Eviation Alice - all-electric plane | FerrariChat

Eviation Alice - all-electric plane

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by ylshih, Jun 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    A big problem with all electric planes is the inability to trade range (fuel) for payload. Not efficient to always having to carry 100% ‘fuel’ wt.

2. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    No problem. Just burn up the battery as you are using it. Already being tried.

teak360 likes this.
  3. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    E-Planes are going to be beautifully quiet.
    And with those wingtip-motors this one should do most excellent hammerheads :)

4. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Will the drone style designs for commuter use fall under the same airplane-style design rules and certifications from the FAA?

SV

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Who knows what a hammerhead is these days?

6. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Shark!

SV

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. Admiral Goodwrench

Admiral Goodwrench Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    Silly, it is the heavy end! :)

Best regards,

Robert

8. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Especially when full fuel equals 60% of mtow!

9. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    True, but aircrft are designed for specific mission profiles, so as long as it fits the mission the benfits of electrics are pretty clear. What does a tuirbine cost to buy and replace, fuel etc, not to mention noise.

Didnt some outfit fit electrics to their Otters for short haul seaplane flights.

Electrics work for short haul and where there is enough turnaround time.

Solid state batteries which are probbaly not maore than 5 years off will double to quadruple energy density of batteries.

In the end a battery future for autos and short haul flights will elave the long haul flights to pertroleum powered aircraft, overall the sky will be quieter and air cleaner.

the future is using the right porpusion emthod for the required job, as opposed to now where we use petroleum for all.

Before lipo batteries cordless tools were a semi joke, and lots of auto shops used air power, now cordless is the practical way to go.

TRhe big issue si where are we gettign the power from in the first place.

Seems like electrics in cars work for cities to keep their air clean and relatvely noisless. In aircraft the big bnefit seems to be significantly reduced short haul operating costs, and way lower noise.

Nurburgringer likes this.
  10. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Real challenge reading your posts, Box.... spelling????

Harbour Air is talking about converting their Beaver and other planes to electric power at some point.
    None have been converted yet.

11. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I don't know of any small aircraft (Part 23) that can carry full fuel and fill the cabin with (adult) passengers. So while their may be a specific mission, the designs leave a lot of room to adjust that mission.

Cape Air is the supposed first customer. They are currently users of C-402's, which have max TO weight of <7000lb. That is less than the battery weight of the Alice, and <50% of the max weight of the Alice.
    https://www.globalair.com/aircraft-for-sale/Specifications?specid=474
    The fact that they run avgas through TSIO-520's is probably a good reason to change. If they were currently flying a fleet of 88 turbine powered aircraft not sure they would be switching. Probably the only reason they are thinking of the Alice is 'multi-engine', as there are a couple single turbines that could match (or exceed) the C-402 performance for a lot less than $4M. Very doubtful if that $4M number for the Alice becomes reality, i.e. it will grow substantially before certification is complete.

^^^^ Might make sense with the Otters as they fly into (more) established bases where a charge cart could be located. Note sure where Harbor flys their Beavers but doubt if you ever see Kenmore Air converting their Beavers to electric. Would not want to get stranded on a remote lake or inlet with a low battery and no means to charge.

12. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

It's Harbour Air (with a U... Canadian spelling, Not Harbor Air (different airline)...

Harbour Air Seaplanes is a scheduled floatplane service, tour and charter airline based in Richmond, British Columbia, Canada. The predominately seaplane airline specializes in routes between Vancouver, Nanaimo, Victoria, Sechelt, Comox, Whistler and the Gulf Islands, primarily with de Havilland Canada floatplanes...., it operates de Havilland Beavers, Otters and Twin Otters.

13. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    oops I was looking at their website before writing that and it still slipped by.

As posted in another forum on this site:
    Q: What did G Washington say when the British asked him what he was doing starting a revolution?
    Ans: Getting rid of 'u';)

14. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    The noise comes from the prop..... not the engine.

Turbine engines cost what they cost because they actually work. An electric plane with range and useful load seems impossible to me. Don't kid yourself thinking they'll be cheap either. Most of the cost in an airplane is due to regulatory and lawsuits.

jcurry likes this.
  15. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Yeah most of what you say is correct. And yes new aircraft almost never work out as planned or on coast except maybe the PC24. But electrics can control prop speed and piston twins make lots of different noises, which is what this plane is replacing. It'l be sold at the advertised price because its a startup and startups raise and burn money, not necessarily make profit.

For its limited mission is may well work, whther that mission can be expanded to a wider market is of course a big question. But with the advent of solid state batteries range will double to tripple thereby expanding the niche, and yes its a niche.

Personaly I think the last carbon emitting transports will be aircraft and ships, thats where the range comes from, carbon fuels are energy dense. I suppose if people were really hungup on emission 50 years from now you can make hydrogen powered turbines, but then the fuel needs to be in round cylinders which means the fuselage.

Electrics will probably have their biggest impact in shgort rnage vertical flight, but lest see, all interesting stuff.

16. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I have a JPI drone.... It's surprisingly noisy for something so small. Multiply the weight of the JPI drone by 1000. You can multiply the noise from the electric props the same IMO. An electric twin will be noisy.

Everything else regarding battery endurance and weight remains to be seen. We shall see. I'd love for electric everything to work out. I just don't think it will. I think hydrogen is the correct answer. But it's fun to watch.