Exhaust valve controller really worth it | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Exhaust valve controller really worth it

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Randyslovis, Jan 21, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Randyslovis

Randyslovis Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    As I originally posted, I opted for the Forza unit based on feedback (excellent) and less cost. My dealer/tech who installed it said the ONLY advantage to the Capristo unit is its smaller size making it a little easier to place. On my spider to keep Forza away from exhaust heat and water, he had to remove the airbox and put controller agaisnst the back wall. He said he can do less removing of things with the Capristo unit.
    That being said, why spend $$ you don't have to on a unit which I am told/read about from people with both, is not mechanically better?
    Regardless of which one you choose, I cannot tell you how much this controller changes the character of the car.
    Best

LMH likes this.
  2. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Thanx Steve, it does!

Q to all others that will install the unit: please write the steps down and make lots of photo's!

It may help to encourage members to install the DIY job :D

3. Bowtye8

Bowtye8 Karting

Dec 28, 2013
    I will be getting one of these in the next couple of weeks. Researching which one and best deal ;)
    I will snap photos and document.
    It will be 2 or 3 weeks though.
    Thanks

4. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    I thought it might be helpful for those of you thinking about installing the controller yourself to give you a tip about the electrical connectors on the vacuum solenoid valves. The connectors are designed by TE Connectivity and are called JPT connectors. Junior Power Timer. The female connectors have a clip on them which has been previously described. In some cases the clip allows you to release the connector by pushing on the wire bail In other cases this quick release feature is not available If you have one of the latter you will have to remove the wire clip with a needle nose plier being careful not to drop it. Now here is the tip ... once you remove the clip and have disconnected the connector immediately replace the clip back on the female connector. This will ensure that you don't lose the clip and it makes it easier to connect to the controller's wiring harness because all you need to do to connect the male to the female connector is to push them together if you have the clip already installed. When making the connection the wire bail on the female connector will spread to allow the insertion of the male connector and you'll be rewarded with a resounding click once the connection is achieved.

Steve

5. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Didn't know about the tip Steve! I installed that clip back on after I connected the plug. That would have made the install go a bit more smoothly if I know I could do that. Well if I help out one of my friends install one, now I know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Ngcanada

Ngcanada Formula Junior

May 16, 2016
    Ottawa Canada
    I had my dealer install the capristo on my 15 458, what a big difference in sound with valves open, my goodness this car is loud. .....love it!

LMH likes this.
  7. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    +458.

My capristo with valves open really, I mean really, amplifies pops and burbles which, btw, are my favorite thing about a 458.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

LMH likes this.
  8. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Is it possible for the dealer to program the valves to be open all the time on the 458-488?

9. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    If you want the bypass valves open all the time, then installing a controller is overkill. You could merely disconnect the vacuum lines and plug the ends with a suitable object.

There is is no "programming" per se on the car.

Steve

10. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I had a Forza on my FF which was great.

However I believe that the Capristo remembers the setting you last used even when the ignition is switched off whereas the Forza always switches back to valves closed.

Perhaps someone could confirm?

11. bgmix

bgmix Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 1, 2009
    AZ|NYC|FL
    Full Name:
    Bob Giammarco
    The Capristo unit in my 430 did not.

12. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    I used wooden golf tees on my 430. It's been over three years since I owned my 458 but might have done the same. Are the vacuum lines still easy to get to?

13. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    I believe many 458 owners have used golf tees. If not easily accessible, removing the air diffuser is easy enough to do.

Steve

14. Capristo Exhaust USA

Capristo Exhaust USA Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jul 29, 2009
    Riviera Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Capristo Exhaust
    Hello,

For Ferrari's you need to set the standard mode you want the car to be in on start up.

- pressing button 3 + 4 at once, saves the current valve
    position as standard (for example: engine starts with open
    valves)

step by step
    turn car on, put the valves in the mode of your choice (open or closed) then press and hold buttons 3 & 4 at once. Now when you turn off an restart your car it should be in this selected mode no matter what mode the valves were in when you shut off the car.

Please contact me if you have any questions.

Thank you,

Erik Krammer

LMH likes this.
  15. bgmix

bgmix Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 1, 2009
    AZ|NYC|FL
    Full Name:
    Bob Giammarco
    Erik, thank you so much for that! I no longer own that car however I'll forward that info along to the person that bought it from me.

16. Capristo Exhaust USA

Capristo Exhaust USA Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jul 29, 2009
    Riviera Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Capristo Exhaust
  17. Ngcanada

Ngcanada Formula Junior

May 16, 2016
    Ottawa Canada
    Thanks for the info Erik, I just had my dealer install it on my car before delivery and they didn't give me any info or instruction booklet, so this is something I didn't realize you could do! Thanks, and in the event I lose or break the remote control, could I purchase another one? Is there somewhere I can download the owners manual? Thanks Erik!

18. chris5150

chris5150 Formula Junior

Apr 16, 2009
    I have a 2015 speciale , and the to me it sounds fine as it is , except for one thing , missing the throttle lift off pops and farts ... I had a 2010 Italian while back and that sounded great when lifting off , really crackled
    Question is if I went for one of these forza boxes does it get the lift off crackle and pop back ??... that is the thing I miss most ... and from reading this thread I am led to believe it does bring back the lift off pop ... please confirm as will order one tomorrow if this is the case!!
    Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

19. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Hi Chris, ... do read this thread !

20. chris5150

chris5150 Formula Junior

Apr 16, 2009
    Jeez read that thread and it seems no easy answers , some have the pops and crackles, some don't , mine is due a service in may so might see what happens following that ... would be perfect to get the burbles and pops back but won't hold my breath !!
    Don't really want to go down aftermarket exhaust or Ecu reprogramme etc , was rather hoping the valve controller would bring it back cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

21. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve

I don't think they will come back unless re-flashed by that company in that thread. Speciale is a later 458 when they already changed the engine mapping so it never had the pops, crackles and burbles your 2010 had. Mine is a 2011 and fortunately was never flashed so I have these sounds still. When I added the valve controller it really let the sound come alive too. Who knows, maybe my unflashed 2011 will be worth what your Speciale is worth one day :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. Ngcanada

Ngcanada Formula Junior

May 16, 2016
    Ottawa Canada
    #72 Ngcanada, Apr 2, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
    I just came back from my first drive in my 2015 458 Italia, it was a good 30km loop. I can tell you that with the Capristo controller, the valves in the open position is incredible. I tried with the factory setting and it was quiet, great for the highway stint, but in the city and traffic, those valves open is the way this car should sound. I never had the car in the stock form as I just bought this, and had the dealer install the Capristo valve controller, but I would be dissappointed without this valve controller from Capristo, I am so so happy to say that the pops and crackles on throttle lift off are also present! This car with the valves open and stock OEM exhaust is really loud, I am certain that this small mod for me is the just of the exhaust setup, I cannot imagine this car with the aftermarket exhausts or headers, it would be a little much for me....for now :)

23. Randyslovis

Randyslovis Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    I have a 2013 spider (as previously stated) and HAD a 2010 Italia. The factory pops, etc are well documented to have been best in this first year car. As you yourself observed. Before any ECU factory mandated remapping being a given.
    In regards to Speciale, my buddy had a 2012 Italia and pinned his exhaust open. Changed his opinion of the car significantly.
    He was advised on his Speciale to leave exhaust alone.
    Unfortunately, he drove my spider post Forza unit and fell in love all over again with the pops, farts, etc. So, when his Speciale went in for service 2 weeks ago he pinned his exhaust open.
    Where the regular 458 is improved immensely, he says NO pops/farts, etc. gained in his Speciale. He says exhaust a little more linear/louder but only a "10%" difference vs a "100%" difference when done to a regular 458.
    I am not telling you to avoid the controller. Rather, that the Speciale motor/ECU/exhaust is set up in such a way that the open position just doesn't add as much to the soundtrack.
    Best

24. chris5150

chris5150 Formula Junior

Apr 16, 2009
    Thanks Guys, interesting then the only way it seems to get the pops & Crackles back is an ECU Flash, not something I would do really...guess even changing to say a Novitec or capristo exhaust would still not bring them back, like I say I am happy with the overall sound, so cannot think about changing exhausts unless It defo brought back the lift off burbles & pops...it is a shame, just come out of an R8 V10 plus, lovely lift of crackles on that car, and even my daily, an RS6 , has that pop & crackle on lift off, its odd that the 'raciest' car in my fleet is the only one without it!!

25. Bowtye8

Bowtye8 Karting

Dec 28, 2013
    #75 Bowtye8, Apr 3, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
    I ordered the Forza controller. Should be here this week.
    Here is a gopro(bumper) vid of my 12. Had it on race setting...
    Really I assume no difference when I get the forza cause I was getting on it....Maybe just the first take off it will be louder since the valves will always be open.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdEl3_6SyC4