Exhaust replacement and SLOW DOWN LIGHT | FerrariChat

Exhaust replacement and SLOW DOWN LIGHT

Discussion in '348/355' started by Mats Andersen, Aug 11, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mats Andersen

Mats Andersen Karting

Sep 28, 2017
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Mats Andersen
    Hi
    I just replaced my capristo stage 3 with the Nouvalari supersport. Incuded secondayr bypass Y pipe and sport 200 cell cats.

It sounds amazing!!! I am really pleased. Good fit also and a tad lighter than Capristo. Anyway. A new problem occured. Slow down light is coming on strongly and forced me to stop...

So the cats get very hot. Any experince here?

My solenoid for the bypass valve doesnt work so I have taken out the bypass valve butterfly.

Best
    Mats

2. Mats Andersen

Mats Andersen Karting

Sep 28, 2017
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Mats Andersen
    Oh now its flashing from the second I start the engine even when it has cooled off....

Must have triggered some dark mystery.

There is only 1 lambda before each cat. Not the one after...used to be racepipes. No problem then.

M

3. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    You have bad SDL controller. You need to do some trouble shooting. It cannot flash when the engine is cold.

4. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    You may have damaged a thermocouple when you installed the be exhaust.

But be sure you aren't overheating the cats. They will melt very quickly. The 200 cell cats will melt before the ECU shuts off fuel to the offending bank.

5. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter Karting

Jul 15, 2014
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Dayan
    Just out of curiousity, what prompted you to remove the Capristo and replace it with the Nouvalari?

6. Mats Andersen

Mats Andersen Karting

Sep 28, 2017
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Mats Andersen
    Allright.. since it anyway was not warm though the light blinking. I took it for a drive to see if the blinker moved into static red light. It did not an after 10 minutes the light went away for good and did not come back after a mixed type of test driving... I hope that the early light when cold was a aftermath from the cut off procedure earlier today. Seems re set now. I might have ruined the cats but then we are effectively back to race pipes.....

Capristo..
    I hoped it would be a alittle more quiet when cruising even with bypass open. Its not so I need to fix that leaking solenoid if I want less drone.

The nouvalari is more raspy when on power. And of throttle blip. If possible louder of full power high rpm.. air is shcredded.

7. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    You should check the cats if you have any doubts. The metal cores melt and bead up or collapses at the back blocking the flow. Don't ask me how I know.

8. Mats Andersen

Mats Andersen Karting

Sep 28, 2017
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Mats Andersen
    I will check with my inspection camera..

Mats

9. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
  10. Mats Andersen

Mats Andersen Karting

Sep 28, 2017
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Mats Andersen
    Hi

I can see that the connectors are there. Propably someone in tha past removed them for reasons unknown... Well if if throws more problem I gotta look into getting the second pair of O2 sensors...

Thanks for your input!! :) I will inspect the cats today

Mats

11. Drock28

Drock28 Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    if your cat ECU's are otherwise working properly.. it is common for the SDL to flash with different exhaust configurations..

your car is a 1998 5.2, is it a Euro spec..? euro spec cars do not require the 3rd thermo probe at the bypass.
    if your car does have it and as you've stated you've put the bypass open, that is another possibility to trigger the SDL.

lastly as you've experienced when the SDL does comes on.. it will eventually turn off on its own after continuous driving.. in your case it did. so your cat ecu's are ok.
    the reason it was flashing from cold start.. is because you turned off car while the SDL was on.. then as you stated as you got driving it turned off.

12. Drock28

Drock28 Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    by the way.. which Y-pipe did you use..?

13. Mats Andersen

Mats Andersen Karting

Sep 28, 2017
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Mats Andersen
    Hi. Thanks. It euro car. 97 actually. It does not have 3rd thermocouple.
    Inspected the cats visually and they are perfectly fine despite cut off procedure. Puh.

Nouvalari y pipe. They do maky 5.2 as well.
    Extreme droning. I expect the missing bypassvalve to be the reason. Now without secondary cats its even worse. Full throttle though is purely insane.
    Y pipe 2.5 kg lighter than std cat pipe.
    Muffler 0.8 kg lighter than capristo.

Drove more today. No more sld apart from the usual occasional blinking when slow driving...

M

14. Drock28

Drock28 Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    oh I didn't know Nouvalari offered a y-pipe.. do you have any pictures..

15. Mats Andersen

Mats Andersen Karting

Sep 28, 2017
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Mats Andersen
    If you take the std Ypipe that includes the secondary small cats and remove the cats and the heatshield. Then polish it you get pretty much the Y pipe I have.
    It looks good and is half the weight of the stock unit.

No lamps or warnings.

Now is the windshield wiper works only when it finds it suitable which is about every second time I drive the car. Checked fuse and motor. both OK.
    M

16. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
  17. Mats Andersen

Mats Andersen Karting

Sep 28, 2017
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Mats Andersen
    Wow thats nice. Thank you very much. Must be a bad connection somewhere in there.

18. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Or a bad wiper module? (Ferrari part number 153095) When it stops working, can you activate the wiper by operating the washer? This might help track down the problem (at least it will remove the motor from the equation.... er... maybe :) I see a few wires going to the motor from the module... Not sure what they all do).

19. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I just noticed a glovebox lamp in that wiring circuit.... Do 5.2 cars have gloveboxes?

20. Mats Andersen

Mats Andersen Karting

Sep 28, 2017
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Mats Andersen
  21. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    My 5.2 doesn't either. I'll remove it from the diagram... unless someone protests.

I guess it's only fitted to non-airbag cars.

22. Mats Andersen

Mats Andersen Karting

Sep 28, 2017
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Mats Andersen
    When it is not working nor can I activate through sprayer application. I get spray but no movement of wiper. Is there are relay somewhere that is past it?

M

23. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    The only relay in the circuit is footwell relay "E12" (P) (circuits activated by ignition), but this affects other things... L & R radiator fan relay power, brake lights, turn and reverse lights... and your washer wouldn't work with that relay not working. The plug at the bottom of the steering column should be ok, too (washer wiring goes through that)... unless it's loose and only some pins/sockets are touching.

If not that, I think things are pointing to your wiper (intermittent) control unit or the wiper motor. To check the plugs on the control unit, I guess you'll have to remove the luggage liner.

I assume you can't hear the wiper motor?