Exhaust bolts/springs/spacer question | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Exhaust bolts/springs/spacer question

Discussion in '308/328' started by Saabguy, Oct 12, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    On my '81, NA, ... Yes.

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I'd characterize it as needed for cats, but a better thing than just simple bolts+nuts on any exhaust system.

Obviously, the euros seems to be getting by without them (so, without cats, you probably could too), but, if I was valuing a US version car, and it didn't have the spring-type system, I'd deduct the value to replace them (like any other missing component). Likewise, if a euro had the spring-type system, I'd give it a little plus value. JMOs.

3. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    #28 Peter, Feb 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'd be curious to see how you sort out all of your files in your computer if you're putting photos of Ferrari parts in the same folder with Swedish girls ;)

In any case, the photo you posted is the one I took several years ago of the bolts I purchased for my car and to this day, everything is still in place (I wish Ferrari still used these cool ziploc bags for their stuff), nothing has vibrated loose. The key is the split lock nut Ferrari used in this application.

FWIW, for future reference, here are the P/Ns (all for the 288 GTO):

118094 - bolt
    114749 - spacer
    111743 - spring
    114748 - lock nut
    112761 - washer (3 needed per assembly).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Awesome. Thanks Peter. Was looking for this exact info!

5. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    Thanks steve - I've seen that (very helpful) diagram of yours before. With my system it just seems that the pipes need to be set towards the limit of some of the rotation available in order to get the thing lined up.

I might have another look at it in due course - I have been thinking about putting the "shouty" stainess exhaust back on it for this summer anyway (just a standard one on there at the moment). The setup of the pipes between the two systems I have also needs to be very different as well, so I have to readjust everything to swap them (including the lengths of the spring hangers).

6. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    Random question. With the spring bolt system that has the nut, bolt, spring, spacer and two washers, how does the spring compress with the spacer holding the washers back?

7. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Just to confirm, the spacer is short enough that as you tighten the bolt it compresses the spring and the limit on that compression is the spacer. the spacer is shorter than the unloaded length of the spring.

The assembly is this:

Bolt >washer>spacer inside spring>washer> exhaust flange>washer>nut

Lester

8. Tarik

Tarik Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2011
    Philly Suburbs
    Full Name:
    Tarik
    ...and I assume all US QVs use them... My '83 does.

9. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    #34 Pizzaman Chris, Feb 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I was reading Steve's section here and was hoping the trick would work on aftermarket exhaust?
    I got the whole Stebro system, headers and muffler/exhaust, and its off a tad. I can't tell if the bolts with the springs is the issue or its just the system itself.

Us aftermarket guys do we need to install the springs too? Or can we get away with just the bolts with washers and nuts?

10. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Can you post an overall photo of your exhaust system with the Stebro? If it has fewer joints/pieces in the path, this adjustment freedom can be lost, and you will be much more dependent on the fabrication accuracy/inaccuracy of the aftermarket silencer.

11. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    Like you said, fewer joints on it.

Here's what it looks like bolted on. It's missing a few bolts

12. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Yes, you lose some adjustability with that one-piece system that bolts directly to the header ends.

13. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Chris,

If you cannot "even out" those exhaust tips, I admit, I'd come un-glued.

14. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #39 Steve Magnusson, Feb 28, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
    Did you buy that Stebro system used (i.e., someone modified it, or it's really for a different year/model/version) and/or add the O2 sensor bungs yourself? Maybe the thermocoupe bungs were added to have a place to keep them and/or help "fool" an emission inspector, but I would leave them out (and cap the bungs) as they would just be useless obstructions (as is the bung). If you cut an inch or two out of the "long" pipe length going to the 5-8 header, it might improve the symmetry of the tip locations and reduce the angle misalignment of the other joint some, but you may have to crush the snot out of that 1-4 bank gasket with simple bolts+nuts anyway to seal it up -- just some random thoughts...

15. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That's how an early NON CAT system looks (emulating ANSA) and the only spring sets are indeed at the header tri-flange.

My pics are in no particular order, they sort numerical and then by alphabet, so "springs" is next to "Swedish".....sorry!

I do need to sort them all, some day...

16. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris

No the system I got new a few years ago. I added the bungs for my O2 sensor. I caped one when not in use. The small port ones I believe are for the "slow down" lights. I was going to hook them up but they, probes, got too much of a bend on them. So I'm going to plug them up. Just need to find the size and some sort of plug.

But I'll tell you, if I don't use the donuts, the fit is perfect. Yes, I really did a number on that donut. :eek:

I think the small bend is whats giving me trouble.

17. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Yes, if you could "unwind" that side a little, it would fit better.

18. chris_columbia

chris_columbia Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 5, 2008
    Columbia MD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I'm resurrecting this old thread, because I needed a replacement like the original poster, and wanted something same day. It doesn't look like anyone could provide some off-the-shelf aftermarket part number. Advanced Auto/Autozone seem to carry what was needed pretty commonly: Use the spring from Dorman 03107 and the bolt/nut from Dorman 03146. The only mod required, was that the step on the bolt to seat the spring was just a tiny bit too big in diameter, so had to grind for 30 seconds on grinding wheel. A dremel or better yet a lath would work too. I went to a couple different auto places before I found this successful setup.

With a little more time, would have ordered the "right" spring and used M8 hardware.

Saabguy likes this.
  19. chasjen

chasjen Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2013
    Dublin, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Charlie
    I'm installing a Tubi exhaust and plan on cleaning up (they're rusty) the stock bolts, nuts and springs. Anybody know the torque values? Thanks.