EVO Car of the Year | Page 2 | FerrariChat

EVO Car of the Year

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by bobbyd, Jan 13, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Lol, wonder if I can get an allocation ?

2. Michaelw488

Michaelw488 Karting

Mar 20, 2018
    Full Name:
    Michael W
    Rediculous comparison Pista,Mclaren,GT2,to Ford Fiesta,VW golf,Renault Exc...why not ford gt?exc...$300,000-500,000 to $30,000-50,000?

3. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Buy the Lusso first.

4. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    That's something manufacturers should ask themselves but if one isn't slowing down, the others certainly won't. Or maybe customers should? "The market demands ever-faster cars", that's what the magazine in question pointed out, after all..

5. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    It has turned into a power race. No company wants to be left behind whether it’s useable or not.

m3doc likes this.
  6. JagShergill

JagShergill Formula 3

Dec 31, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Jag shergill
    +10000

7. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Maybe if the Pista sounded more like these, it would evoke more emotion, and not be called "clinical." Just sayin.

8. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    People haved called the turbo F40's sound "agricultural", but yet no one calls the car clinical.

My guess is that there's more to it than the sound. Just saying.

9. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Love those sounds but I always cringe when some chucklehead starts up such an amazing machine and immediately starts revving the piss out of it.
    It is like going up to a stately and beautiful woman and exposing her breasts...it seems demeaning in a way if you get my really weird analogy. It is hard for me to explain.
    I treat my Ferrari’s with respect and unleash their amazing beauty carefully.
    I’m a dork, I know.
    :)

Solid State and Caeruleus11 like this.
  10. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    I think so too, but their review doesn't say anything ""bad"" other than this:
    "They’ve succeeded, and like everything else about the Pista on track, it feels right at home. Here you can really feel what the car can do, whereas on the road it’s a constant exercise in self restraint. That’s not really Ferrari’s fault - the market demands ever-faster cars - but it doesn’t help that the V8 is now more about getting the job done rather than the sheer pleasure of an extraordinary engine, as it was with the 458 Speciale’s operatic and awe-inspiring naturally aspirated screamer. The Pista trades just a little of that car’s emotive qualities for an even faster, more exploitable drive."

So, yeah, they clearly miss the Speciale engine and its soundtrack, even if they praise the Pista's TTV8 for its numbers and power delivery. Nothing about "tactility", feedback, driver's involvement etc.

"From its ultra quick but faithful steering, delicate sense of balance and superb damping, the Pista is not a car you need to fight. Yes, you have to be wary of the engine’s colossal outputs, but it’s a car you get to know quickly, and build a rapport with. The beauty of the electronic systems is that you can go to nearly everything off, but still feel like you’re completely in control of the car. FDE will allow the rear tyres to bonfire, as long as it feels you’re not doing anything stupid: provoke it too hard, too early in a slide and you’ll feel it deftly step in, but be smooth and it’s an amazing feeling to have so much expression combined with the reasurrence of a guardian angel".

I'd expect the problems that determined its ranking in the COTY test to be brought up in the review. Otherwise, what are these reviewers even doing?

BarryK and Caeruleus11 like this.
  11. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    the f40 is a raw car which doesn't have traction control, stability control or abs

the 488 pista is a car which electronics make it driveable in the first place, completely difference experiences imo

BarryK likes this.
  12. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Ha ha!! :)

I too would never rev mine like that, nor would I expose my wife's breasts in public. However, if someone else is willing to do such things with theirs, I'm most certainly not averse to observing... :)

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  13. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    For me its more like if you are a great athlete and you decided after sitting for a bit, to immediately go as hard as you can. Something bad is going to happen. Of course, if the car has just been run properly, and if these are friends/ fellow enthusiasts/ asking to rev, then its a different story. They are asking you share the experience with them. I think that's what the person revving the engine is trying to do.

14. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I remember when the Speciale came out and people were very upset with the sound. There is a very long thread, if I remember correctly, titled: "Speciale Sound Crisis". Yes, they called it a crisis. I'm not so sure any professional reviewers ever said that, but I remember the reviews of the time, they all said the Speciale was a nice improvement over the Italia, but not a towering one. And some did criticize the sound. Some wondered if it was worth it. What do we think today?

I have heard the Pista in person- for not long enough- but long enough to know it doesn't sound clinical. It's still an emotional sound. Just different.

stavura, kandi and BarryK like this.
  15. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Yes, but this is a criticism of older cars v modern cars. I find my F40 to be completely drivable and controllable- however it can be prompted to be a whole lot of fun. I think the wildly staggered tire setup encourages low speed understeer- which I think was the stability control of the late 80s. The magic of the newer Ferraris is they somehow transmit that same fun to you, sometimes even more, whilst maintaining an invisible safety net around you. We are not professional race car drivers. We want to drive these cars, enjoy these cars, and then come home so we can enjoy our lives and families and then go do it again.... The classic and vintage cars are all really amazing and I love them, but the modern cars are also incredible.

junc and exoticcardreamer like this.
  16. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Who is actually responsible for the exposing of the breasts? The man approaching her or the woman herself?

17. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
  18. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Exactly.

I think part of the issue may be to do with EVO doing a pure road test and nothing on track. They seem to highlight the "issue" that they couldn't engage with it as much they would have liked. As a track-biased car with the massive performance, finding the upper reaches (even remotely legally) on the road is going to be impossible. I can imagine that could leave people frustrated. But this is a result of the performance arms race while our roads remain the same for 30 years, and not necessarily any fault of the car.

F140C likes this.
  19. howydo

howydo Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2009
    I
    Agree the Pista shouldn’t be 6th for sure . The only real contenders are the GT2 RS and 600LT. I’ve driven the 600LT too and I have to disagree on the no soul comment. Don’t know if it’s better than the Pista (likely not) but it’s one hell of a car and looks very nice to me especially for a car that’s half the price !!

SoCal to az, IPO1 and Gh21631 like this.
  20. lamborarri

lamborarri Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2015
    I have driven both McLaren 600LT and Porsche 911 GT2 RS. They are very expected in term of driving experience and everything. If Pista is not better than them as an overall package, or if the Pista is just a little bit better version of 488, I would be upset tbh. Well, let's see.

21. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    The man...showing her off.
    Not the best of analogies, but captures my feeling of shame and pity to exploit one facet of an amazing diamond.

22. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Just came across this one EVO's website: looks like the readers disagree quite a lot with their ranking, especially the 600LT. And the Pista looks more popular than in the article.

I can see why the Alpine is so popular - picked up mine on Saturday, and despite the weather, drove almost 400km. Great little car.

Attached Files:

F140C likes this.
  23. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark

As to being “overpriced” ask yourself this: why are they selling them so well people are paying a premium just to get the OPPORTUNITY to buy one? If they were overpriced no one would buy it!

24. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Cars are purchased for a variety of reasons. Some buyers simply want to add a specific model to their collection, others see it as a profitable investment while many want to own the car for its aesthetic or performance qualities. Classifying a car as " overpriced" while in essence an objective metric, has taken on a more complex set of ingredients. For example, if a 488 costs X to manufacture and sells for X plus 25% while the Pista costs X plus 10% to manufacture is it overpriced it it sells for 3 times X ?

25. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo