Exotic rentals, an incomplete history | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Exotic rentals, an incomplete history

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by sowest, Mar 14, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mauispence

mauispence Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    Lahaina, Maui, Hawai
    Full Name:
    Jim Spence
    #26 mauispence, May 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Fastviper

Fastviper F1 Rookie

Nov 20, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Dash
    I meant with a Ferrari rental!

Do you know of a good website to rent a beach house for 2 weeks? I am not looking for grandness, just a shack on the beach...

3. Lanikai

Lanikai Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Will Campbell
    I was the island manager for Alamo on O'ahu in the late eighties and then on Maui through the 90's. I like your Lahaina Harbor picture. I use to crew for Steve Yamasaki on the Taipan as a holo holo thing. We did a slew of Let's Go Fishing shows together, back in the day. Miss Maui, sorry I ever had to leave.

4. mauispence

Aug 2, 2005
    Lahaina, Maui, Hawai
    Full Name:
    Jim Spence
    #29 mauispence, May 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Aloha John & Will
    I was born in Ft. Worth and lived in NW Texas till I was 14 and my family moved to E. Atlanta (Clarkston). I have two grown sons who live North of Atlanta in the Alpharetta area.FoA country.
    John, oceanfront homes sell for $8M and UP. They rent for $4,000. a night and $15,000 a week and UP. Condo's are much less and Lokelani and Mahina Surf are my two favorites on West Maui if you want low key living. The Mahana is a condo next to North Beach and is an upscale place to stay. Top of the line is the Whalers on Ka’anapali beach. There are a lot of good deals out there now and the VRBO sites have a lot of listings all over Maui. You can find no end of rentals on the internet.
    Will the rental car business is DOA on Maui. The Co’s are sending cars out to the Mainland and who knows what the automaker bankruptcies will do to the car rental business. Maybe the day’s of Toyota and VW mom & pop rentals Co’s will return. (Rent a Wreck, Rainbow Rentals and the like).
    Here's some picts for you two.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Lanikai

Lanikai Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Will Campbell
    I'm guessing that second picture may be a Kauai shot. Is that the Finest Kind off of Oluwalu? Hard to imagine the rental business surviving with out factory buyback programs. Sadly those very programs were part of the problem those guys face today. At one point we ran over 4000 cars at Alamo and could have used more. Thanks for the whale shot. Brings back great memories.

6. mauispence

Aug 2, 2005
    Lahaina, Maui, Hawai
    Full Name:
    Jim Spence
    #31 mauispence, May 19, 2009
    Last edited: May 19, 2009
    Will, All those shots are from West Maui in the Mahinahina area where I live. The boat is "No Problem" the "Ugly" twin to "Finest Kind"
    You would never mistake the two if you were within a 100 yds of both. Dave Hudson keeps FK in tiptop shape and NP tends to get only what it needs to keep from sinking. The new owner is BOAT STUPID!! I use to fish NP all the time with my Capt. when Chris Rose owned it. The cars are "au pau" and probably back on the mainland and sold.(to some poor bastard)
    When you think about it they couldn't get much abuse as little as they got rented. I only saw the MAZ out once and the F-car twice. I don't remember the rates but even "Kamaina" :) they were way too high for me.

7. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    I'm coming back-out for a week in November....there better be something for me to rent for a night on Oahu when I get there....

8. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    I just spoke to the fellow that had the 355 for rent in Waikiki. Business was simply too slow to support the car. It is no longer available. There is one small company still standing amid the wreckage. I think that he has a Porsche, Corvette, Viper, and Hummer: no Ferrari.