Extended warranty vs. leaking shocks | FerrariChat

Extended warranty vs. leaking shocks

Discussion in 'McLarenChat.com' started by KenJ, Mar 13, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KenJ

KenJ Rookie

Nov 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    KJ
    I picked up a 2017 570GT at the end of 2017 with about 3,000 miles. Love the car. Fast forward - the first annual service was fine. This year before it went in, I noticed the driver-rear and passenger-front shocks are leaking. Car hasn’t been tracked or even driven hard (maybe it has 5,500 miles now). McLaren said they’ll replace the two shocks under warranty. I asked why not the other two (as an engineer, my sense is there’s maybe something up with the batch and I’d think they’d do shocks in pairs). They said they only replace what’s failed. Warranty will be up later this summer and they want me to buy a 1 or 2 year extension (quote seems high for what others here have posted). I feel like I’m getting hosed to either buy the extended warranty or end up buying the two shocks when they eventually go.

I knew this wasn’t a “cheap” car to operate, but anyone have a similar experience or experience dealing with McLaren (corporate) maybe?

Anyone have any experience as to how higher mileage 570 hold up? My sense was the gearbox issues were better sorted than the MP4-12C and less complicated suspension - would mean a more reasonably reliable model.

Seriously thinking to unload it when the new 911 Turbo is available :-(

2. Booker

Booker Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Miami 2018

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
    Sorry I don't have experience with this, but would it not make sense that if your shocks were not leaking when the others were replaced, and they are not leaking now, then you might not run into the issue again or not soon at least? Have you checked them recently? I would personally get the warranty as it obviously covers more than shocks. Lastly, have you tried negotiating the warranty, especially if you think the quote is high? Wish I had more direct experience here but just some thoughts

3. KenJ

KenJ Rookie

Nov 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    KJ
    Thanks Booker. Yeah, I just got the car back and they replaced the 2 shocks that were leaking and replaced the passenger airbag (recall). I decided to take another year of warranty. If the other 2 shocks that they DIDN'T replace go bad, it'll pay just on that job ... I was just a little miffed that they didn't just replace all the shocks. Odd to have one front and one rear go bad in 5,000 miles ...