News

Exhaust Valve Bypass Controller

Discussion in 'Ferrari Parts & Collectibles' started by bisel, Mar 29, 2014.

1. bisel

bisel Formula 3

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    Sorry. No promotions at this time.

Steve

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    California
    Ordered - Pista isn't coming for some time, but as some of us tend to do once we know a car is coming, we can't help but think of how to make it our own. Thanks @Shadowfax for being the guinea pig and doing the testing, and @bisel for developing these kits. I had the Forza kit in my Speciale, and it was easily one of the most important improvements that makes the audible experience live up to what every kid that dreams of driving a Ferrari imagines it sounds like.

@bisel I'd love to see if you have new remotes being worked on. I have to say the Alibaba-esque remote on the key chain is the one eyesore in the whole set up. Unfortunately, it's the thing you see more everyday than the beautiful Forza Componenti controller box that's hidden away in the engine compartment.

4. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

In the always open mode does it have to
    Je activated at every startup or ford the car memorize that setting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. bisel

bisel Formula 3

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    Hello @SECRET ... thank you for your business.

I have been working on getting better looking remotes. The remotes that I have are provided along with the electrical printed circuit boards. My supplier has several style remotes and the one I use is the better looking of many they offer. There are better looking remotes available. Some customers have purchased remotes from various sources as they prefer the style to the ones I provide. Although I cannot guarantee compatibility, most any remote that has multiple buttons and is 433 MHz will likely work fine. For example, this fob is a "cloning" fob that clones the remote that comes with the Forza controller.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

As long as it is 433 MHz, it should work fine. The above fob is available from several sources ... and, of course there are other fob styles available.

I continue to work with my suppliers and am trying to find a better looking style for future use.

Regards,

Steve

6. bisel

bisel Formula 3

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    Hello @Natkingcolebasket69 . The controller has the provision to allow you to configure the start up mode to either the Normal setting (i.e., closed) or Open. It is your choice.

Regards,

Steve

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Understood. So if I shut off the car in open mode will it start again as such or would I have to press the button again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    Curious.... if there may be an issue with TPMS sensors. They run at 433 mhz also. Any issues?

10. bisel

bisel Formula 3

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    I have not heard of any issues. The frequency should not be a problem as typical devices using this frequency only do so for a very short duration.

The 433 MHz is the frequency that many devices use such as garage door openers, headphone, light dimmers, etc.

In the US, common frequencies include 315MHz and 433MHz. In Europe, 315MHz is not allowed so choosing 433MHz is the logical choice for unlicensed devices.

Steve

11. bisel

bisel Formula 3

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    If you configure the controller module to start in OPEN mode, then every time you start the car it will start in open, regardless of the mode it was in when you shut off the car. Conversely, if your configure the controller to start in NORMAL mode, then every time you start the car it will start in normal mode, regardless of the mode it was in when you shut off the car.

In either case, pressing the button toggles between normal and open.

Steve

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    California
    Steve, do you need direct access to the controller to program the start mode? Or is this something that can be set by the remote?

14. bisel

bisel Formula 3

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    you need direct access. I opted for simplicity for this.

You remove the lid to the controller and position a jumper pin on the circuit board. Doing it in this fashion is simple, foolproof, and did not cost anything when time came to order a batch of new components. It takes less than five minutes to set.

To do it with the remote would have cost more money and would not be as reliable.

steve

15. Purch23

Purch23 Karting

Jul 2, 2019
    CT
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Like Steve said, I took the lid off controller box, move one of the pins, done, install kit. Now my f430 starts in open mode every time. Everything is in the instructions. The remote? It’s sits in my ashtray with the cover up. I’ve only used it once to close the valve when a cop was behind me. The 430 is not obnoxiously loud open all the time. It’s perfect!

Ps- I was going to mount the remote on the backside of the steering wheel as others have but no need for me. I run open 99.9% of the time.

Attached Files:

16. Rosino81

Rosino81 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    London, UK
    I would be looking for a unit to be installed in a 2015 F12. Stock exhaust. Interested in the remote control only, is this a complex install that requires bumper removal ? Anybody who's completed one that can help out ?

17. bisel

bisel Formula 3

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    Installing an exhaust controller on the F12 more than likely requires rear bumper removal. Here is a good video of installing one on an F12 ...

Steve

18. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Recently had the controller installed in my 458. Works great and worth the investment. I have no problems with the remote, and it also worked great in my 599. Thanks Steve!

19. Walt Gamble

Walt Gamble Formula Junior

May 22, 2014
    I Velcro'd the remote to the underside of the lid that covers the hood and gas tank switches... Perfect fit out of sight and handy.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Purch23 likes this.
  20. chenglo1

chenglo1 Karting

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Cheng
    My F430 has Steves system. I believe im one of his first customers??? Still workin like a charm buddy (Knock on wood!.

21. mc15blade

mc15blade Rookie

Mar 8, 2015
    I just had the Forza controller installed in my 2015 F12. Shop charged me 3 hours labor. System works perfectly and car sounds great. I’m not sure if this has been mentioned, but the controller works once the key is turned on. Soooo....I can choose which way the valves are set before I hit the engine start button. Closed for (relatively) quiet startup. Open for cacaphony. Thanks Steve...

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

22. bisel

bisel Formula 3

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    I have recently become aware that some Capristo resellers are claiming that the Forza Exhaust Controller could potentially damage the Ferrari engine.

The claims made Capristo or their resellers are false and misleading. They may be well intentioned, but, if so, then the person making the claim is not well informed. I expect these false claims are a means to promote the Capristo line of exhaust controllers and disparage the Forza controllers whilst seeding doubt in the minds of potential customers.

The Forza Controllers are 3-Way Controllers offering three operational modes:
    1. Normal Mode: The car’s ECU manages the exhaust bypass valves.
    2. Always Open: The Forza Controller forces the valves to the open position.
    3. Always Closed: The Forza Controller forces the valves to the closed position.​

Capristo (or their resellers) have been claiming that the Forza Controller closes down the exhaust bypass valves when the engine is shut off. This is completely false. When the engine is shut down, power is severed to the vacuum control solenoid valves, the valves then revert to their default position which vents the bypass valves to atmosphere and they open. The Forza controller cannot close down the bypass valves when power is not available.

Another false claim by Capristo (or their resellers) is that closing the exhaust bypass valves using the Forza Controller will cause excess back-pressure in the exhaust system and can damage the engine. This is false as well. This conception is based on the relationship that exhaust back-pressure has on the formation of pressure waves within the first few inches of the engine’s exhaust system. Properly applied, the influence of these pressure waves improves the scavenging of exhaust gases from the engine. Understanding the influence that pressure waves have on exhaust flow is the heart of the design of efficient exhaust headers. Ideally, lower back-pressure within the exhaust system is a desirable trait. But all systems have some back-pressure and understanding how to take advantage of the back-pressure to develop a negative pressure wave immediately downstream of the engine’s exhaust valves is a means to enhance the evacuation of exhaust gas from the engine.

Back-pressure is induced in the exhaust system by several different elements such as:
    • Exhaust manifolds
    • Exhaust headers
    • Diameter and length of exhaust pipes
    • Changes in the diameter of the exhaust pipes / headers
    • Construction of the catalytic converters
    • The exhaust silencers
    Each component in the exhaust system will tend to increase the static back-pressure in the system. But the effect that the component may have on the internal pressure wave (negative or positive) diminishes with the distance the component is from the engine. In effect, the silencer has a small effect on the internal pressure wave whereas the header system can have a major effect. Likewise, the silencer has far less impact on engine performance than do the headers. The car’s exhaust bypass valves are located as part of the car’s silencer or part of the exhaust tips. Opening or closing the flapper valve merely alters the exhaust gas flow with respect to the car’s silencer and has little or no effect on back-pressure, the internal pressure wave or on engine performance. Certainly, less effect than the silencer itself.

A recent study conducted by Tenneco, the manufacturer of the exhaust system for the 2020 Corvette C8, concluded that the power transmission loss shows no significant effect whether the bypass valves were open or closed. The only difference is the sound level.

To summarize:
    • Capristo’s (or their reseller’s) claim that the closure of the exhaust bypass valves can cause engine damage is false.
    • Capristo’s (or their reseller’s) claim that the Forza controller can close the car’s exhaust bypass valve when the engine is shut off is false.
    • Within the exhaust system, the closer a component is to the engine, the greater potential effect it can have on the internal exhaust system pressure wave (and engine performance). Headers will have a greater impact than catalytic converters which have a greater impact than silencers.
    • Opening or closing the exhaust bypass valves has a nonexistent or negligible impact on overall performance.
    As a point of comparison, it worth noting some differences between the Forza and Capristo exhaust controllers:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

mc15blade, Bmill, Bamsefar and 4 others like this.
  23. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    I’ve been a customer of Forza for years, it’s the first thing I order when I get a new car, never had a single issue with them. Love having the ability to control the sound at the touch of a button. Has enhanced my ownership of these amazing cars. Steve has always been incredibly responsive to any of my needs and questions. Can’t speak to the Capristo product, went with Forza back in the day and never looked back. Very happy customer.

Mimmo Blue likes this.