Exhaust Tip Adjustment? (Vibrating against body) | FerrariChat

Exhaust Tip Adjustment? (Vibrating against body)

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by F355Berlinetta, May 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. The tips on the tubi exhaust on my 355 are a little off center. The left side is a little higher than the right and sometimes vibrates against the body. How does one go about adjusting the exhaust tips?

Thank you,
    Dan.

2. f355b

f355b Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    Little Silver,NJ
    i had the same problem, iam not 100% sure how they fixed this but one of the things they talked about was to heat the pipe and bend it over as it was touching the body work, anyway it worked and looks fine.
    if you need more info iam happy to give you the name and number of the place where i ahd it fitted and maybe they can help you more.

3. That's what I expected. Looking around the exhaust, there seems to be no way to adjust anything. Thanks for the reply.

4. RF128706

RF128706 Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    The inlets to the lower catalysts are flex joints, (you can see the springs on the bolts). The bypass valve is also a flex joint. The outlets to the catalysts are flanges with V clamps which means all the joints have 360 degree adjustment. Although it is not immediately obvious, there is a fair amount of 'adjustability' in the exhaust system.

Assuming the pipes themselves are not bent eg. reversing over a kerb or similar, then it sounds like the muffler box was badly fitted.

take a look at the left side pipes and see it they're bent. If they look OK then you will need to 'rotate' the muffler box to get everything aligned.

The best method for doing this is to loosen the clamps for the catalyst outlets and the bypass valve. Then, supporting the muffler with a jack, loosen the mounting bolts for the muffler itself (these have large slot holes to allow adjustment).

Realign the tips how you want them, then re-tighten the bolts/clamps in reverse order.

It is imperative that when you retighten all the fasteners, the weight of the muffler is fully supported by the mounts & not inducing stresses into the headers.

I hope this does the trick.

Rob.