Extended CF paddles adjustment | FerrariChat

Extended CF paddles adjustment

Discussion in '360/430' started by Ghostdiver, May 24, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    Just picked up a set of extended CF paddles for my car. The brand is not known to me or the seller, but they appear to be a quality item. The issue came when I installed them. The distance from the steering wheel to the paddles is not the same between the two.

On the down paddle, there is enough room for me to wrap my fingers around the steering wheel, however, on the upshift, I cannot do that. In fact, to upshift, I have to move all my fingers from the backside of the wheel to allow enough clearance to shift. The paddles are parallel to the wheel for the most part but I cannot place my fingers around the wheel like before.

Just for clarification, I don't have giant monkey paws....

Is this the way they are supposed to be? If not, anyone have any thoughts before I start grinding on one....

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. cpep

cpep Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    new york
    Full Name:
    CHARLIE
    If your sure they are both in the notches correctly then I guess you need to pull the one in question off and compare the shape to the stock one. Or take both off and compare them. It may be curved too much. Mine are pretty equal but maybe not exactly the same.

Ghostdiver likes this.
  3. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    Pulled the suspect paddle off and checked it against the factory one. Angles appear to be the same--just eyeballing them. Of course the paddles are longer so any minute difference in the mounting angle would be magnified by that. Took HVAC metal duct tape and formed a spacer/gasket so to speak that changed the angle just enough to even them up.

Duct tape on a Ferrari.....damn! Next up is a Confederate flag on the roof and a push bar on the nose.....

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    360 and F430 paddles are angled
    differently
    and F430 paddles would be too close to the steering wheel on a 360 (or 575M). You may have an F430 set.

5. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    Thought about that but the downshift paddle is at the same angle as the wheel and spacing from the wheel seems consistent along the length

6. Carbonio

Carbonio Formula 3

Dec 1, 2009
    I can't make out the brand from the image either but shift paddles should be a straight bolt on procedure with no 'fitting' of any kind. That said where the paddle mounts to the steering column there is a metal base that fits into a recess on the carbon paddle. This is a pretty accurate area and we have seen paddles from other manufacturers where that area pools resin or clear coat during manufacturing not allowing for an accurate fit. If you managed to 'correct it' with a little duct tape spacer then your answer appears to lie in that area. It may be necessary to tidy up the inner edges of the recess in the paddle to allow for a proper flat installation. I hope this helps.

fc2 and Ghostdiver like this.
  7. autowerks9

autowerks9 Formula 3
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2009
    North Wales, Pa.
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Not sure about the possibility of return to the supplier. I have adjusted a few sets for clients in the past with "Monkey" fingers to allow for clearance. The process would be adjusting the material on the mounting flange side. I have a small jig i created to check them. that simulates the plate.

If you would like to send them to me and give me the idea of the distance that is comfortable. I can adjust them for you.

David

fc2, f355spider and Ghostdiver like this.
  8. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    The area showed no pooling in the mounting area, and the edges were clearly defined where the paddle fits against the metal base. However, you know as well as I do, when you extend the length of a lever, any slight change in the pivot point is amplified on the other end. The recessed area is still present as I only applied about three strips of the aluminum foil tape which might measure out to a 1/32 of an inch. That small amount correct the 1/4 issue on the other end. So, I can only surmise that even though there is no pooling and the edges are sharp, there may be an excess amount of resin in the area. I may get bored later and pull the paddles and mic them just for my satisfaction.

9. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    David,

Thanks for that. I may take you up on this as I really don't like temporary solutions such as this.

10. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    Ghostdiver where did you buy your carbon fiber paddles from on Ebay ? They maybe my old set I gave to a friend he sells allot of stuff on Ebay if so they are Rtune. I used them for one day and pulled them back off they felt clumsiness to me

11. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    A waste of money and time

12. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    No, I didn't get them off ebay. Got them here out of the classifieds. He wasn't sure the brand because they were given to him. Haven't seen the RTuned paddles in person but in the pics I've seen, the extended parts look thicker than these. These look closer to Carbonio where the connection is thinner.