Evora 400 review | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Evora 400 review

Discussion in 'British' started by sburke, Aug 5, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    fantastic article! thanks for the link.
    its exactly what ive been saying about my elise for years now. no other car has such perfect balance and is as easy on consumables. evora adds the comfort and power mine lacks but my open top is worth more to me. if only lotus made a targa 410...

2. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Speaking of a Targa, or such, whatever happened to the Evora Spyder/Convertible which was promised about 4 years ago?

3. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    there are still rumors of it but no real news.
    btw, there is a guy who made his evora into a targa himself. looks pretty good too. so stupid of lotus not to make.

4. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    I'm guessing there must be some structural or tooling problems, but I'm not in their inner loop.

5. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    That guys car looks good. He claims it didn't affect the structural integrity etc yadda yadda but I guess time will tell. I wish he would show a LOT more photos of it.

6. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    my bet is its not structural at all. Its regulations and the cost to certify it multiple markets. Short cited on lotus part if true. I imagine enough potential customers like me would make up the costs to produce it.

7. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I think that over the next couple of years we are going to see big changes at Lotus. I have followed Geely for the past couple years (bought and sold the stock about 25 times), and my guess is they are going to expand (I would not be surprised to a performance SUVish vehicle) the line as well as the footprint of the brand. They will not accomplish their long term goals with the dealer network they in place right now. Think Porsche, if I were a betting man, I'd say they follow their pattern.

8. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    One of the R&T guys takes the 400 test car home for the day, just picture but the words are worth a read

9. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    I test drove an Evora 400 in Houston over the weekend: manual trans, medium dark green w/ black interior & rear seat delete. What an absolutely marvelous car! I found it to be extremely well-built, the shifter was very precise, it idled perfectly, and the AC worked ... in Texas in the summer! I also want to add how nice the folks were at the dealership.
    This was a great experience! I want one!:D

nicholasn, dmundy and au-yt like this.
  10. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    The next discovery is driving one:):):)

11. dmundy

dmundy Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 11, 2010
    Unspecified
    Full Name:
    Arthur Dent
    Arg...
    I want to go test drive one. But I already have too many cars.

12. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    If you drive a 400 you'll be selling another car to make room

Lotaz and Carnut like this.
  13. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I don't have the 400 but my Evora gives me a big ole smile every time I fire it up and hit the road.

au-yt likes this.
  14. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Lotaz, having driven a new 400 but no other Evoras, would I be disappointed in an Evora S? That's the most plausible candidate to end up in my garage. Thanks!

15. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    You might be. I test drove a 400 and there was not enough difference for me to jump from my NA Evora to a 400 but there is a big difference in car. Fit and finish seems much better, getting in and out much easier and a good amount of power, better brakes (Evoras have good brakes either way). Some people like the styling better. I personally like the older models better but taste is subjective. I paid in the mid $40s for my car used in 2014 (2010 Sport with 4k miles). 100k + for a 400 was just too big of a jump.

As an FYI after I bought my NA I thought I would go to an S model. But after driving them back to back a few times I couldn't tell the difference through the seat of my pants except sound. I kept thinking for the extra 15k there should have been a decent difference. Long story short I kept the NA and passed on the S. The 400, once they have more used and they come down in price there is a chance I would pick one up. I have seen some used in the 70k price range. I would definitely rather get a 400 for 70K than an S for 55K to 60K. Food for thought.

16. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Interesting. I loved driving the 400, but I far prefer the looks of the original Evora. To me the 400 has too many creases and too many hard angles in its air vents, etc. Looks like a mid-engined GTR, if you ask me. OTOH, the 400 is very well built, easy to get in and out of, and an absolutely superb drive.

Lotaz likes this.
  17. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott

I definitely agree.

18. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    Horses for courses, I was never a fan of the NA or S, but the more aggressive 400 was a no brainer. I hadn’t seen one until last August when there was on on display at the airport, red with the Black option. I always found the Evora, roofline odd (kimbely’s fault for being so tall) but the black for me slims it. My favourite of all the Evora series is the GTE, but as I said horses for courses.

19. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    I agree that the black is slenderizing, as the health clubs say.

20. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    A very interesting article in the Lotus Forum, and the highlight part for me
    https://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/95493-mclaren-540c-vs-evora-410/
    "Now to the ride quality and here the Lotus shines out way above the 570S, handling minor potholes and rough surfaces way better than the McLaren. It is just so much better damped and on a fairly demanding drive over one of my favourite routes it has great poise, handling superbly well with a sure footed feel. As for the steering, that is just sublime and at least as good as the 570S, possibly even better."

21. dmundy

dmundy Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 11, 2010
    Unspecified
    Full Name:
    Arthur Dent
    Soooo...

I did test drive one and it’s a very interesting car. I think it’s also in a tough spot. I don’t want one, but that’s mostly because I’m fortunate enough to have several cars. If I could only have one, or even only one fun car, it would be very near the top of the list. It’s was only a dealer test loop,so my impressions are limited.

VERY comfortable in terms of ride.
    Fast enough to be fun.
    Steering seemed very good.
    I like the way it looks.
    Surprisingly livable when stuck in traffic. Maybe more than a 997.
    Overall I liked it a lot.

22. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Just saw an Evora on the road this morning - not a fan of the front, but from the rear the car looks fantastic.

Much better looking in person than in pictures!

23. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    Yes they don't necessarily photograph well, but was it 400/410 or an earlier N/A or S? Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
  25. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name: