Exhaust Suggestions? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Exhaust Suggestions?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Erol, Jul 20, 2021.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    To buy or a video?

If you're serious about treating yourself, reach out to Nick as he handles all the sales etc...

2. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
  3. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Ok, so yeah for the qv and 328 capristo only makes it for the Euro version. We've been doing custom systems so that slipped my mind.

Talked to Nick, he could do a run of custom i.e. USA spec with capristo, but it would have to be run of probably a dozen and would not be labeled as capristo but NFF. That seems unlikely given cost and qty required.

To fit the euro would require changing the headers as well. The single inlet goes away as does the horrid idle drone due to it. And I believe the exhaust mounts are slightly different as well. So unfortunately it's not a direct drop in, shame given that it truly sounds incredible. The USA market was just never there so Antonio didn't make it, that and it would require him having a usa spec ferrari on hand to test and Dyno run with.

miketuason likes this.
  4. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Do yourself a favor , buy a Tubi , they are half as much and twice as good, Capristo is not the right unit for a stock 3x8 .

Thank you

George Vosburgh likes this.
  5. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Tubi is ok, It is very loud though. Very close to straight pipes...

It's all personal preference. Factory exhaust is fine, but unfortunately made with crap metal.

Hands down the loudest exhaust at idle I've ever heard came out of a borla muffler.

Nouvalari makes a very nice full system, headers to muffler.

dinogt4guy and Thomas Magnum like this.
  6. stoked_7

stoked_7 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2020
    USA
    It would be great to have videos of each exhaust to compare. That way we can all make an informed decision. I don't find many quality videos with the various exhausts mentioned hear searching the web.

mwr4440 likes this.
  7. Vinsanity

Vinsanity Karting

Sep 9, 2013
    Washington, DC.
    Full Name:
    "VD"
    I'd like to point out that an aftermarket exhaust can increase a car's performance (holistically) simply by subtracting a substantial amount weight. That's as good as adding horsepower (as most such systems claim to do, but don't actually). Better in fact, because it also aids handling. That is especially true to for a car like the 308, where the heaviest part of the exhaust (muffler and cat) lie outside the wheelbase. There is nothing deficient with the stock mufflers on most 308s, except that they weigh so much. They do last though...

8. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    here’s a video of my QV I made with my ANSA exhaust before I switched to Larini which sounds a lot louder at WOT, louder and way lighter. I don’t have video with my Larini yet but will make one someday. Turn up the volume enjoy.

9. stoked_7

stoked_7 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2020
    USA
    Fantastic video and sound. That Larini video can't arrive soon enough. We need more of these videos!

miketuason likes this.
  10. craiggo

craiggo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2012
    Redwood City
    Full Name:
    Craig
    I have Tubi on my '87 US spec 328 and I absolutely hate it. It drones! Maybe I'm supposed to feel it in my teeth but I can't stand it.

11. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Yup, I have the same experience with Tubi. I've only found the capristo to be the quietest at cruise, as in actually hold a conversation with the top off! Unfortunately it's not a direct swap, and it's pricey.

In my view the drone is due to the merged into one collector.

12. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    #37 mike996, Jul 25, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
    You really need to listen to these exhausts from INSIDE the car. Videos should include both because how they sound on the outside is unimportant as far as driving the car. It's easy to hear a car with a loud exhaust go by and think, "that really sounds great," but it's gone in a few seconds. Living with the noise while driving is a totally different thing. Also, individual preference and hearing affects that as well. What one person thinks is too loud in the car, another person might like. For me it's almost always the opposite.

I'd like to point out that an aftermarket exhaust can increase a car's performance (holistically) simply by subtracting a substantial amount weight.

True, of course but it's not ALL that heavy - I seem to recall a post that a stock USA 328 muffler was around 35 lbs. Even if an aftermarket is half that, we're only talking about 17-18 lbs. The car weight changes more than that with 4 gallons more or less of fuel. Which is why, in my street racing days, I never had more than 1/4 tank of fuel in my various muscle cars. ;) No, I don't do that anymore!

13. Irishman

Irishman F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2005
    Raleigh
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Agree! Inside or outside I like the ANSA. Where can I get it?

14. dinoart

dinoart Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2004
    Westminster CA
    Full Name:
    David
    I have the Tubi with straight pipe set up on 85 US QV for over a year now and like it very much. No drone sound experience here. I agree the Tubi is lighter than the stock. My other 85 QV has stock exhaust with a high end sport catalytic converter and it also sounds very good with a deeper tone. I think I posted this Tubi video clip somewhere on here but here it is again.

https://gopro.com/v/zPWPOGB86Qa88

15. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    That's the best sound I've heard yet from a 308. Where was the microphone located for that video? By "straight pipe setup", do you mean you have a cat bypass or test pipe, or is it a full setup including headers?

16. dinoart

dinoart Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2004
    Westminster CA
    Full Name:
    David
    Dave
    Due to the annoying wind noise I placed the external mic of the Gopro9 on the deck lid near the Ferrari script. First I tried the Tubi with a gutted out original cat and it sounds so so. Then I tried a resonate test pipe (pic below) that I found on Ebay and it's the set up I have now. No new header just rest pipe and Tubi. I really like the Tubi at idle 1000 it's bubbling like a motorcycle. It screams even better at 7k. On the video I was shifting around 6k. I m going to try to record my other QV with a stock exhaust for comparison.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. dinoart

dinoart Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2004
    Westminster CA
    Full Name:
    David
    Here's the same set up Gopro9 with external mic on my 2 liters 1967 Fiat Dino Spider. Again on the Dino I was shifting around 6k. I like to record it around 7500 at the next try.

18. dinogt4guy

dinogt4guy F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2004
    Hewitt, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Kurtis Fordice
    miketuason likes this.
  19. dinoart

dinoart Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2004
    Westminster CA
    Full Name:
    David
    I think my 85 QV Tubi set up has a little resemblance like the F40 exhaust note from this video clip. Not even close but but I think there is some in there.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=M08bAY9ZbYM

20. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    ANSA has a website and is distributed in the USA out of Atlanta GA

21. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    They rust, they blow out the packing and get louder....they are OEM, ANSA, for the 308 Series.

I split one wide open like a pipe bomb with some ignition problems on a carbed car.
    I think Dr, Barry burned one too, but that was maybe the OEM muffler...

22. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I also have an ANSA. The only time that I can hear it though is at idle. The carbs are significantly louder than the exhaust.

23. 48969

48969 Karting

Jun 27, 2020
    Chicago, Illinois
    Full Name:
    J. Michael Collins
  24. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Looks nice! Very neatly done; I'm impressed!! I assume the plumbing was all custom bent at a muff shop?

As I have said numerous times, I am not a fan of louder exhaust systems for a car I use for regular driving but I must admit that if I was looking for a new muffler system and a bit more sound for my 328, I'd just duplicate what you did!:)

48969 likes this.
  25. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike