Excess fuel in cat converter | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Excess fuel in cat converter

Discussion in '348/355' started by yelcab, May 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    My experience as well. On a previous carb 308 and even on my later 355, I had issues early in the ownership with water getting in the plug wells, and it would cause a miss. Happened from washing or "horrors!" driving in the rain. ;) The only fix was to replace the offending plug or plugs (once fouled, always fouled?). I eventually fixed the issues with water getting in the plug wells with new plug wire caps on the 308, and on the 355 it needed a new paper gasket on the valve cover plate, and replace the missing block piece where the wires enter the valve cover. I guess crazier stuff can happen, but I've never experienced a failed plug...but fouled a few.

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Solution verified. Went a long drive this morning and the long term fuel trim came down to 2.3... Normal.

I even know how to explain the fuel trim climbing up when there is a dead plug.

f355spider and SoCal1 like this.
  3. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky

That's great. Mitch.

Yep, LTFT will go up because bad plug (misfire) dumps un-burnt mixture of fuel and air into exhaust. You can explain it. I'll correct you if you're wrong. ;)