EXOTICS ON MAIN- OPEN INVITE TO ALL | Page 3 | FerrariChat

EXOTICS ON MAIN- OPEN INVITE TO ALL

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by jts355, May 21, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jts355

jts355 Karting

Sep 2, 2005
    I am all for whatever turns this into a 30-50 car circus (in a good way) and helps the group grab the prime spots. As a side note, a friend of mine suggested lunch at a spot on main. I popped in to buy some bread and said something to the girl behind the counter about the crush on Saturday and she told me the owners LOVED it. I really think it's about word of mouth and everyone inviting someone new to keep this thing going/growing. I would really like to see us take over the other spots East and West of 102nd and 103rd and more of the lot in the coming weeks.

2. Kevinwi

Kevinwi Karting

Nov 21, 2006
    #52 Kevinwi, May 26, 2008
    Last edited: May 26, 2008
    I assume you're talking about something above-board, rather than a meeting somewhere under a bridge in trench coats. <G>

3. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #53 synchro, May 26, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Agreed.
    Weren't the incidental crowds one of the major factors that killed the So. Cal.'s Crystal Cove event?

Perhaps a larger area such as the huge parking on the South side of Downtown Bellevue Park at NE 1st Street/102nd Ave might be attractive. It is just one block North of the current Main St. area so it is still within walking distance to Coffee/Pastries, yet has much safe parking.

Blocking off Main would generate resistance from homeowners which need access off of 102nd and 101st Ave SE onto Main St. as these are major entrance/exit areas to/from their homes. I grew up in that area. The only thing stricter than Bellevue officers are Medina officers and this event is near the border of both, so you don't want to play with fire as we enter the motorcycle officer season (they even ticketed the richest man in the world once...).

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Realistically? Unlikely. Blocking the street won't happen, as that requires a street use permit, and unlikely to be issued on a continual basis for a major arterial. Blocking off parking would require permission from the local busineses, and may be possible with the cooperation of the Old Bellevue Merchants Association, or whatever they call the local business owners group in that area. Someone would need to find out who is in charge of the local business owners group (probably through the Bellevue Downtown Association) to gain their support.

5. Kevinwi

Kevinwi Karting

Nov 21, 2006
    #55 Kevinwi, May 27, 2008
    Last edited: May 27, 2008
    It sounds like Main Street may not be a good idea moving forward.

I like the South side of Downtown Bellevue Park idea. If there's enough parking, I'm all over it.

BTW: Would we have to change the name of our event? <G>

6. Snick

Snick Rookie

Apr 6, 2008
    i live in downtown and have to fill up with gas right now would be as good a time as any...wonder how much premium is now

i can look. for a nice place on the side of the road... or what about parking spots in the park, there is alot.

7. StoryBook

StoryBook F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 1, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    MPL
    #57 StoryBook, May 27, 2008
    Last edited: May 27, 2008
    Exotics "North of" Main

Exotics "Off of" Main

:)

8. Kevinwi

Kevinwi Karting

Nov 21, 2006
    I think "Park n Ride" is taken.

9. StoryBook

StoryBook F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 1, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    MPL
    lol

10. Snick

Snick Rookie

Apr 6, 2008
    there is lots of side parking on 101st and some on 102nd which since this is a 7am to 9am get together should be open. there is lots of parking in the bellevue park..

which is just off old main....

11. jts355

jts355 Karting

Sep 2, 2005
    Scott- you are correct. Crystal Cove was also axed because it was a private lot and while some of the business owners enjoyed an uptick in business some did complain. They had a bit more pull since it was in a private lot I'm pretty sure. I'm all for moving in the direction the group wants but do like a couple of things about the current location:

1. current location/spots are public...we're on city streets
    2. the parking configuration, in my opinion, is nice as the cars aren't stacked side by side with crowds walking in between cars.
    3. the vantage points are great from both sides of the street

All of the suggestions are great and I'm really looking forward to seeing if things continue to grow. I still feel that we should hold tight for the time being if for no other reason the current location seems to be getting around in different circles

12. Jalpa_Mike

Jalpa_Mike F1 Rookie

Apr 2, 2004
    Sequim
    Full Name:
    Michael Wilson
    I figure I can chime in here a bit as well. Several years ago when we began looking for a new location for the Italian Concours, Bellevue was at the top of our list (in particular, that nice large circular park just south of Bellevue Square). I spent several hours at Bellevue City Hall giving presentations of our event, giving them various talking points about how much business could be generated for local businesses with over 3000 people coming through the gates, etc.). It was pretty clear early on, that we were fighting an uphill battle. Concern for traffic, not wanting us to park cars on the grass, closing streets, getting approval from other city groups, etc.. So we dropped our pursuit.

It was about that time that the City of Des Moines basically rolled out the red carpet for us, greased the skids and made it the best experience we've ever dealing with a city. I can't say enough about Des Moines and how they have helped the Italian Concours. After dealing with the City of Seattle Parks Department since 1997, this was a breath of fresh air! :)

Bottom line, I think anyone would be fighting an uphill battle with trying to close a street in downtown Bellevue. But then again, you folks are talking a small get together and not a full blown car show. So, you might be able to score! :) Good luck!

13. Snick

Snick Rookie

Apr 6, 2008
    so another meet this saturday? on main? i want to swing by in my superbee...no ferrari yet if thats cool. (18y.o.)

14. jts355

jts355 Karting

Sep 2, 2005
    #64 jts355, May 29, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Mike- thanks for the insight. You guys do a very nice job with the Italian Concours....last year was awesome. For "Exotics on Main" (which is certainly no full blown car show) I think, for now, it's well advised to fly under the radar and avoid hassle.

On a side note...from what I've heard there is definitley a BUZZ going around. I've read/been told that this event has caught the attention of several other groups and I'd expect we see another bump this week. The weather looks to be great. I know it's early....but there's a ton of spots open upto about 7:30am. I am loving the Ferrari turn out basically from Fchat and the clubs and hope our group grows again this week.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. BritBlaster

BritBlaster F1 Rookie

Jul 25, 2005
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    UPDATE: You do NOT want to miss this Saturday's event. If plans come together there will be something VERY special for your viewing enjoyment. Will not spoil the surprise here (and avoid embarrassment if it's a "no show"), but you'll kick yourself (hard) if it does show and you missed it...

I'll meet anyone that's interested in caravaning at the Newcastle P&R (exit #9 on 405) for a prompt 7:15 departure. Otherwise, see you on Main!

16. Jalpa_Mike

Jalpa_Mike F1 Rookie

Apr 2, 2004
    Sequim
    Full Name:
    Michael Wilson
    Very Cool Paul.

I hope you can all caravan down to Griot's after you meet on Main. My guess is, the same "surprise" might be at Griot's as well according to Guy! Like you said... "come one, come all.. you might be kicking yourself if it shows up and you miss it!" :)

Mike

17. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    My Boxer is apparently "sold" on eBay, but I am planning on bring it to the Bellevue show in the morning...

Probably Griot's too.... this will be farewell for the Boxer, before it leaves town.

Gary

18. BritBlaster

BritBlaster F1 Rookie

Jul 25, 2005
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    Paul

There are going to be a LOT of f-bombs on Exotics on Main this Saturday -- hope to see your new baby Gary!!!!

The weather is going to be niiiiiice

19. RumorDude

RumorDude Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2003
    Woodinville, WA
    I think you're right. There is a lot of word-of-mouth floating around right now; just this week i have seen three private "please come" messages already. I wish it wasn't so early in the morning. Don't you people like to stay up late and party on Friday night ?

20. BritBlaster

BritBlaster F1 Rookie

Jul 25, 2005
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #70 BritBlaster, Jun 13, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2008
    Kevin -- you're a married-with-kids type *and* you party hardy on Friday ??

I like the early-morning start despite the fact that I'm not a morning person -- there's no traffic, easy to get pole-position parking and when you're done you still have most of the day left to work on the honey-dos, work, play or whatever...

Oh, and I would LOVE to see your purple monster again!

21. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I would like to go. But, today is my BIRTHDAY and I'm going to be out celebrating tonight and will probably not feel like getting up at the crack of dawn to be in Bellevue by 7:30AM.

Maybe next weekend.

Gary

22. BritBlaster

BritBlaster F1 Rookie

Jul 25, 2005
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Happy Birthday!

Party all night till sunrise, then head over to Main Street for a "pick-me-up" cappuchino!!! -- you're a young pup, you could pull that off!

23. StoryBook

StoryBook F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 1, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    MPL
    Combination of weather and the increased word of mouth............this saturday could prove to be the largest turn out to date. Too bad I'll have to miss it as well and its not due to partying all night ;)

24. roytoy2003

roytoy2003 F1 Veteran

Jul 30, 2004
    Full Name:
    Roy L. Cats
    Yes, I WILL be coming also...with a NEW SUPRISE!!!

C ya all there tomorrow...

25. RumorDude

RumorDude Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2003
    Woodinville, WA
    the kids just help keep me young for longer. Yes, we are partying tonight. After beer friday here in the office, we're going to head over to joeys and the lincoln square area. What will happen, who knows?

It's beautiful, like a flower. Not a monster. /offended