Exhaust Snaps | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Exhaust Snaps

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by snj5, Feb 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    #26 John Vardanian, Feb 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I don't think there is a "cost" in the way of energy spent. If there is it's in the way of added weight and the actual cost of production. The effect of the snap extractor is so simple it should be intuitive. I think the printed diagram on the box say it. The idea is as simple and elegant as the pouring spout at the end of the bartender's gin bottle.

john
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. jimmyr

jimmyr Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Jim
    The Ferrari designed ASA1000GT was a road car that had SNAPs fitted as OEM. I do not think they helped increase the performance, but it look nice.

3. Mccaffreyj1

Mccaffreyj1 Rookie

Mar 23, 2014
    #28 Mccaffreyj1, Mar 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I know that this is an extremely old thread, but I just picked up some mufflers at an estate sale that have these exhaust snaps built in to them. Just curious if anyone knows what they are off of, and if anyone would be interested in them.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    #29 ArtS, Mar 23, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
    Those look different than the ones I've seen. I'm curious what they are designed for. Assuming you want top dollar for them, I'm not interested; but if you got them cheap and are willing to sell them cheap, I'll try to make them fit my 330.

Regards,

Art S.

PS. If they are usable on Ferraris you should have had several offers by now via PM :D ;)

PPS. Here is a Chinetti ad for them: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIGINAL-1960s-Brochure-for-SNAP-SNAPS-Exhaust-Systems-Ferrari-Luigi-Chinetti-/121302864822?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c3e36d3b6

5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    "Champion of the World 1960-1961" would indeed indicate a Ferrari affiliation of the manufacturer, if not the actual original fitment.

Cool!

Welcome!

6. Mccaffreyj1

Mccaffreyj1 Rookie

Mar 23, 2014
    Thanks for all the info! I'm open to offers on them, but i'm not going to give them away. I'm perfectly happy with them hanging on my wall until the day I can buy the car to match them.

7. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    Russ,

These are essentially an "ejector" that mixes some outside air into the core of the exhaust flow. By increasing the velocity near the exit and then mixing in some cooler air the total exhaust mass flow is increased and the temperature goes down.

As with any ejector there are pumping losses and there is a back pressure increase, but at the same time it might decrease the noise since the higher velocity would decrease the effect of pressure pulses and that might reduce the noise. As far as a performance increase, there isn't going to be one, car velocity or no car velocity.

They most likely stopped using them because there wasn't a performance increase and the pumping cost horsepower, but if you had to meet a decibel limit they might help in that regard.

8. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    The modern day equivalent to these exhaust snaps would be the "fart can" installed mostly on import 4 bangers.

9. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Yes, but they're cooler.

10. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    It's good the thread was resurrected, or l will have missed it. l always wondered. Solofast's explanation makes sense to me.

If there really were a performance increase, Snaps would have been more widespread. Or so my simple mind tells me. But they look really good, and l wish I had the car to fit them to.

Thanks to all.

Andy