Explain why the gated shifter? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Explain why the gated shifter?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by RSraddo, Mar 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
  2. solly

solly Formula 3

Jun 2, 2001
    Westchester NY
    Full Name:
    Dr. Steven S.
    There are old previous threads on this topic. Can't remember how far back. The gist of the responses was that gated shifters were cheaper to manufacture than those with internal gates. It was all just a matter of cost. Of course now it looks cool so it is kept.

From a pragmatic point of view, I can shift my WRX with the short throw kit about twice as fast as I can shift my 360 with the gate. Can't blame Villeneuve for getting pissed off at Ferrari.

The only mods I have seen on gates had more rounded corners rather than sharper angles on all the gear gates to assurer a smoother shift. Thus the lever would slide around the corner of the gate rather than bang into the gate for the next gear. I have experienced this "banging into the gate" problem myself on some short tracks where a lot of shifting needs to be done quickly. Never drove a modded gate so I don't know how much it improves things.

3. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    I believe Hill Engineering sells a modified shifter, although I am having trouble getting onto their site to link you to their specific product. Looks very nice, and intuitively, would provide for faster shifting.

4. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I believe that Hill Engineering makes a fast shift gated shifter. I personally don't think that there's anything wrong with the stock unit on the street. If I had a 348 Challenge or 355 Challenge then I might want one for those cars.

5. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

Ghost, that was wierd.

6. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Very wierd! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

But then again, Ryan, great minds think alike. ;)

7. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I think that the "Victory By Design" DVD captures this well... but it's been a few days since I've watched it...

8. shelbee

shelbee Guest

It's simply beautiful !!!!

9. LouB

LouB Formula 3

Apr 15, 2001
    FL, OR
    I had the gate moded with beveled prongs on my 512TR and 328. Definitly improves the pesky old dogleg 1-2 shift as well as the 3-4. Who hasn't had the 1-2 hangup when you were trying for a rapid getaway?

10. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    If you have the Jamiroquai "traveling without moving" CD, the title track starts with a car accelerating and it has a gated shifter. It sounds more like a Lambo than a Ferrari and I would venture to guess by the sound it's a Diablo. It's exactly what you're looking for.

EDIT: I was just listening to it again. It's definitely not a 6 speed because you can hear the double clikc out of 1st and the single click into 3rd. It sounds just like a Diablo.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH click-click WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH click WAAAAAAAAAAAH click-click WAAAAAAAAH

11. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Gabriel,

Here's a thread from about a year ago regarding Hill Engineering's modified gate:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/discus/messages/256120/205657.html

Barry

12. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com
    Thank you, BTW I have the same flag that's on your garage.

Nice cars!

13. RSraddo

RSraddo Karting

Feb 11, 2004
    Battle Creek, MI
    Full Name:
    Kyle Davidson
    WAAAAIT Im confused... 5 or 6 speed should be no different
    R 1 3 5
    2 4 6
    R 1 3 5
    2 4

Unless you are ever so unlucky to have a 914
    1 3 4
    R 2 5
    A five speed (unless in the above format) Would only be one click first to second. Two second to third. Please fill me in! :)

Kyle

14. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift

5 speed, Ferrari style

R24

So it's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh click-clack waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh clack waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh click-clack waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    clack waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa 'hello officer'

15. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Hmmm, the car here is more like

waaaaaaaAAAAAAAAH click-clack
    waaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH clack
    waaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH click-clack
    waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH clack
    waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAA...

WOOO WOO WOO WOO

Damn those "Blue Light Specials" ;-)

16. RSraddo

RSraddo Karting

Feb 11, 2004
    Battle Creek, MI
    Full Name:
    Kyle Davidson
    Are you serious?! I HATED my Dads 914 for the same pattern! I remember driving that car and going "WHY did they ruin such a fun car" 1-2 shifts were terrible. Why would Ferrari do the same? The traditional 1-2 pulling straight down is the most enjoyable gear shift of them all. Having to go up and over... makes me cringe :(

Kyle

17. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Tradition. The pattern first showed up in road racing vehicles. 1st wasn't used often, just on the start and leaving the pits. Therefore it makes more sense to have 2-5 in a nice tight pattern.

How does that 3-4 shift shown above work on the 914? I've never seen a sideways shift.

18. RedlineG60

RedlineG60 Formula 3

Dec 25, 2003
    Simpsonville, SC
    Full Name:
    Andy Thomason

Am I the only one, that whenever someone typed out their own version, sounded it out as i read it LOL

19. pizzadude

pizzadude Formula 3

Feb 20, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    I like the 2-3 shift coming straight back. Winding it out in second the car is coming into its power so I like just bringing it straight back to 3rd. Love the gated shifter. After reading this thread the other day I went out to the garage to look at mine. To me is just says Ferrari.

20. ChrisfromRI

ChrisfromRI Karting

Jan 28, 2003
    Foster, RI
    Full Name:
    Chris F
    The Ferrari 5 speed pattern is very nice on the race track since you will not want to risk a shift into Reverse or 1st, so they are put off to the side where they are well out of the way. The only down side is that some tracks require a lot of 3rd/4th shifts and you have to cross the gate for that shift, it really depends on the track.

My 308 has the Hill Engineering Gate which doesn't really speed up cross-gate shifts much, but makes sure they happen with more consistency and confidence. The 308 shifter is pretty long throw because of its long lever, and that is what makes it slower than say my S2000 which is very short throw. However, the 308 is very satifying to shift, the shifter is in a comfortable position relative to the wheel, and it works just fine. Ferrari knew what they were doing when they designed it!

Kidn Regards, Chris

21. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Shifting? Whuts dat? Us Maranello drivers don't need no stinkin shifting. Just put that puppy in 4th and go.

Dr "Torque is God" Tax

22. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    No way. I've driven the 914 and it has a conventional 5 spd:

R 2 4
    1 3 5

Gary

23. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    I wouldn't own a Ferrari without one. There is nothing else like rowing your own.

24. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

That's because the 550 has so much torque...or is it horsepower. Oh God, what have I started...

25. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Bryan, how do you like your C4? Would you buy it again and why?

DrTax