EXHAUST CAM: Left&RIght interchangeability | FerrariChat

EXHAUST CAM: Left&RIght interchangeability

Discussion in '360/430' started by 24000rpm, Jul 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

360 Modena, I want to know if the LH exhaust camshaft can be interchangeable with RH exhaust camshaft.
    The reason behind this is price. They are 3x difference although I can't visually see too much of a difference

the only 2 differences I can see are
    1. timing mark's position ( will not affect the cam's function if you know how to do timing)
    2. the "counterweight" bump's angular position. Is it a counterweight? I am not sure. What purpose does it serve otherwise?

other than these 2 difference, i would say these 2 cams are identical and can be interchanged ( so that I can only buy 2x the cheaper one, which is about a little more than $1000 each

Image Unavailable, Please Login )

2. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

if you see in pic that they are of difference length, that's because of my camera angles. They are identical in length if you remove the variator.

oil holes are identically positioned. profiles are the same to naked eye.

3. Bwtyler85

Bwtyler85 Karting

Oct 25, 2015
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    Ben Tyler
    Not sure but is there a sensor that lines up with that tab that is in a different position.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

4. duck.co.za

duck.co.za Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2007
    Cape Town South Afri
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Counter weight ? Cam position sensor trigger ? I Think that will be a problem . What is wrong with your cam ? I should have a spare , only problem will be the time to ship from South Africa .

5. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

ah! right, that's for the cam position sensor maybe.

nothing wrong with my cam. i am going to unscrew the variator, preparing for a broken cam.

6. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I have a full set of cams from an 01 including variators and only 10k miles for sale. All 4 for less than one new cam if you end up needing them.
    The cams are not interchangeabl left to right. The sensor for the timing variators that goes through your cam cover is picking up where that nub is on the cam. It would completely confuse your variable cam timing if you had a cam from the wrong side installed.

7. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

if i break it, i'll let you know.