Exspensive Weekend | Page 9 | FerrariChat

Exspensive Weekend

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by willtel, Oct 10, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 512dreamer

512dreamer Formula Junior

May 1, 2007
    Collin Co.
    Full Name:
    Rick
  2. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
  3. richardowen

richardowen Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
  4. michael platzer

michael platzer F1 Veteran

Nov 12, 2003
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Michael Platzer
  5. 512dreamer

512dreamer Formula Junior

May 1, 2007
    Collin Co.
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I believe it was 2001, around October or Setember. I could be wrong though.

6. richardowen

richardowen Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    #206 richardowen, Oct 20, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. jason bodington

jason bodington Karting

Jun 11, 2007
    wales
    Full Name:
    jason bodington
    each entrant knows the risks of racing before they enter into the event. whether the car is worth 20,000,000 or 20,000 it is irrelevant! it is solely down to the value that the owner holds for it. many of the cars you see raced at these events are not owned for invesment sake, they are owned for the sheer enjoyment they bring. this year i was fortunate enough to be at the goodwood revival. during one of the friday morning sessions, a car burst into flames, it basically burnt to the ground. (it was not a ferrari.) i dont have my programme so cannot state the car but i believe the driver was australian. as you can imagine it was soul destroying to all those around, and especially the driver. but cars can be rebuilt! and im sure we will see that car again being raced just as hard as it was that day.
    its my understanding that in the states there are stricter regulations for classic car racing. i understand their point of view but i hope that in europe we dont follow those same regulations. these cars were built to race and i hope that there owners will race them in the same way in which they were raced when they were new!
    As for the modifications of cars thoughout the years. these modifications are not all done recently. after many cars were raced at events such as lemans they were then modified to race in smaller events such as hill climbs! this happened all over europe with all kinds of cars. it would be wrong to change this, it is part of each cars history

8. mx906

mx906 Rookie

Jan 11, 2007
    #208 mx906, Oct 21, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XYEYSC05_s

The unfortunate truth is that many (if not most) old race cars have suffered similar fates. What's different today, other than old race cars having become something more than just "old race cars," is that the incident gets posted on YouTube. Most incidents like these have long been forgotten and are now well hidden under many layers of restoration (or reconstruction). IMHO, it would be too high a price to pay if these cars stopped racing. They look great in photos but there's nothing more spectacular than, for example, watching Peter Giddings power-slide his Alfa P3. Still, as the list of truly original cars gets shorter and shorter, it's sad to be reminded that it's getting harder to know what's real and what isn't.

Jerry

9. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Again you have missed our point.

We do NOT want to stop them racing, we want people to stop risking all for the win, taking unnecessary risks through stupid driving.

If they were not so hell bent on winning (which really does not matter a fnck) then the modern modifications would also stop.
    Pete