EXOTO | FerrariChat

EXOTO

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by lucky_13_2002, Dec 1, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lucky_13_2002

lucky_13_2002 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 26, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #1 lucky_13_2002, Dec 1, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I thought it would be cool if we started an Exoto exclusive thread. I hope everyone can share their experience and models they have from this manufacturer. I know they are many mixed feelings out there about them and especially about their 500F2s.
    Well, I happened to have a great conversation on the phone with them the other day. It was the most insightful 30 min about the die cast world I had in a long time.
    Here is some interesting info.
    According to them there is pretty much no one in the world that knows how to make really good Die cast model parts, at a reasonable cost, other than the chinese. This is why their believe was that after moving their factory to Dubay, they would need at least four models before they can return to their really high standard and keep it at the same price. This is also why the first couple of Ferrari 500F2s came in a motorbox box and later on the different variations would be in a "grand prix classics" boxes. Also according to them the quality of the same 500F2 model will improve and the model would evolve in pretty much the same way as the real car did.
    In the future they will get back with the program about their Ferrari lineup. From now on every fifth model they introduce will be a Ferrari. They realize they had dropped the ball on the F cars, but they say it is because the moving of the factory from china to Dubay.
    I asked when the 246 and Villeneuve's 126 would come out. The answer was 4th quarter of 08. Interesting enough they would come out at the same time. The blue and green 500F2s should be out not too long after X-mass.
    I brought up with them the comparison with CMC's models. Some pretty interesting things came out. The most interesting thing was that I was given a glimpse behind the logic by which the two companies make their models and now a lot of things make a lot more sense about both the CMC's and Exoto's 500F2s. According to Exoto, they try to sell a piece of history in 3D and their believe is that a lot of the subjects they are working on are vintage cars that are overrestored. Therefore there isn't really a reliable source of how exactly the real car looked like in '53. One of the big issues between the CMC and Exoto is the under side of their 500F2. There is a common believe that cars had closed underbellies as early as '50/'51. This is why their model reflects that. If you think about it what they say is true. They can make the model in the same fashion as the CMC, but the same little intricate screws used on the CMC model would be as big as the biggest bolts used on tanks, if they are brought up to scale. Also a very good point brought by them is that CMC's proportions are actually inaccurate. And if you compare the two models side by side you would find out that they are right. And as CMC provides us with many intricate and beautiful details, they are designed basically for the "wow factor" and are historically inaccurate. I mean do you really believe that the real car from '53 had its fuel thank polished and smooth as glass? I seriously doubt it. Same goes for the rims, which were not polished for sure. So here is the difference in the logic the two were built. The CMC created a masterpiece that was designed with the thought of impressing with its pieces and the Exoto is a masterpiece that was designed to make you feel like you are holding something that came out of '53. Two totally different styles that deserve an equal amount of respect. And before any one tries to bash either one, keep in mind that these masterpieces are offered at the same price as the Mattel Super Elite crap.
    Just to kick it off here are a couple of pictures.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. noelsairplanes

noelsairplanes Karting
    BANNED

Oct 19, 2004
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    #2 noelsairplanes, Dec 2, 2007
    While I won't argue shape / appearance with you, one of your comments about the polished finish on the wire wheels of the CMC version of the 500F2 is easily remedied. I've attached a photo of mine to show the wheels refinished in flat silver. Quality of construction and materials, no comparison. CMC is the winner hands down. Like you, I have both the CMC model and the Exoto versions so I've done a side by side comparison. The body shapes are different, but as to which one is correct, we really don't know, I agree. Yes, the Exoto version does appear be in a unrestored finish as opposed to the CMC version but, as with anything else, both versions have their good and bad points, I would totally agree. As for the introduction of new models, don't ever believe the release dates given by Exoto. I, for one, have had two models on order for over 5 years and have Exotos order number confirmations to prove it. I've not even received the courtesy of a reply from Exoto when I ask what happened to them! They've produced some very nice models over the years but, the quality of their newer models, like the 500F2s, doesn't begin to compare to the quality of the models done in the past.

3. zebra308

zebra308 Formula 3

Jan 14, 2004
    All Flimmits
    Full Name:
    Ruffis Leekin
    Sheeze,
    I'm glad (sort of) to see I'm not the only one on the waiting list for exotos. I too, have a confirmation number and it's been about 4 years.
    I hope it will be worth the wait.

4. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Actually, I had a beef with them about their first Ferrari, the 312B. This car changed substantially in detail throughout the period it was in use, and none of the first releases of this model was entirely correct:

--The triangular wing endplates were used only at Spa and Monza, and at Monza, at least, the "Gurney flap" was not used.
    --The windshield shape provided was only used by Jacky Ickx; Regazzoni and Andretti used a more open style.
    --At Mexico City and Kyalami the front air intake was noticeably deeper than the one on the model.
    --In 1971 the Firestone tires were of lower profile than the ones on the model, and the models' appear too square anyway.
    --And in comparison to later models, the head on the first-generation driver figure appears to be too big!

Eventually, I bought one of the second releases of this model, Ickx at Spa, which while still not 100% correct, was closer than any of the other versions. And of course, they never answered my letters.....

5. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    The wheels on your CMC look so much better, well done! Are the tires easily removed from the wheels?

6. noelsairplanes

noelsairplanes Karting
    BANNED

Oct 19, 2004
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    Relatively easy to remove tires but, be very careful not to damage the wire wheels by putting too much force on them. Soaking the wheel assembly it hot water will soften the tires to help in removal.

7. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    #7 Gatorrari, Dec 2, 2007
    And here is some supporting evidence:

--The first photo, of Regazzoni's Monza winner, shows the missing Gurney flaps and the shorter windshield. Also the front tires not only look more rounded than the models', but narrower as well.
    --The second photo, of Andretti's Kyalami winner, shows the bigger air intake and also the shorter windshield. Also note the lower profile of the front tires typical for 1971.

And does anyone know what the device is sticking up from the back of the rear wing mount, most noticeable in the first photo? Whatever it is, it's also missing from Exoto's 312B.

8. alfred tiegler

alfred tiegler Karting

Jul 4, 2007
    Sadly any mention of the word Exoto that I have ever seen no matter how innocent inevitabley will turn so vitriolic, so negative, and so creepy that it makes me wince. but for what it's worth I like their models. and yes their 500 is more accurate. And my favorite Exoto is yet to come.

9. noelsairplanes

noelsairplanes Karting
    BANNED

Oct 19, 2004
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    It appears that Exoto has alienated many loyal customers with false promises about the delivery of specific models. I placed my order for two models in March of 2002, yes that's right, over 5 1/2 years ago! After 4 years +, I e-mailed Exoto and was told the one model, a Aston Martin Vanquish,should be ready to go within a few months. The other model, a Ferrari 250 GTO will be a little bit longer, maybe within 6-8 months. In a later e-mail, I was then told the GTO might show up by Christmas of 2006. Well, here it is, almost Christmas of 2007, no models and now, no answers to my e-mails asking for updates. This hobby has given new meaning to the word "patience" but, at this point in time, my patience has worn out and I'm totally disgusted with Exoto and their lies. Strong emotions? You better believe it. Can you blame me?

In regards to the statement that the Exoto version is "more accurate", what do you mean? Are you referring to the shape, the details, or both and what are you basing your opinion on? Don't misunderstand, I happen to find the body shape on the Exoto more pleasing but it's not based on accuracy, just my personal opinion.

10. alfred tiegler

alfred tiegler Karting

Jul 4, 2007
    Dejavue... like being in Groundhog Day. Have heard your story before. Have a few of my own. I bet mine are way juicier and gruesome than yours. I couldn't give a Flying Wallenda anymore.

More accurate in the way of suspension and body. And in the long run, Exoto wil have the history of Ferrari First World Champion. They've already started it. Tweeking for improvments. adding little extra details ( restrictor plates and other great doodads), adding privateers (love the Rosier version). They'll probably with have Alberto Ascari modelled - maybe Nino Farina- maybe all Four Aces. They'll have alot of fun with the whole series. CMC will have what it has. And thats a very nice model.

and this'll have to be it for me on this Exoto thread. I can see a magilla getting ready to start. I'm sure you'll have some company shortly.

11. lucky_13_2002

lucky_13_2002 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 26, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I am not trying to advocate Exoto's innocence in any way as I was/am on the same waiting lists as everyone else (or at least the ones involving Ferrari releases). What I was trying to say was just that I gained some better understanding to the way these kind of models were made. Here is what happened by pure chance. I received an offer for thanksgiving of 50% off any existing model. So I decided to get two more 500F2s as I thought that at 2 for the price of one it is worth having a yellow one and also a short nose version. So I called on the phone (I hate dealing with internet orders) and believe it or not the person who answered was (I believe) the owner of the company. He explained to me the many challenges the company faced in the last couple of years and told me he really realizes they have dropped the ball. He did not try to make excuses about it and I guess that is what I liked about him. He basically just said >we know whats wrong and we are dealing with it to fix it<
    He basically admitted being taken by surprise by CMC and said they are the only competition Exoto has. It is amazing what he said about the construction of the models. There is apparently a whole secondary industry. There are many subcontractors who build different parts for the models, then sell them to Exoto and then Exoto puts the cars together. The problem according to the person on the phone is that the only people who really know how to produce such detailed parts are the chinese. Lately however it is gotten difficult as they don't want to make these parts anymore, hence the lack of production of already announced models. Basically the people who use to make little intricate parts now make door handles and knobs because they can have higher production numbers with less defective material and therefore make more money. This is why Exoto was moving their factory to Dubay- a move that is now complete. Their believe was that the first 3/4 models would be kinda try outs as the new production line had to learn by trial and error. Because they feared that the 500F2 would not be on par with their other models, Exoto released it under a Motorbox label and as they improve they will switch to Racing Legends.
    As for the details I was surprised to find out that he had quite an extensive knowledge of all the details on the CMC model. So for example about the exhaust he talked with a passion how beautiful of a part the little rubber bracket is, that holds the exhaust and how complicated it is to make it. Yet how inaccurate it is compared to what really was on the real car. So basically Exoto try to learn and improve based on both companies mistakes, which is evident by the bracket on the new 500F2.
    Anyway, as soon as I get the two new ones in my collection I'll post more pics.
    Now let's see some more photos.

12. lucky_13_2002

lucky_13_2002 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 26, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Michael
    By the way Exoto is not limited to Ferrari or the 500F2 in particular so let's see all your exoto models.

13. noelsairplanes

noelsairplanes Karting
    BANNED

Oct 19, 2004
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    Well, unless Exoto improves their business ethics, my days of collecting Exoto models is over. I've pretty much given up collecting die cast model cars anyway. I've concentrated now on hand built models, primarily in 1/43rd scale but a number of them in 1/24th and 1/20th scale as well. The sole exception has been CMC which in my opinion, is still the best overall. I have a close friend who is considered one of the finest model builders in the USA, possibly the world, and he became a believer in CMC with their introduction of the Maserati "birdcage". Nothing I have seen comes close to the quality and detail of this superb model. I'm sure any collector who has seen this model themselves will agree. Every brand has its good points and it's faults. IMHO, at this time, CMC is the only company building die casts of the quality I consider acceptable and worthy of a placing in a collection of finest quality model cars.

I find it interesting,and pleasing, that Exoto has admitted the quality of the 500F2 series would not allow them to put it in the "racing legends" line and yet they increased their prices considerably across their entire different series of models, including the Motorbox series. Those of us familiar with the Racing Legend series will attest to the fact that the quality, of the 500F2 is inferior and uses many more plastic components. Nobody has mentioned the tires that appear to be molded plastic rather than rubber and have a unrealistic high gloss finish.

14. litespeed1

litespeed1 Karting

Jul 17, 2006
    Little Rock,Arkansas
    The photos and evaluations described in this thread are appreciated and noteworthy.I too have been patiently waiting for my order from Exoto since about March of 03 (I think).I hope my 156 Sharknose arrives before I'm too old to recognize it.

15. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I've never ordered in advance from Exoto, so the long delays in producing the product haven't bothered me. And aside from my comments on the 312B noted above, I've been perfectly happy with the others in my collection: 312T, 312T4 and 641/2. Actually I do have one on order, a Williams FW14B (with Mansell driver figure), which is intended as a Christmas present for a friend of mine. Which Christmas? Whichever one occurs after Exoto decides to release the model!

16. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
  17. noelsairplanes

noelsairplanes Karting
    BANNED

Oct 19, 2004
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    Wish you luck and long life!

Who knows, maybe you'll get lucky and get your 1/10th 330P4 while you're still breathing but, don't count on it!

18. dangmckane

dangmckane Rookie

Jan 11, 2007
    There are good points on both sides of this topic, however, here are some key points.
    1. CMC's model is licensed by Ferrari and Exoto's is not.
    2. Because CMC's model is licensed, Ferrari had direct input into the development of their model. At least 3 different prototypes were sent to Ferrari for their input before Ferrari would "sign off" and approve their model.
    3. CMC's model is almost all metal, including the chassis. Exoto's is not - their chassis and other parts are plastic.
    4. The Fuel/Oil tank on CMC's model is not chrome, it's polished stainless steel. Is this accurate? I cannot say as I have never seen an actual picture of the 500 F2 with the tail cover removed.
    5. CMC's wheels are not accurate because the original car had painted steel wheels. CMC & Ferrari felt the machined aluminum wheels were better quality and looked better.
    6. CMC's body is 100% accurate based on the long nosed version that Ferrari raced, and the actual car that Ferrari gave CMC access to for measurements and photos.

Both models display well and look good. Though some collectors feel the Exoto model has a more pleasing shape, there is no guarantee that it is accurate, because it was not approved by Ferrari. I guess it all comes down to each persons preference. Happy collecting!!

19. noelsairplanes

noelsairplanes Karting
    BANNED

Oct 19, 2004
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    I was hoping you'd reply to the comments made by all of us here on FerrariChat. The bottom line is, both the CMC and Exoto versions of the 500F2 have their own characteristics, both good and bad. Appearance is strictly personal opinion, something you can't argue about. Bottom line? A collector is going to buy the one he finds most appealing overall or, in some cases like mine, he'll buy both versions. The fact that CMC went the proper route and got the model approved, and properly licensed by Ferrari should certainly give some creedance to the body shape that Ferrari approved as being correct. The use of formed sheet metal parts in areas like the hood, which more realistically mimic the thickness of the real car as opposed to die cast components that are way out of scale is another plus for CMC and, to the best of my knowledge, CMC was one of the first if not the first, manufacturer to use this process, is another plus for CMC.

Fine models by the fine folks at CMC for collectors that truly appreciate quality!

20. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I find them all the time in Flea Market bins....LOL!

I have a whole bunch of them and at $40 -$50, fairly priced....at the retail level, not so much.......

I don't think I have ever preoredered one, for that reason....it's just a model.....:D :D :D

21. noelsairplanes

noelsairplanes Karting
    BANNED

Oct 19, 2004
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    Big Tex,

I assume you're referring to Exoto models, not CMC? The resale value of Exoto models, with a few rare exceptions, has traditionally been pretty poor, a good deal at $40 to $50.

22. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The thread says' Exoto'...........yes, I was referring to the Nicki Lauda, Ragazzoni, Andretti driver's versions of the 312T3, T4s........

23. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    No model is collectible, I spent $25 this weekend to mail a $25 model to Canada.

Luckily, I threw in some extras so the value was a little higher then the freight! LOL!

After I am gone, they'll have to pay the Trash Man to haul my collection away!

24. alfred tiegler

alfred tiegler Karting

Jul 4, 2007
    As so goes any and all Exoto threads.

25. lucky_13_2002

lucky_13_2002 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 26, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I don't think that some of you are taking seriously what you are saying.
    First off, last I checked almost every exoto model that has been discontinued started demanding premium no more than a year later and it is not easily found. You don't believe me, try to get a T2 or a 641 at list price. Curiously enough the CMC 250 SWB, which in my opinion is THE best Ferrari model ever made in 1:18 scale, has very hard time selling and it is readily available from most retailers long after its production has ceased.
    Then, I would like to know where can I find any Exoto Ferrari for $40 $50, especially the T3, as if I am not mistaken, it was never produced. Hell, tell me where they have them and I'll pay sticker.
    Last but not least, about the Ferrari approval and rights. At the 2003 USGP, Exoticar somehow got their hands on an Enzo in 1:18 by Hot wheels and displayed it in their tent. The problem was that the real car was supposed to be revealed at the Paris Auto Show and the die cast model along with it, which happen to be after the USGP. So, after Exoto displayed the model, it took just a couple of hours for a Ferrari official to appear and confiscate it (and later return it under the condition it would not be displayed). Would someone then explain to me how come Exoto not only continued selling their model, but also keep coming with new versions. Rest assured, it would never happen without Ferrari's approval. I think this issue has been blown out of proportion and CMC have been dealt a not so fair hand.
    Also about Ferrari approving the CMC model does not mean squat to me as they have approved some monstrosities with their name on the box that are a disgrace to the company's name.
    Now on a different note, during my conversation, interestingly enough I was asked what I would think about models made in 1:16 scale and if I would buy such a model. When I said that I have Ferraris of all scales, the reply was > So I guess you are the wrong person to ask< It was great to find out that there are many unconventional ideas coming from Exoto. The reason for the question turned out to be that many collectors like the 1:12 scale (or 1:10) but that they stay away from it because of the space such models take and all the challenges associated with their display. So 1:16 would give room for more and better detail and yet be not so much bigger than the "standard" 1:18. I personally think it is a great Idea.