Extended Forecast: Rain, Rain, and uhh...Rain | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Extended Forecast: Rain, Rain, and uhh...Rain

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by ghost, Apr 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Schultzois

Schultzois Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2004
    Will be at Rene's Q, but not out for the run to CC.

2. Black355

Black355 F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Emil
    FWERRFF!

3. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Damn! Is Lupe still around?
    -----------------------------------

Heavy rain pounds East coast
    Hundreds evacuated

(AP) -- A foot or more of rain fell in parts of the Northeast, forcing hundreds from their homes, rupturing small dams and slowing Amtrak trains to a walk.

No injuries had been reported in the stricken areas of New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Maryland, but at least one woman had a harrowing rescue.

Tammy Spiese was trying to clear debris on her property near Reading, Pennsylvania, when rising water carried her into a drainage pipe. She had to be pulled out by her husband and a police officer.

"I was in the water up to my neck," Spiese said. "It was very powerful and I had to hold onto the rocks above."

South-central New Jersey was hardest hit with at least five small dams rupturing during the night, said Kevin Tuno, the Burlington County emergency management coordinator. Many of the dams in the area hold small reservoirs in low-lying residential areas.

"We have a lot of houses and vehicles that were damaged," Tuno said Tuesday.

The heaviest rainfall in Burlington County was about 13 inches at Tabernacle, the National Weather Service said.

More than 500 county residents were evacuated from their homes and from the roofs of cars stalled on flooded roads.

"First they started with one family and then another family and then it rapidly escalated," Tuno said.

Parts of northeastern Maryland got up to 8 inches of rain that flooded streets and basements Monday, and some motorists had to be rescued when their cars stalled in deep water, officials said. Most of the water had subsided by Tuesday morning and major roads were reopened, said Harford County official Ernie Crist.

At least 15 Amtrak passenger trains were delayed Monday evening in Maryland, said spokesman Daniel Stessel. Water flowing over the tracks in many places forced north- and southbound trains to slow to just 2 mph, or walking speed, he said.

An estimated 6 inches of rain fell in eastern Pennsylvania's Berks County, where firefighters used a boat to rescue three people and a dog trapped in two homes by Manatawny Creek, which rose about 4 feet in minutes.

Water and mud rushed into a bowling alley Monday at Pottsville in eastern Pennsylvania after a sodden embankment behind the building collapsed, and custodian John Bova and his wife hurried to open doors to let the flood out. Then they shut off the electricity and fled, he said.

"The mountain just came down," Bova said. "We were lucky to get out."

4. noahlh

noahlh Formula 3

Aug 28, 2003
    NYC, NY
    Full Name:
    Noah
  5. RANTANESIAN

RANTANESIAN Formula Junior

Jun 18, 2004
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Rene Antanesian
  6. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    bad weather....more likely to stay inside and do da nasty!!

7. RANTANESIAN

RANTANESIAN Formula Junior

Jun 18, 2004
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Rene Antanesian
    Bad weather layin pipe!
    good weather laying pipe!
    i guess just layin pipe!

8. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Damn!

---------------

High winds, hail slam Midwest
    Wind gusts up to 80 mph

(AP) -- Thousands of homes and businesses had no electricity Wednesday in the path of a long line of thunderstorms that stretched from Tennessee to the Great Lakes. Wind gusted to 80 mph in Kentucky and Tennessee on Tuesday, and hail stones as big as softballs were reported in parts of Illinois, the National Weather Service said.

As the storms passed through central Illinois, a tornado leveled a manufacturing plant Tuesday at Roanoke and roofs were blown off several houses, officials said.

Workers at Parsons Manufacturing plant in Roanoke, about 20 miles east of Peoria, went to storm shelters before the twister struck. "The sound was so intense you had to hold your ears shut," office worker Dave McClallen said. Utilities around Kentucky reported about 254,000 homes and businesses lost power during the storms, including 115,000 in the Louisville metropolitan area, the most there since a 1974 tornado.

Traffic lights remained out Wednesday in much of Louisville. Chip Keeling, a spokesman for Louisville Gas & Electric, said power had been restored to about 40,000 customers by Wednesday morning but some might remain in the dark for an extended period. About 60,000 customers were blacked out in central Tennessee, but service had been restored to about half of them by dawn Wednesday, Nashville Electric Service reported.

Some 51,000 customers were still without power Wednesday morning in Indiana, down from a high of up to 136,000 during the storms, said Cinergy-PSI spokeswoman Angeline Protogere. Some might have to wait until Thursday for the lights to go on again, she said. One man was killed in Indiana when a tractor tipped over on him while he cleaned up storm debris, officials said.

Utilities said at least 10,000 customers lost power in Michigan. Funnel clouds were spotted in Wisconsin near Manitowoc and Clarks Mills. One touched down near Clarks Mills, damaging farm homes and other rural buildings, said Manitowoc County Sheriff's Sgt. Andrew Colborn.

9. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Holy ****. Can see the storm from my window, and it's moving rapidly from Jersey. Looks like it's gonna get ugly!

10. Ed P.

Ed P. Formula 3

Dec 28, 2002
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    No Longer
    Really? It's beautiful out here right now. I guess the calm before the storm...

11. Schultzois

Schultzois Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2004
    I've been seeing some pretty big flashes across the river (followed by some loud tonnerre), and can no longer actually see new jersey... just rain and cloud as far as the eye can see.

on a positive note, looks like one of those intense storms that should shake things up for a few hours then leave us with a potentially clear day by tomorrow.

radar: http://www.weather.com/weather/map/USNJ0134?from=LAPmaps&name=index_large_animated&day=1

(yes, ed, you can feel free to say it - another balanced "glass half full" post from me, in the face of vik's no-nonsense report of the bad side)

12. Black355

Black355 F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Emil
    I hope I can get a cab to Rene's in this rain!

13. JC360

JC360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    NYC...and soon WC 2
    Full Name:
    Jon C.
    this saturday looks like its gonna be real nice.
    sunday - all next week looks pretty bad.

anyone seen brad/emil/vik/rene/the entire EC pLAya Crew?
    is everyone just to busy laying pipe and making $$ to post?

wwhhatt iiiisss ggooinnnng ddowowwnn my EC pLayAS?!

14. udalmia

udalmia Guest

i think everyone is just extremely busy with work (brad is vacationing)

emil hasnt logged on for a LONG time now!

15. 993 guy

993 guy F1 Rookie

May 21, 2004
    Bergen County NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric D
    Emil's on the road, so he may have his hands full. Don't know about the rest of the crew...WHERE IS EVERYBODY??!! ;-)

16. DodgeViper01

DodgeViper01 F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2003
    Great weather we are having.

17. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Heard it's gonna get pretty ugly tomorrow. :(

Stay safe.

18. DodgeViper01

DodgeViper01 F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2003
    Yes I heard. Thanks for the concern Vik. I will be off the road most of the day.

19. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy

Latest forcast....rain ending late in the morning with partial clearing.
    Lesson Learned: Safest bet? Bet against the weather people!

If it clears, do I hear a run today?

20. 993 guy

993 guy F1 Rookie

May 21, 2004
    Bergen County NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric D
    I may be in for that if it's local.

21. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Yo does this weather suck, or what. No sign of abating in the City.

22. udalmia

udalmia Guest

its not that bad here hasnt rained much since morning

23. JC360

JC360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    NYC...and soon WC 2
    Full Name:
    Jon C.
    no rain in edgewater this morning-afternoon.
    a little drizzle in the city.

24. DodgeViper01

DodgeViper01 F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2003
    Yeah hopefully the rain will hold off for today for a party I am going to. I would hate to have the party rained out.

25. udalmia

udalmia Guest

yo jc you were in edgewater? damn bro thats like 5 mins from me, hit me up when you headin this side!