Experience Buying a New Rolex Submariner | FerrariChat

Experience Buying a New Rolex Submariner

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by desmomini, May 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. desmomini

desmomini F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2003
    Upstate SC
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Had an interesting time this week in sourcing a desirable watch - figured the FChat brethren might appreciate a vicarious journey...I recently decided to finally bite the bullet and buy a Rolex Submariner Date. New. I remember the feeling of walking into the store to buy my first "real" watch, a Tag Heuer stainless diver back in the 1990s. Felt the time was ripe to recapture that, a bit more grown up.

I'm set to do a contract job in Barcelona for a month, and figured I'd check the Authorized Rolex Dealers there. Did my due diligence on the euro vs the dollar, how much I'd save by reclaiming the VAT vs how much I'd have to pay as U.S. duty, etc. Then also calculated the hassle of having a high-dollar watch in a high petty crime city, getting the box and papers back unmolested in my luggage, etc, and determined I should at least give the local AD's a shot. Plus, I had no knowledge of whether the AD's in Spain would even have Sub Dates in stock, especially since my email inquiries to Barcelona haven't garnered specific replies.

So I stopped by one local AD on Monday, breezed past the armed security guard (yikes) and said "Rolex?" in reply to the stuffy suit-n-tie salesman who asked me, "Can I help you?" "Right over there" he instructed. I wandered to the case full of shiny objects, devoid of the more interesting shiny objects.

Asked the gentleman what the deal is with Submariners. He was actually pretty helpful, told me flatly that they have a list, they sell them at MSRP, they get approximately one per month, the list is long, and if you just put down your name without a deposit, you will be bumped back if someone else shows up with money to get on the list. He advised leaving a $2000 deposit.

Considering I've custom ordered $30,000 cars for $500 deposits, I didn't think it was a great idea to leave $2000 for an $8550 watch with no guarantee of delivery.

I also enquired about shipping to my home address, which is in a close but different state. He told me that would run another $100.

Remembering I had a great experience buying a Tudor long distance from FChatter Darth550's wife, I contacted her out in Los Angeles. She doesn't carry Rolex, but confirmed my fears that the new ceramic dial Subs are difficult to source...she said it's very difficult unless you have a dealer you've established a relationship with, and even then it's hard. Apparently folks are waiting ages, paying over list, etc.

Flash forward one day, Tuesday. I checked the other local AD, from whom I bought a Panerai in 2008. Wait...they seemed familiar to me...oh yeah, that's because back in 2010, I was working on a TV show that needed six Tag Carreras (long story) and I was called to negotiate a deal, charge them to my Amex, and put in for reimbursement. (Yes, I did get 15% off all six, and yes, I did get reimbursed in time to pay off my Amex, but it was pretty alarming to carry that $21,000 in unsecured debt for three weeks...again, the whole thing is a long story for another time.)

So at the AD, I walked in and immediately posed the question. "Rolex Sub Date? What's your deal?" The salesman made a pained face. "Oh, it takes a while. It can take a long time. Um...well...have you shopped here before?" "Yes, but it's been a while." "Okay, what's your name? Can you spell that?" He typed my name in their computer. 7 watch images appeared. He called over a manager. He returned. "Can you give me your number? We can call all our other stores. We'll let you know if one is available in 24 hours or less."

I left the store, did a few errands. An hour later my phone rang. "Hello. We have the watch. It will be shipped to arrive here tomorrow. Do you want it?" "Sure. Can you ship to my address in the next state over?" "Yes, sir. The price will be MSRP plus $30. We will ship FedEx overnight. It will leave here tomorrow and get to you Thursday." "Sounds good! I'll give you my Amex number." "Sir, we need to do that in person. I apologize." "No problem. See you in a little bit."

So that's it. Signed (Tuesday), sealed (Wednesday), and delivered (on the FedEx truck now!)

A new Sub date for a total charge of $8580 out the door, including overnight shipping.

4re308, Boomhauer, davidoloan and 5 others like this.
  2. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Cool story. Happy ending! Thanks for sharing.

3. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    So was this all in Barcelona? Or somewhere in the US?

4. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Like is always said, photos or it didn't happen!

5. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    I heard Rolex USA won't honor the warranty on out of country watches... Just be aware...

6. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    It sounds like it was in the US. What I don't get is why the store's other location had one in stock if there was a list. Are they creating a false demand?

7. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    My dealer mentioned submariners/GMTs sell the moment they are available. Daytonas... before that.

8. cwilson13

cwilson13 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 20, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    CWilson
    Congrats.
    It’s a great watch.

9. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Great story, congrats on the Sub! I bought a Submariner Date LV (green face, green ceramic bezel) about 1.5 years ago. At the time, I was on a wait list for about 6 months, and was dealing with an acquaintance who worked at the AD. One morning she phoned me and said "If you can be here within 20 minutes, I have a Sub LV for you"! It turned out that their one LV every 4 months had arrived that morning, and the person at the top of the list had to pass on it as he was out of town. The AD was then working their way down the wait list - if the person passed or couldn't couldn't come in right away, they called the next person. I was extremely lucky to be available, and later my contact told me that normally I wouldn't have got a routine call ever, since I hadn't bought a Rolex from them before (I'd bought other watches, though). She said that they'd take a name on the list, but if a regular customer wanted the same watch, they'd get bumped up over new customers.

It's even harder to get a Sub, GMT, or Daytona in Canada now, as Rolex still has them priced lower than the US or elsewhere (exchange considered), and the sales tax is lower here in Alberta than elsewhere in Canada, so they get many regular US buyers buying everything they can... and Rolex is sending fewer of the desirable sports models lately.

10. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I have two really good friends who are authorized dealers.

I got my no date Sub back in December for MSRP. It’s on a Rubber B strap and is my go-to everyday watch. They’re awesome.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Congratulations!

Matt

ronfrohock likes this.
  11. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    I don't know my Rolexes, so have a question out of curiosity. What is the difference between the new Subs and the vintage ones that makes the new ones so desirable?

12. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
  13. tickerhound

tickerhound Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2016
    IL
    Full Name:
    Mark
  14. desmomini

desmomini F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2003
    Upstate SC
    Full Name:
    Jeff
  15. desmomini

desmomini F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2003
    Upstate SC
    Full Name:
    Jeff
  16. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Congratulations!

Matt

17. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    funny.... I was about to post about the Sub...
    I'm actively looking. Your post answered most of my questions!
    Congratulations!
    IMO, that is "the watch" to have. There are many great watches. But in my mind, that is "it".
    Daytona would be nice too....

18. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
  19. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jeff , FWIW the new Rolex subs are trading over list. So your purchase was well done. This is what I do for a living so I can share this with you on good authority. There is a huge shortage of many of the Rolex sport watches at the moment. Best, Kirk.

20. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    You know that was a good story, and I did vicariously enjoy it. Congrats.
    Now on to the 6 watches story (which btw probably sealed this deal for you) , I am curious...

21. desmomini

desmomini F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2003
    Upstate SC
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Much appreciated! The funny thing is that watch is sitting at home while I'm working in Spain...didn't want to bring it to Europe and have to explain it to customs officials on the way out! Can't wait to get back and actually WEAR the thing!

22. desmomini

desmomini F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2003
    Upstate SC
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    The story behind buying six Tags:

I was a producer on a studio-based TV show dealing with auto racing, featuring four hosts who would sit and discuss events. My Executive Producer had the idea that it would be a great end to the season if the hosts were treated to a surprise presentation of watches, just as watches are often given in the winner's circle for events like the 24 Hours of Daytona, etc.

Since I had the reputation of being "the watch guy", my EP tasked me with finding a watch that would have the right look combined with enough cache to get a decent reaction. We weren't going to dwell on the brand, more the fact that this was a surprise gift of a shiny diver's watch.

We needed the permission of the studio head to make this purchase, so my EP suggested to him that he be the one to make the presentation. When we approached him with the concept, he said, "Hmm. I see where you're going with this. Tell you what, buy six. I want one, and I think I'll surprise my wife for Christmas."

So, I trotted off to the boutique, introduced myself to the manager, and explained that I needed six identical Tag Heuer Carreras within a few days. She obliged, I got a ton of Amex points, we recorded the show, the hosts showed appropriate on-camera appreciation, and as for the studio head...we never saw the watch on his wrist. It was suggested that maybe he gave one to his wife and one to his girlfriend...

piratepress likes this.
  23. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Indeed, she does give good advice. Stoked you got what you wanted. :)

4re308 and desmomini like this.
  24. rmk40

rmk40 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 3, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Rafi
    I'd be shocked if this was true. I live in the US and bought a watch in Canada, in person, with my name registered and on the receipt. It would make no sense and I'd be furious if they denied warranty coverage.

25. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    You may want to call. Each rolex market is different. I can see why a dealer in the US wouldn't want to perform a "free" service on a watch sold elsewhere for a cheaper amount...