Exhaust observation. | FerrariChat

Exhaust observation.

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by F456M, Oct 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Hi guys. I had the pleasure of hearing a 250 which has the best V12 sound I have ever heared! So looked at the pipes and they have just one single muffler under the footwell and then thin pipes going back with just polished tips at the rear. The manifold looks like this. 6-1 like Fabio’s headers. No wonder why they sound so good. Have anyone knowledge why so many V12s have four 3-1 manifolds?? Ferrari also went this route on many 70-ies models continuing all the way up to 599 GTB. But the 6-1 on the 599 GTO and newer. Why? I see also Murciélagos and even Aventador have 4x 3-1 headers, but the Aventador has one X-pipe for the two front 3-1 plus one more X-pipe for the rear 3-1 headers. But they don’t go together at any point (to my knowledge). But they sound fantastic..... I must say I don’t understand why my 550 sounds so boring. Now I welded the Quicksilver X pipe so that it is one separate pipe for each bank. And Hyperflow cats. Still no good sound with valves open and straight through exhaust even it is loud. It is frustrating after so many $$$ spent over several years. I considder to put on cat delete pipes, but then I need (probably) new mufflers too. This really sucks
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    The only way to get that high pitched F1 style noise is to go 6-1. I've heard Fabio's exhaust in person (on his car) and it makes the 550 sounds like it should. I'm a big 550/575 fan but it sounds boring from the factory. Even with a nice set of mufflers it's still no match for 6-1 headers.

F456M likes this.
  3. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik

When I put on an X-pipe and muffler delete pipes on my 456M it had a really great sound with the original catalyzers. Both when idling, when accelleration and de-celerating! On boats with «staggered» engine set-up, one engine is mounted to the transom (far back) in the engine compartment and the pipes goes straight out of the boat on that engine. The other engine is mounted in front of the rear engine for better balance in the boat and to enable the propellers go be closed to each other and longer down towards the keel. This engine have about 3-4 feet longer exhaust pipes than the other rear mounted engine. When you start them up one by one, there is clearly a difference in sound. The one with the longer pipes have a «trumpet-like sound and sounds better on cold starts. But is quieter when warm. That is also because when you start the engines, it takes about 5-10 seconds before the cooling water is Nice with the exhaust inside the pipes. So these two facts lead me to believe that the rear mufflers actually reduce the sound quality. It would be better to just have those thin tips. As some of you who have heared several old Ferraris know, the older cars without catalyzers are not very loud at idle, but get a really great sound picture as you get up in revs. So my idea of a perfect exhaust with flaps would be to make the flaps on the two pipes under the car where the resonator is and then have one center muffler that the exhaust goes into. In that way, we could get both great sound when open but also great sound just muffled and at lower decibel for more relaxing cruise speed. If you look at old Jaguar Mk2 or Triumph Stag or Austin Healeys, they all sound fantastic and have no rear mufflers. Just long pipes with thin rear tips.....

Please add your thoughs and experiences.

4. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik

No cats or mufflers. Not really what I am looking for either. I just want the car to sound awesome then I sit inside and drive it. It don’t need to be loud at all.

5. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    This sounds great. Anybody know what is on this? From front to back. The video says Tubi. But that doesn’t tella lot.