Exhaust open flaps diy from under the hood easy version | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Exhaust open flaps diy from under the hood easy version

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by empiremotors, Mar 5, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Please can you tell me if you do the same plug up the hose on in the engine bay on a Cali T to keep the valves open?

2. mgracmaz

mgracmaz Rookie

Sep 12, 2019
    Full Name:
    Sr G
    Hello all, I just did it in my Cali30 HS, it works perfectly, just 5 minutes diy adds more growl at low rpm, it’s awesome! thank you

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Had a look at my Cali T and there are a lot of hose's had a look near the dipstick but I am not sure if its any of these, anyone know for sure?
    This is a pic of my engine bay if you click on it you will get a larger version.
    Thanks

4. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Anyone know if there is a fuse you can pull to keep the valves open, some people say they have done this with an F12 of the same era?

5. Jboz

Jboz Rookie

Oct 11, 2019
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Justin B

I too am curious to hear everyone's thoughts on the Cali T as well. Let me know if you figure this before I start unhooking lines :)

6. Jboz

Jboz Rookie

Oct 11, 2019
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Justin B

I've read a few things that suggest that most Cali Ts (later models), the vacuum actually opens the valves, so disconnecting would leave them constantly closed. Can anyone confirm?

7. Tubi Sales

Tubi Sales Karting

Jul 5, 2019
    PHX
    I'm not 100% when the change was but the early model California T was setup like most

That is correct. You can always have someone make you a dummy plug to help prevent that check engine light since, all it is looking for is for a closed circuit.

whatheheck likes this.
  8. Andrew Leather-Barrow

Oct 9, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Andrew Leather-Barrow
    I have just ordered the materials to make my own remote control system for my california.
    Plug and play totally reversible.
    Parts total cost £12.00 including remote control key fob and remote diaphragm electronic valve

I will post when fitted.
    Cheers Andrew

9. Andrew Leather-Barrow

Oct 9, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Andrew Leather-Barrow
    Right I assembled all the parts that I purchased today, works like a charm for the princely sum of less than $10 including cable fitted.
    $299,00 bucks for the kit ready assembled online seems excellent value .

Please see pictures

Attached Files:

whatheheck likes this.
  10. Peter Chong

Peter Chong Rookie

Sep 6, 2019
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Peter Chong
    This method works !!!
    So much easier than working at the rear exhaust valves.
    Now I just need to order the remote on/off control module and solenoid valve and will be perfect.
    Thanks a lot !!!

Andrew Leather-Barrow likes this.
  11. Nick.C

Nick.C Rookie

Oct 14, 2019
    Full Name:
    nicholas chatburn
    Awesome... thanks for that. Just saved me $2000 instead of having the x pipe muffler delete fitted.

12. Jboz

Jboz Rookie

Oct 11, 2019
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Justin B
    Following up and answering my own question in case it was unclear. Took the car up to my local dealer and chatted with the team. Confirmed that the vacuum does close the valve. I had them unhook the hose and plug the line, exhaust is always open and I think its perfect. My car's production date was February 2017.

Nick.C likes this.
  13. thomastrain

thomastrain Rookie

Oct 30, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve CI
    Hello, did you ever locate the exhaust vacuum line in the engine compartment of the California T?

14. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    No sorry.

15. Peter Chong

Peter Chong Rookie

Sep 6, 2019
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Peter Chong
    I tried this solenoid valve.
    When it is closed, it is not able to vent the vacuum downstream, hence the exhaust will remain closed.
    So it doesn't work.

16. Andrew Leather-Barrow

Oct 9, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Andrew Leather-Barrow
    ???
    It works flawlessly on my car and has done for months

cheers

17. Defmeister

Defmeister Karting

Aug 3, 2019
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Hi Andrew, Gordon here in Scotland. Happy New Year to you btw. I see in the ad you posted above, it is for a 220v receiver. I presume you ordered a 12v one? Also, did you use a switched live for your setup or tap off the battery directly? Ideally I’d like a switched live near to the vacuum hose under the bonnet, if this is what you did also, where did you connect it to?

Cheers and thanks

Def.

18. Andrew Leather-Barrow

Oct 9, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Andrew Leather-Barrow
    Hi Gordon
    The unit is indeed 12v but the seller has a drop down box to choose which type you wish to purchase, the picture is of the advertisement on eBay.
    I connected the unit direct to the battery with the inline fuse, I could not find a switched live other than for the fuel injection and I did not want to butcher or splice into the FI circuit.
    The current draw on standby is lower than the radio uses for keeping the clock and memory there is also a significantly larger current draw from the alarm key fob receiver.
    I figured that the car is never left for more than a few days without being on a tender anyway and I also worked out that the current drain is so low that it would take weeks to discharge the battery so it’s not even worth taking into consideration taking into account how I use my vehicle.

cheers
    Andrew

19. John Geiger

John Geiger Rookie

Aug 8, 2019
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    John Geiger
    Not sure why this guy was "banned" but this is exactly the kind of cheap and easy hack people love these types of forums for. This worked great for me. Now my Cali displays the right kind of "attitude" at low rpms. :cool:

20. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Has anyone figured out how to do this mod on a California T?

21. Jboz

Jboz Rookie

Oct 11, 2019
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Justin B
    Not the most exciting, but probably the "easiest" - I just took mine to my local dealer and asked them to plug the vacuum hose that hooks ups to the solenoid controlling the valve, I think it cost me like $300-400 total for labor. 100% love it and will never look back. They can always re-attach later if you necessary.

whatheheck likes this.
  22. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Got it.

Thanks for sharing.

Dan

23. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    whatheheck likes this.
  24. russellmcg

russellmcg Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    Just spinning this thread back up for a quick question. I know on the original Cali, you could just plug the hose from the hood, has anyone figured out if that is the same on the T?

I see the way to do it from the back of the car, but the front hood method was so much easier.

25. cali2012

cali2012 Karting

Apr 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    Giulio
    Andrew Awesome post! I really want to build it too!! thank you so much for the idea!