Exercises You May Want to Eliminate | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Exercises You May Want to Eliminate

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by billyfitness, Jul 8, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. billyfitness

billyfitness Formula Junior

Feb 14, 2006
    Overland Park, KS
    Full Name:
    Bill Leavitt
    It's the one with the movable arms that articulate 180 degrees and individual handles. It is a version of a cable crossover.
    They make selectorized, other pieces as well.

-Billy

2. billyfitness

Feb 14, 2006
    Overland Park, KS
    Full Name:
    Bill Leavitt
    PRS: That is a great strategy, really.

Only thing I do differently is not dedicating a day to legs.

I find I can throw in 2 or 3 sets of legs within your Day 1/2 workouts and a Core/Torso/Abs ex btwn most sets.

For instance today:

- Chest (4 sets DB press) abs in btwn each set (ball crunch, x-over crunch on ball, feet anchored crunch on ball , tube crunch on ball)
    - DB Deadlift (3 sets) super-setted w/Tricep Pushdowns (3 versions)
    - Cable (Free Motion, standing) and Machine Flys (1 set of each) SS'd w/side crunches on ball
    - DB Overhead Press (standing, 1 set tog, 1 alt) SS'd w/walking Lunge

That's 22 Sets plus 2 jump rope sessions of 2m each. Out of there in an hour.

-Billy

3. billyfitness

Feb 14, 2006
    Overland Park, KS
    Full Name:
    Bill Leavitt
    It depends on how many days that week you plan on working out.

If it's 2 then Push-Legs-Torso & Pull-Legs-Torso

If it's 3 or 4 then something like PRS rec'd or 2 Push and 2 Pull

Of it's 1 then total body

-Billy

4. billyfitness

Feb 14, 2006
    Overland Park, KS
    Full Name:
    Bill Leavitt
    #54 billyfitness, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    #55 Chupacabra, Jul 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
    I do four days a week of lifting and I always try to be out in 45 min or a little less. Two body parts plus abs each session. I feel like I get a much better workout by making myself focus and getting everything done in that amount of time. I also run 3-6 miles 4-6 days a week, occasionally up to 10 miles in addition to lots of drumming, surfing, whatever, so I don't feel the need to do a million sets per gym workout.

IMO, any more than 45 mins is overtraining, especially if you're active outside of the gym. It could also be under training if you're doing 15 minutes of working out and 45 minutes of talking! Real disease in my gym... :)

6. MITYRARE

MITYRARE F1 Rookie

May 21, 2008
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Paul
    pain when raising or lowering arm... throbbing pain at night... when raising the arm it gets to a specific point where the pain is felt and strength is lost instantly...once past that point the arm is good again...and again on lowering the arm the same "point" of pain and strength loss... feels like a bump or snag in the tendon that "catches" going up and down at one specific spot

I can however rotate my arm around the "catch point" such that I can raise it and lower it without pain.... the pain spot is in a very specific place.

beev

7. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I usually go 5-6 days/week. Days that I don't make it I usually end up getting some other form of exercise around the house. I've been getting really good results from just doing one body part coupled with 30 minutes of cardio each day. I have been thinking about trying to fit in 2 body parts instead of just one, but I just wasn't sure if I would keep building mass like I have been if I made the switch.

8. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Thanks, good to know. I've been having a burning sensation in the middle of my tricep, but no pain when the muscle is used, only when extending behind my body or coming across the front with my palm up. I think it's probably nerve-related and actually somewhere in my neck, but I figured I would ask in case!

9. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Ah okay, thanks. I use it.

10. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I'm normally able to get a full workout in 45 minutes.

11. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    I joined 24HR in January, started going three times a week about two weeks ago (don't ask why it took six months to start going), that's one of the machines I am starting with.
    I have zero stamina now, so it's going to be a long, slow journey, but I'll get there.

12. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I started going regularly (4-5 times/wk) in March and the change has been very noticeable. My weight loss didn't start to accelerate until I started tracking my calories.

13. billyfitness

Feb 14, 2006
    Overland Park, KS
    Full Name:
    Bill Leavitt
    Great!

It would be worth your time to hire a trainer to show you a bunch of exercises with correct form and options just on that machine alone.

-Billy

14. billyfitness

Feb 14, 2006
    Overland Park, KS
    Full Name:
    Bill Leavitt
    I have a relatively new client who you would say is in great shape and works out 6 days a week. He leaned up and lost 8# in just two weeks by just eliminating grains, particularly wheat and corn.

Systemic Inflammation...Internal Bloating

-Billy

15. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I never really understood why chest, tris & back bis instead of mixing it up. Something like Chest, bis & back, tris for focus; it gives you a touch on everything as well.

I am assuming that you push hard when working a group so is this approach just to conserve time?

16. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    I think a lot of people just combine push/push and pull/pull to avoid overtraining (not in terms of volume, just too much use from day to day). At least that's why I do it. Of course, you can easily adjust a weekly routine and make what you're talking about work, too. I once had a great growth period working each group on a rotating weekly schedule every 5 days. Can be a little difficult to keep track of, though.

17. billyfitness

Feb 14, 2006
    Overland Park, KS
    Full Name:
    Bill Leavitt
    It's more about synergized movement pattern(s) for me.

If you are pushing, say opening a door, you are using anterior delt, tricep, pec. Pulling a door: back-biceps. So, sort of training the body in real-life scenario.

Also, if your goal includes hypertrophy, the focus of the workout is usually on breaking muscle groups down.

A DB Press for example involves all 3 musc. groups: chest, ant. delt, & triceps.
    A Fly takes out the triceps
    An overhead press takes out the Pecs
    A tricep pushdown, just tri's.
    etc...

In fact, we know that when a muscle fiber gets trained to exhaustion/failure, it actually incurs micro tears in the fibril structure itself to which amino acids come in to build & fill. (very simplified Physiology!)

So, my thought process is if you are focussing on breaking down and maximally contracting say, the Triceps, then to put emphasis into the opposite muscle group: Biceps, is sort of like stretching, taking away emphasis/max contraction from the previous group. Me, I like to drive mental focus to one side of the joint in a given workout. Although there is no such thing as complete muscle isolation but emphasis only, and depending on the way the resistance falls or the way you load you can add or subtract certain muscles from the movement, and realizing the opposite group could actually working as a stabilizer and is contracting eccentrically/negative, all are involved to a certain degree. Thus the Progression & Variation thought process is empirical.

That said, there is nothing wrong with a lighter resistance, total body, circuit-training style of workout once in a while to mix it up.

-Billy

18. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Interesting thoughts. I don't train for max size but that doesn't exclude moderate to high weights and strength. For example, I can work 210 on the bench without much concern but I don't lift 300+ any more, shoulder can't take it. I also do some light weight, very high rep workouts. After the first 100+ reps those 15 lb dumbbells get heavy and you can wake up extremely sore the next morning.

I lift every other day so that probably has an impact on my pattern. I have always worked opposing groups so I could focus on 2 muscle groups on any given day. They get hit again lightly the other days but with no real focus. This pretty much lets me hit everything solid a couple of times per week. BUT, no serious effort went into structuring this workout so maybe it is all wrong. Hence the question.

19. billyfitness

Feb 14, 2006
    Overland Park, KS
    Full Name:
    Bill Leavitt
    Nobody's shoulder can...stay away from the bench press. Db's are far more effective.

Soreness is not a good thing nor the sign of a good workout. And, excessive repetitions under load, no matter how much it is, can predispose you to any of the Itis's: Tendinitis, Bursitis, etc... and cartilage or ligament problems.

Triceps & Abs are 2 muscle groups
    Legs and Shoulders are 2 muscle groups
    Chest/Ant Deltoids & Abs are 2 muscle groups
    Back & Hamstrings are 2 muscle groups

Just my two cents, but don't always put yourself in the opposing muscle group game. Focusing on one joint movement, or one side of the joint, say elbow extension (Triceps), has always been more effective for me.

-Billy

20. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    First time I've heard this. Can you expound? I get sore after most workouts.

21. MITYRARE

MITYRARE F1 Rookie

May 21, 2008
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Paul

Ya whats up with this?

second day after and BAM...its a killer! What am I doing wrong?

Does Billy know a way to eliminate DOMS?... do tell

beev

22. billyfitness

Feb 14, 2006
    Overland Park, KS
    Full Name:
    Bill Leavitt
    #72 billyfitness, Aug 17, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
    It's not that Billy knows some secret to avoid DOMS (Delayed Onset of Muscle Soreness) it's that there are choices and considerations to weigh before and after a workout and in designing the next to avoid getting to that place.

BUT, I am saying is that DOMS is NOT a sign of a good workout. Just because you aren't sore the day after a workout does not mean it wasn't effective. So many people have a misconception of this and why so many end up over-training and getting injured. The 'More is Better' ~ 'No Pain - No Gain' mentality is just BS. We like to say No Brain No Gain!

If you are sore after a workout, there are a few things to consider for the next time you put a workout together:

- Too many sets for the same muscle group?
    - Did you choose too many Reps or Load?
    - What was your rest interval?
    - Did you choose an exercise that your current joint range of motion (and respective muscle & connective tissue) couldn't handle?
    - Was the range excessive?
    - Was the Tempo/Speed controlled (or part of your goal) and Inertia/Momentum have to be negotiated/dissipated?
    - Is it really muscle soreness or is it connective tissue that's sore? (tendon, ligament, bursa, fascia, cartilage)
    - Is it lactic acid build-up or some other chemical by-product of muscle contraction?
    - Are/Were you dehydrated?
    - What kind of fuel was in the system prior to, during, and after the workout?
    - How did you re-cooperate. (Rest & Nutrition are just as important as the workout itself)
    - Are you taking some funky supplement the guy at GNC with the huge biceps rec'd? :)
    - Was an exercise performed that you haven't done in a while (or ever) and you over-did it? (I always think of how sore I am after jumping on a trampoline or rock climbing, or yard work. So, not bad, just under-prepared and over-done)
    - Did you progress appropriately to do the exercise(s) that (you think) got you sore? (Go right into the 90# db's the first day back)
    - Did you have too many days off in between training that muscle group?
    - Did you just do the same exercise the same way too many times? ...Ignoring the principle of Variation? (Even a single joint mvt like biceps (elbow flexion) can be performed a ton of different ways to stimulate the different muscles that comprise the area and move the joint.
    - Was the muscle that's sore used as a mover or stabilizer?
    - Was there compensation involved in the movement? Did ya cheat?!!

Anyway, it is rare that I or any of my clients are ever sore. I construct workouts with a goal that day, that week, that month, and perhaps 4-6 weeks out in mind with all of those considerations (and more) in mind. Getting bigger Pecs is not about flopping down on the bench and hoisting weight up and down.

Progression, Variation, Risk, and Benefit are always the pinnacle of my thought process.

-Billy