EZ Power Steering | FerrariChat

EZ Power Steering

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Chuck Taylor, Feb 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chuck Taylor

Chuck Taylor Rookie

Dec 9, 2005
    Finally at a point in life where I am considering a Daytona. I am 70+ and have a problem with my left shoulder, so I am concerned about the effort required for low-speed steering. Looking at the EZ electric power steering solution, which seems well-thought out. Can anyone comment on their experience with this product?

Thanks,

CT

2. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #2 miurasv, Feb 19, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    It would be better if you posted this thread in the vintage section where Daytonas are discussed, or perhaps a moderator could move it for you.

Also read here and here.

3. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    Hello Chuck,

I don't want to speak out of turn but you may want to give serious consideration to the 365 GTC/4.
    While I don't have direct experience driving either one, I have heard again and again people extol the virtues of the 'C/4'.
    Specifically, I've heard people address favorably the ease of steering the C/4 at low speed, for parking, etc.
    People have written in these forums that there is no better V-12 sound than the C/4 on song.
    Pound for pound I think prices of comparable cars would see the C/4 at 50 to 60 cents on the Daytona dollar.
    For those on the fence about the black bumper contrasting with the body color, someone posted an example where the front bumper had been painted body color and it did have a dramatic effect.
    Anyhow, I don't mean to hijack your thread. Just something to consider. Good luck with your search(!).

Dave

SCantera and Nembo1777 like this.
  4. Italian Tuneup

Italian Tuneup Karting

Apr 16, 2019
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Stefan
    I have it in my Daytona and I love it.

quoting myself:

Tom Hartley Jr. was also convinced by a test drive. Skip to the end of this video about the Daytona he just sold.

5. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    I have EZ power steering on My Daytona and like it a lot, it makes it possible to do rally like the NE 1000 which is between small towns and little roads, W?O PS you will be worn out at the end of the day. In Montana it isn't needed of course.
    I too have a torn rotator cuff which means I have less than perfect power in my left arm, the PS compensates for this.
    I also put it in my Ghibli, and like it there too.
    I dont understand the long debates about it that we have had on F/C. If you like it it is inexpensive, if you dont like it you can remove it. It also can be adjusted to not provide boost at road speeds so the car drives the same as it would without it. Best of both worlds.
    Malcolm

Bowzer, SCantera and Nembo1777 like this.
  6. 1monza

1monza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 11, 2005
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Norbert Hofer
    I've installed a couple of these EZ power steering units in the Daytona. Totally transforms the car. Its very impressive, almost makes the car enjoyable to drive slow. It can also be easily removed and put back to its original configuration if wanted.

Bowzer likes this.
  7. westextifosi

westextifosi Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 20, 2009
    Lubbock, TX
    Full Name:
    Tex Timberlake

Nembo1777 likes this.
  8. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    Hi Tex, ...plus we can park without planning ahead 20 minutes.

9. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Not an exaggeration. In the 1970s I watched a Swiss Daytona owner attempt to parallel park on the street in Monaco. It took him a good 10 minutes.

10. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Time for driving school ? :rolleyes:

11. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    My Dad had EZ power steering installed on his Spyder conversion. While the install was straight forward it took quite a lot of setting up so that the steering felt right. Initially it had a really big dead spot around the straight ahead. It was right eventually but to me always felt like it was a modern modification added to an old car.

12. JogDog78

JogDog78 Rookie

Feb 28, 2014
    Cincinnati, OH
    Full Name:
    Pete Zink
    I installed the EZ power steering on my 512TR because my wife could not get the car out of the garage and down the driveway. Support from the manufacturer was outstanding. Have to admit I like the ease of low speed maneuvering now as well. Higher speeds feel normal and no dead spots noted either.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  13. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Maybe i should look into this for my Daytona. Please link a website that you would recommend and also, I would LOVE to hear some pros and cons about doing it.

14. Italian Tuneup

Italian Tuneup Karting

Apr 16, 2019
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Stefan
    That sounds strange. What did you set up? Because there's actually no possibility of adjusting the EZ power steering.

15. Marcus 27

Marcus 27 Karting

Feb 3, 2004
    I thought that to install EZ Steer you have to cut the steering column in half so it can then be welded back together with a gear wheel inserted (the motor acts on the gear wheel). Correct me if that's wrong, but if not it seems like it would be quite a major job to return it to the original specification. Well, unless replacement steering columns are easily available for Daytonas.

16. calder1

calder1 F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 26, 2006
    Redondo Beach
    Full Name:
    Craig
    I’ve installed this system in a number of Ferrari’s now , very impressive

17. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    speaking for my experience only, this is not correct. The EZ kit includes a replacement steering column. you can wrap the original column in gold foil and put it in your vault for the next owner. The install takes about two hours. Maybe three including study time and espresso time.

miurasv likes this.
  18. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    From the EZ web site for the Ferrari Daytona: This beautiful, fast Ferrari steers delightfully at the high speeds for which it was desgned. Unfortunately the Daytona steers very heavy at low speeds which makes driving through hairpins hard work (in the famous words of Enzo "If the steering is too heavy, you are not driving fast enough". The EZ Electric Power Steering conversion for the Ferrari Daytona 365 GTB/4 solves this problem and makes the car easier to drive in the city. The speed sensitive system ensures that the steering "feel" at speed remains the same. A completely new intermediate steering column with integrated electric power steering replaces the original steering column, therefore the conversion is reversible.

EZ Power Steering system for Ferrari Daytona see here.

19. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #19 miurasv, Feb 24, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
    I'm posting the video below not because it demonstrates the EZ Electric Power Steering system to any good effect, but because the 2 Daytonas look absolutely gorgeous in it.

readplays likes this.
  20. Marcus 27

Marcus 27 Karting

Feb 3, 2004
    That's good. I wasn't aware of that, because I've never looked into it for a Ferrari. I see they also provide replacement columns for other (older) Ferrari models, but I checked a few other marques on their website (Aston, Jaguar, Rolls, Bentley) and couldn't find any other cars they do this for.

No doubt the replacement column makes the kit much more expensive but substantially reduces the labour for fitting. How much does the Daytona system cost?

21. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    The OP seems to have lost interest since posting.

22. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    While I don't think Daytonas were really designed for or intended to be driven "slow", I've never felt any of them un-enjoyable at any speed, even without power assisted steering.
    Then again, being someone who enjoys driving all sorts of vintage cars, what do I know. :rolleyes:

23. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    I was hugely impressed by this system not in a Ferrari but in a Maserati Quattroporte I (mid sixties version). I did not drive the car, it was parked in a Salzburg Austria dealership where I was inspecting another Maserati for a client. The dealer said try turning the wheel: very hard. Then he switched the ignition on and I could twirl it with a finger: fantastic. many classic cars such as Tructktonas sorry Daytonas have steering that is far too heavy in town and to say that these steering assist systems are tantamount to sacrilege is short sighted when you consider the older drivers or less muscular men or ladies who would still want to enjoy their cars. Considering it can all be removed without leaving a trace I am 1000% for it. Of course on the other hand if you only use your car on lawns to collect silverware...

JCR and AtSomePoint like this.
  24. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    I beg to differ. “Trucktonas”(?) and most of their period GT brethren weren’t really designed or intended for “in town” driving, be it for a night at dinner & opera, short am trips to coffee & bagels or from/to transporter parking to display lawns for that silverware or glamour shots for glossy print.

I admittedly don’t have a luxury to use a “Trucktona”(?) or similar vintage Grand Touring car(s) for daily commuting in congested metropolitan traffic where power assisted steering might be beneficial, but even if I did, I wouldn’t reduce such magnificent machinery for that kind of existence, even if add-on power steering made the effort somehow easier or tolerable.

And again, while I’ve driven a large variety of vintage cars for only few hundred thousands miles in past 40 years, with only couple of exceptions*, very small percentage of those miles have been accumulated in participation of aforementioned activities.

* Back in the late-‘80s and early-‘90s I used couple of ‘50s convertibles quite extensively and almost exclusively as DDs.

readplays likes this.
  25. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Yes I coined the nickname because they are REALLY heavy of steering and notoriously so in town -I have done several hundred miles in various Daytonas- and for most trips even to go drive flat out on a trip or a sunday morning drive you still need to go through urban areas (most people do anyway). FYI if I had the money I would drive on track not to cars and coffee thank you: I'll take the track over a concours any day. Anyway I would take a 365GTC/4 over a daytona any day, much more usable unless it was to do vintage racing in a daytona Gr4. Other than that to each his own:)

-K1- and readplays like this.