Exhaust plug | FerrariChat

Exhaust plug

Discussion in '206/246' started by kjw9028, Jul 15, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kjw9028

kjw9028 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 3, 2010
    Sylvania,Oh-Naples,F
    Full Name:
    Ken Wise
    I have a strange situation on my recently purchased 74 GTS C&F. On each bank of cylinders, where the manifold is attached to the engine, a "plug" has worked it's way loose and I have lost one. When it fell off, the engine sounded as if the exhaust had been disconnected at one cylinder, like a golf ball in a coffee can. I talked to the previous owner and this had happened to him before on the driver side, rear bank. Although that plug was there this time it was only finger tight and was an obvious replacement from the original. He was not aware over any others working loose, the other was near cylinder 3 i think. I'll include pictures of whats missing along with properly installed units. They are located on an extension from the engine that the manifold attaches to, i think. Any idea where to get replacements? The emission equipment had been removed, don't know if this is part of that? On the removed parts, i did notice a flange that seems to match the diameter of the opening, but am not sure. Any help is appreciated. I'm having trouble downloading/viewing pictures and video on my iMac, will do my best to include some asap. Thanks

2. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    They are only used to connect a CO analyser to test each bank. Not sure on the size but it should be easy to locate a bolt from any good hardware store to blank off once again, you need a locktab washer (Belleville) and copper washer to secure in place. Not part of the emissions control / blow by system.
    TonyL

3. kjw9028

kjw9028 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 3, 2010
    Sylvania,Oh-Naples,F
    Full Name:
    Ken Wise
    Thanks Tony,

These are not the tubes that I think you are referring to but are located at the base of where the manifold connects to the engine. Looks like they have an allen or some other type sunken head and screws in flush to the extension that allows manifold to connect to engine. If I could get pics up it would help, I'm still trying. Not a big Apple fan right now.

4. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Those are the exhaust air injection tube holes that most owners have blocked off. I had one come out myself years ago. You could get another metric hex plug and stake a few places around it with a center punch to keep it from backing out. Take care not to strip the threads when you install it.

5. kjw9028

kjw9028 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 3, 2010
    Sylvania,Oh-Naples,F
    Full Name:
    Ken Wise
    I have the original pieces off the injection tubes. I've gone to several places with no luck so far, any idea what the width is? They don't have to be flanged like the original, correct? Thanks

6. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
  7. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Well, that link doesn't work!

8. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Little difficult to tell from given pictures, but the plugs shown in OPs photos may not be suitable solution for the given application as they appear to have no flange/shoulder (or copper seal/washer) to tighten them against.
    The shown plugs appear to be similar to pipe plugs, which usually are designed/made with tapered thread, which, if I'm not mistaken, OEM air injectors nor their holes in the cyl. heads didn't have.
    I could be mistaken, but given photos even appear to show impressions of the copper(?) seal/washers surrounding the hole(s).

9. kjw9028

kjw9028 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 3, 2010
    Sylvania,Oh-Naples,F
    Full Name:
    Ken Wise
    One of the plugs I removed was a 3/8 in piece, flanged at each end with a cap on one end to make tightening it down easier. According to the previous owner, that had worked it's way loose a couple of times. I have found copper 3/8 counter sunk plugs at the hardware store, but the thread pattern is not the same as the original injectors but matches the plug i just described. Probably why it keeps coming out. Perfect world, we find the correct size plug and insert. It can be counter sunk or have a head, really doesn't matter as long as it forms a semipermanent seal and doesn't fall out. What have others done in the past? Any suggestions are appreciated?

10. kjw9028

kjw9028 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 3, 2010
    Sylvania,Oh-Naples,F
    Full Name:
    Ken Wise
    I tried running a search but find it's almost impossible with this new format. I emailed one of the moderators with my frustration. If you have a link, that would be great. Thanks.

11. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
  12. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Google images: "Hex plugs" give a lot of options. I will try and get the thread pitch tonight.

13. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Looks like the plug is a 14mm x 1.5 normal thread. Not a pipe thread. Google "metric hex plugs".

14. kjw9028

kjw9028 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 3, 2010
    Sylvania,Oh-Naples,F
    Full Name:
    Ken Wise
  15. kjw9028

kjw9028 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 3, 2010
    Sylvania,Oh-Naples,F
    Full Name:
    Ken Wise
    Oil drain plugs are 14mmx1.5. Bought a couple and will try that for now. Looks like whats needed are the same plugs used next to the spark plugs? Seems like there should be a resource to be able to go to to purchase.

16. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Try using "DIN Hex Plugs" for the internet search to limit the results to metric sizes.