Explain why the gated shifter? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Explain why the gated shifter?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by RSraddo, Mar 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

#51 Bryan, Mar 13, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well, I am a bit torn right now. I like the C4 and it has a special place for me, since it's my first Ferrari (you never forget your first time). I am looking, but not very hard for a Boxer or 456 GT (big difference, I know). I'm OK with keeping the C4 for a while. As an earlier car, it's been a good learning experience...minimal computers, relatively simple mechanisms, although somewhat difficult to access in some cases.

I would not buy a second C4, but that's because I have one, so my opinion is biased. If I were buying another Ferrari, it would have to be something different, just for diversity!

However, if I were looking again for a C4, I would look harder for a well-sorted out car and pay the extra. I had to replace the Dinoplexes. I just had the starter motor rebuilt and I am hoping that will make it easier to start. That's for Sunday.

The C4 has the best 2+2 lines of all the earlier models; although the 365 GT 2+2 is close. Of the later 2+2 models, the 456 is nice and I like the 612 Scaglietti as well.

Wayne Ausbrooks pointed out an interesting perspective...that the C4, while a 4-seater, is the 4-cam successor to the 365 GTC, not to the 365 GT 2+2. The successor to the latter is the 365 GT4 2+2.

Attached is my standard pitch on the C4.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    I checked out the shifter in my P4. It's different than I thought. Basically you have to go from 1 to 2 to 3 but then you can skip gears. On the way down you can go from 5 to 3 but you can't go lower than that without going in order. The sequential lock out prevents 5 to 2 or 5 to 1 or any gear above 3 from going down lower than 3.

3. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Jimmy, that is aweseome, where did you get that gate? Do they offer gates for 5 speeds?

4. ryder

ryder Karting

Nov 19, 2003
    There is a Jamaroquai song with it at the begining, I have the CD, so I'll find it for you. Damn these sound effects, I'm logging off, need a drive!!!

5. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

The Porsche 914 is actually a fantastic car. No, it's not fast. No, it's not pretty. But dang, it's perfectly balanced. I had a 1.7 liter in high school, and it was routinely trounced by muscle cars. BUT, take it into a twisty road (say, 94 along the Missouri river to Herman MO), and you'll have a great time.

Yes, it's a 5-speed with "R" in the upper left.

-Daniel

6. kenster888

kenster888 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Massachusetts
    #56 kenster888, Mar 15, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. RSraddo

RSraddo Karting

Feb 11, 2004
    Battle Creek, MI
    Full Name:
    Kyle Davidson
    YES sorry guys I wrote the 914 wrong damn typos! Now that you mention the motorsport aspect I want to say I remember that. As 1st is a pretty worthless track gear. Thanks for the responses guys and sorry for the 914 typo! BTW Yes I LOVED the car itself, my dad had a Turbo 2liter '74. Was a blast to drive and the car was the epitome of balance :)

Kyle

8. RSraddo

RSraddo Karting

Feb 11, 2004
    Battle Creek, MI
    Full Name:
    Kyle Davidson
  9. belhiller04

belhiller04 Rookie

Mar 14, 2004
    For those of you wondering about the Jamaroquai song......

Jay Kay, the lead singer of Jamaroquai, recorded the sound effects with a tape recorder while driving his Aston Martin. It is in the liner notes....

He is a car nut, that Jay Kay

B

10. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

That's incorrect. I just checked the liner notes and it says
    "DIABLO SE30 driven by Jay"

I KNEW IT WAS A DIABLO!!!!! Damn I'm good. :D

11. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    OK, I give up, where does one get a shift lock like that? I assume they make one that fits the 328............

12. kenster888

kenster888 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Massachusetts
    http://www.hill-engineering.co.uk