Exoticcars 575SA Manual Conversion | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Exoticcars 575SA Manual Conversion

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by 2005575superamerica, May 30, 2024.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ffre92

Ffre92 Formula Junior

May 26, 2014
    NY
    “The 550/575 is not a fast car”

agree except on this part. My criteria for a “not “fast car” is something you can be on wot on a regular basis. My 993 falls in that category. Not many times I can get wot in 2nd in the 575! It’s amazing it is over 20 years old and still feel so fast

2. otoupalik

otoupalik Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Brad Otoupalik
    Yea, I agree. It was a bit of hyperbole as in comparing it to the modern crop of sports/super cars.

I mean and vette pr mustang gt or Camaro zl1 is faster. Think the Hyundai n-spec is faster. lol.

My tuned q7 is faster from a launch to 80.

500 hp ain’t what it once was.

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Brad- No sense arguing about it. I have lots of 3 pedal experience and like F1, what can you say? As for the market speaking, guess that is why there are no new 3 pedal Ferraris available now. The market spoke.

dm_n_stuff and otoupalik like this.
  4. otoupalik

otoupalik Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Brad Otoupalik
    We are not arguing, we are discussing. We see it differently, and that’s ok, we can also discuss for hours why car makers are eliminating manuals, and how every manual sports car is worth significantly more than the paddle option. But at the end of the day it comes down to preference. While I have no clue why you would like the f1 over the manual, I am glad for the options. It saddens me that manufacturers are taking away our choice!

I also don’t like most new cars. Very very give the feeling of driving them v. Riding in a semi-autonomous machine. =)

I don’t like machines, I am a control freak. Like to make ALL the decisions when driving. I don’t enjoy fighting with computers over what fear I should be in, or if the wheels should be spinning. Those are my choices, as it’s my experience. But again, as a racer I am a bit different. I can get all out performance from a purpose built car without compromises and push to and past the limits. On the street, I don’t care about stats and 0-60 and shift time. I just want a fun organic and pure experience.

cgt000, 308 GTB and LorenzoOO like this.
  5. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    Today's Ferrari gearboxes are a totally different animal then the predecessors of 20 and 30 years ago. I think that's what the conversions are focusing on. It's equivalent to comparing gear changing of non-synchronized vs synchronization. It's that much of a leap forward.

6. Ffre92

Ffre92 Formula Junior

May 26, 2014
    NY
    I don’t think the market spoke. I think it was just Ferrari that spoke. I remember reading that the US manual take rate for gt3 is 70%. I’m sure that if Ferrari offered a manual model right now it would cause quite the stir.

otoupalik likes this.
  7. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

mrp_e, cgt000, otoupalik and 2 others like this.
  8. 2005575superamerica

May 11, 2011
    New York
    Too late to change my mind .....

Took my final paddle ride to Milford NJ (F1A still fun to drive)

Very Happy all around !!

Wil update upon completion

9. Elroy11

Elroy11 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 19, 2023
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Just go for it.

otoupalik likes this.
  10. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    I just left Exoticars. I went to visit Wil. There are a load of 599's in process of the sex change.

11. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    PC, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    One of which is coming home Monday after a little service by the geniuses there!

Ferrari55whoa likes this.
  12. 2005575superamerica

May 11, 2011
    New York
    hope you saw a tdf SA

13. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Since you are in the SA sub culture....I wonder if anyone in ages has seen the Bianco over Sabbia SA.

According to Nathan's registry, I think its the only white US 575 platform Maranello.....

14. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    It was present

15. 2005575superamerica

May 11, 2011
    New York
    I saw a clip of a white SA on the web Not the best color but still looked pretty good

Don't see many 575 or SA around town

16. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    @2005575superamerica…l am not far behind you.

My black/tan SA is on a Reliable truck on the way to Exoticars for the manual conversion too!

Texas Forever and Aerosurfer like this.
  17. vandevanterSH

vandevanterSH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2005
    AR
    Full Name:
    Stephen Van Devanter
    Do the conversions like 1st to 3rd shifts when cold like the OEM?

SCantera likes this.
  18. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    I do the 1st-3rd shift in every (manual) Ferrari I have owned. Right now it’s in my 330 and BB512. The SA will be next!!

Texas Forever likes this.
  19. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    PC, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    For context, my 575 is an OEM conversion by Exoticars. Tom (the conversion guru over there) rebuilt the factory turret with a new OEM bushing and generally put a fair amount of time into making sure it was factory-fresh. The car slips into 2nd gear on the first shift/when cold with zero feedback or grumpiness from the gearbox - no need to skip to 3rd. This was one of the most surprising experiences to me. In contrast, the 550 does push back a bit when cold.

SCantera likes this.
  20. vandevanterSH

vandevanterSH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2005
    AR
    Full Name:
    Stephen Van Devanter
    Interesting....I was wondering if the "hang up" on cold 1st to 2nd shifts was linkage or the transmission internals. If transmission, I was picturing the F1 system jamming the cold 1 to 2 shift; not good.

21. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    PC, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Agreed. @tazandjan may be able to provide more context here, but if I recall what Terry has written in the past, the 575 has synchro rings (unlike the 550) which help manage the F1's "it's going into gear whether you like it or not" mentality.

I was surprised as I thought (like you) that the solid shift linkage and gearbox internals would impact the 1-2 shift more than anything else, but all I can tell you is that the 575 is buttery smooth from the first shift. Maybe a combination of the 575 synchro rings and fresh factory parts ahead of the transmission?

brogenville and mrp_e like this.
  22. mrp_e

mrp_e Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2003
    Coasts
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Anyone know if it's possible to install the 575 synchro rings into a 550 for added reliability, or are the systems incompatible?

23. ixlr8

ixlr8 Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2015
    Eastern Shore- Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim
    When I first got my 550, shifts into 2nd when cold... just were not going to happen. According to the receipts, it had the "recommended" oil and additives in it. I had Bradan do some engine work and change all the fluids. At this point I shift into 2nd when cold and I don't even think about it... it just goes in as smooth as any of the other gears. I have moved 3 times since I got the car and I haven't seen the records since our last move. Although I am still unpacking. If I can find them, I'll post what fluids Bradan used and what was in the car previously.

mrp_e likes this.
  24. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The gearbox cases on the 550 and 575M are pretty much identical, so likely it is possible to swap out the guts. Might require more surgery and added parts than just the synchros. The 575M shares gearbox parts with the Enzo, 612, and 599, all beefed up for F1 and heavier torque loads. The extra synchros are only on the lower gears.

If you were going to do something like that, would also be a good idea to update the reverse gear retention system. This is a known issue with 456s through most 575s and was fixed at 575M transaxle number 1869.

mrp_e likes this.
  25. Ffre92

Ffre92 Formula Junior

May 26, 2014
    NY
    Must be whoever the Ferrari gods wish to bless. Bradan services my oem 6mt 575, changes gearbox fluid yearly, but mine is still grumpy when cold. It isn’t much of a bother. Maranellos are such torque monsters that 3d gear pulls similar to 2nd on most other cars!

mrp_e likes this.