Exhaust advice, hate the stock sport system | FerrariChat

Exhaust advice, hate the stock sport system

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Rule12b, Jun 22, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rule12b

Rule12b Karting

Jun 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Our 2015 Cali T has the optional "sport" exhaust from the factory. It sounds like a tractor at startup and cold idle and worse, drones a LOT at freeway speeds in my opinion. I'm considering aftermarket options, but only interested in valvetronics that work like stock (as in ECU-controlled). Looking to avoid drone, but don't mind loud when you are deep into the fun pedal. I'd appreciate anyone sharing experiences of their own. . .

2. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    One thing I would suggest is to look at your window sticker; in 2015 the "sport exhaust" option was about $800 and had nothing to do with the exhaust itself, it was only changing the tips integrated into the bumpers.

The stock exhaust on my 2015 T -- also with the "sport exhaust" tips option -- did not drone at all. I think they are all loud at startup because the valves are open then.

Is it possible a previous owner put a different exhaust on there?

You can do the factory sports exhaust from the HS Speciale car. I believe that is made by Tubi. (It is a bit louder, has some of the burbling when you left off the gas, and overall is throatier and more aggressive sounding if you drive it hard, but it does drone a bit at idle and low RPMs on the freeway.)

Or you can do a Capristo, or various other manufacturers, I believe they can either be integrated with the factory valve system or you can add a separate controller to open them manually or leave them closed all the time.

Hopefully others who have modified can share their thoughts.

whatheheck likes this.
  3. Snewton94024

Snewton94024 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2015
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Steve Newton
    The factory sport exhaust was tips only. No change to the sound.
    If there is droning it is because someone has already made a modification of some kind.
    I have the factory exhaust from the HS model at $4,500 installed on my 2016 T and it is great. No droning at all but far more aggressive than stock. I love it.

4. Rule12b

Rule12b Karting

Jun 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Yep, it's just the tips. It doesn't appear to be modified but perhaps I'm just sensitive to the sound of it. I'll investigate further.

5. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    Kline x-pipe,Tubi mufflers with stock valves,Capristo controller--I love it.

6. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Drone to me sounds like muffler delete?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Sounds like a great combo. Would you happen to have a short video on what your setup sounds like?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. Mafiaboy1975

Mafiaboy1975 Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2019
    South Africa
    Full Name:
    Mick
    I have a Capristo with remote.

It pitch sounds the same but louder, what is much nicer though is the pops when you lift off with the Capristo. I drive with it permanently open as the setting on the remote but can take the edge off for that Sunday early morning start and drive out not to wake the neighbors.

I have owned a few very loud Porsches and BMW M cars so this was a must for me. I’m really glad I did it.

Pretty much made up my mind that the next car is a F12... though, I need that V12 sound !!

I believe there is a guys selling a brand new Capristo he purchased for his car on the forum but never installed as he sold the car. Look under classifieds I remember seeing it a few weeks back.

You can find the HS option for about $3000 and the install is dirt easy.

I did mine in about an hour. No need to remove the bumper if you not doing a remote. You can use the wheel wells to get in by removing the lower rear covers and wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

whatheheck likes this.
  9. Rule12b

Rule12b Karting

Jun 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    Richard
    This is good information. Unfortunately I'm a believer in the functionality of an ECU governed flap for performance reasons. A little back pressure down low helps build torque so a pure manual set up isn't for me.