Exhaust valve controller really worth it | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Exhaust valve controller really worth it

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Randyslovis, Jan 21, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. unotaz

unotaz Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I just ordered mine last night. Can't wait to install them on my Speciale!

2. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Exactly.

3. Barry P.

Barry P. Karting

Nov 22, 2016
    Milton Keynes
    Full Name:
    Barry
    No, I bought it direct from Steve who shipped it from the States to me. It worked out slightly cheaper than buying it in the UK and only took a few days to arrive.

4. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Capristo with remote on my 458. It's a joy to ride with valves always open. It's a must on the 458.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

5. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Just installed the Forza Componenti unit on my 458. Not that difficult at all. Air box cover must come off. Then if you have thinner hands (like me) you can gain access to the solenoids. The clips on the electrical plugs must be pulled out. I did this with a pair of needle nose pliers. You just have to grab on side of the metal clips and they pull right off. Be careful not to drop them because you need them again to secure the supplied plug sets to the control unit. This is the hardest part of the install. Pic below are the solenoid valves with the two plugs that must be disconnected.

[​IMG]

Remove the left side engine bay cover and route the wires to a spot under the air intake duct. There is a bolt there holding on the heat shield that you can use to install the green wire coming off the control unit (ground wire I believe). You can see the bolt I used directly below the control unit. See pic of where I located the control unit. Reinstall the engine bay panel, the air box cover, then your all set.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. pkhot915

pkhot915 Karting

Jan 21, 2012
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Full Name:
    PK
    Just got the Forza unit as well here in Bangkok. Problem is I cant find anyone whos willing to install it. Labman, i do envy you greatly. If any one in the area (Thailand, Singapore, Hongkong) whos capable of installing this unit, please let me know.

7. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    Fly Labman out to Bangkok and I'm sure he will do it for you.

8. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve

Lol! I heard it is beautiful.

9. daflk

daflk Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2013
    Hong Kong
    Just installed. Sports mode exhaust open you hear a hint of exhaust crackle. Like the fact that you don't have to keep accelerating even in race mode in order to force the exhaust open

Sent from my SM-G9350 using Tapatalk

10. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Here is a quick vid of the sound with valves closed and open a few times right after install.
    I think it's worth it :)

https://youtu.be/AaTGGkPLyoQ

11. Nel1

Nel1 Karting

Jul 11, 2012

I heard differently from my local dealer. They will not install the controller for me and told me that if do they will void the extended Ferrari warranty that I purchased. Very disappointing as I called a different dealer far away and they would install it no problem. It seems that different dealers have different interpretations. I would think that dealers are consistent based on guidelines from FNA but that does not seem to be the case.

12. Snewton94024

Snewton94024 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2015
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Steve Newton
    My dealer also refuses to install it saying it is not a Ferrari authorized part.
    The dealer also said it could affect the warranty should any problem arise due to the install.
    Very disappointing.

13. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #38 Labman, Mar 23, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    I can understand Ferrari dealers telling you that it will void warranty. It's an non-OEM part being installed on a car still under factory warranty. But I can't understand how this controller can cause any issues. It's isolated to just the valve controllers.
    I would urge anyone considering one of these to try and install yourself if you are somewhat handy. It's really not hard at all. This is for the 458 though. I don't know what's involved installing on a 488.
    If you do order for a 458, I would email Steve Bisel (Forza Componenti) and ask him for two of the longer cables. Currently when it's sent out, it includes one long and one short cable. This is good for the 430 but not ideal for the 458 as it's best to mount the controller further up towards the front of the car and away from any hot exhaust components. I told Steve about this and he immediately sent me the longer cable. His follow up is impeccable.

14. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Is it not exactly the same Steve ?

Would be handsome if anyone here writes a simple guide with good photo's every step.

F.i. it is not clear to me how the two oem connectors are removed and how the new ones fit on .... which ?

Thanx in advance

15. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Some dealers, and perhaps the company itself, suffer a bit from their version of the golden rule - that is, the guy with the gold, rules. If a problem develops with your car and it's otherwise covered under warranty, it's supposed to be the case that the manufacturer must prove that the aftermarket part caused the problem in order to deny the warranty coverage. The Specialty Equipment Manufacturers Association fought long and hard for such laws.

The problem is, some dealers or manufacturers don't follow that, and instead will take advantage of their superior resources and the fact that you are dependent on them to rule in your favor to provide the warranty coverage. They will point to the aftermarket part and claim it caused the problem even if if did not, or only plausibly might have some connection to the problem. Then the burden is on you to get them to cover it.

Many dealers have the opposite attitude because they want to do the right thing and/or have the longer term view that they are better off siding with their clienti, since ultimately it's they who decide their profitability.

Installing any aftermarket part is thus somewhat of a gamble. If something goes wrong with your car, will your dealer be of type one or type two? The fact that your dealer is already telling you they won't install the aftermarket part tells you something. For such people, I have no qualms about removing the part before taking the car in for a problem that I think they could point to. A hassle and expense, of course. It's not fair, and ultimately up to you whether to have the part installed by an independent (or yourself) and possibly have to deal with the type one dealer by fighting or taking preemptive measures and removing the part before submitting the car for diagnosis.

Personally, I chose to add the controller, because I have a type two dealer and feel confident that I would come out ok. I should also point out that my car is now beyond the factory warranty period though there is still coverage for emissions-related items. I did add the controller during the (extended) factory warranty period, though.

16. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I did on post #30. There really isn't much to it. Just removing the air box to gain access to the solenoid cables then removing the left side engine panel (I guess can be done on the right too but I chose the left) then securing the controller to an area behind the panel that is away from any exhaust components. The area just behind the driver seat (left hand drive) is ideal. Their is a pretty large void in that area to secure the controller with zip ties.

17. bgmix

bgmix Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 1, 2009
    AZ|NYC|FL
    Full Name:
    Bob Giammarco
    Time to go to a different dealer. That's bulls*it. My dealer has installed valve controllers on every Ferrari I've owned without question and regardless of warranty status.

18. Nel1

Nel1 Karting

Jul 11, 2012

Yep, I think you are right. The point is to enjoy the car to the fullest rather than to restrict the experience. Is kind of crazy though to have to send the car several hundred of miles away when the local dealer is 7 miles from my house in order to achieve that.

19. Snewton94024

Snewton94024 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2015
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Steve Newton
    Can you tell us which dealer has done this install for you?

20. Expat458

Expat458 Karting

Feb 27, 2017
    The Sand Pit
    Full Name:
    Paul Healey
    I have just ordered a Forza and will be installing it myself.

21. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    I would not mind having the Forza on my 458.

22. 2Veloce

2Veloce Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2014
    annapolis, maryland
    Full Name:
    Al
    My dealer has installed hundreds of capristo's and only one Forza unit. He said he would install either ( my car is still under warranty). Which unit regardless of cost would you consider better for a 15 458?..thanks.

23. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    From experience I can say the Forza unit. I installed one in my 430 Spider which worked flawlessly for the three years I had it. Now I'm enjoying the one I just installed in my 458 Italia. The good thing about this unit is the support you get from Steve. If there are any questions or updates, his support is top notch. He really stands behind his product. I can't speak for the Cappy unit as I don't have any experience with it.

LMH likes this.
  24. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #49 Melvok, Mar 28, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thanks Steve ... I like doing things myself for sure ... F.I. taking off CF side panels is no job.

But taking off the complete airbox ... mhhh ... it's not so simple ... and nobody did write a note about that.

Then you may find the connectors ... the pix could have been a bit more explanatory imo ...

Thats what I meant ... many readers here have never held a scrwedriver in thier hands their whole life :D

Thanx in advance ...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve

Mel no need to remove the entire air box. I actually think that is near impossible without removing the rear bumper. All you need to do is remove the air box cover. There are two acorn nuts where air box connects on each MAF going into the plenum that have to be removed. Lower ones are not easy access and they can be dropped into the abyss so be careful with them. All of the other fasteners around air box are easy to remove with a star bit. Once you remove the air box cover you can slip your hands below to the two solenoid plugs and remove them. I had the pull off style clip that you need a small needle-nose player to pull straight back but again be careful not to drop them down below. You will need them to secure the new plug. On some cars there is the push-in clip which are very easy to remove. Just push in and remove. A bright light will be your friend here as it's pretty dark in that area. That pic is where I originally mounted my controller but have since moved it further up towards the driver in an area I felt more comfortable with and away from any hot exhaust components.
    Hope this helps.