F-35: What the pilots say... | FerrariChat

F-35: What the pilots say...

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by NYC Fred, Apr 1, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
  2. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    very interesting, seems like its an aircraft like no other. Interesting that they take youngesters from flight training to this aircraft, makes sense as the thought process is so different to what came before.

I can also see why we need those F15's. If the F35 is air defense supression as seems to be the main mission trained for, we still need bonmb trucks(f15)

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    F-35s will be at least triple DOC, with SEAD, defensive counter air, and offensive counter air capability depending on theater requirements. Plus by the 2020s, they will be nuclear strike capable, so quad DOC. Not all F-35 units may do all four, or none may, just like the F-16s were usually limited to three or less.

Boomhauer likes this.
  4. Jacob Potts

Jacob Potts Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2008
    Pueblo, CO
    Full Name:
    Jacob Potts
    Super article, thanks!

5. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    ((FF-35s will be at least triple DOC,-35s will be at least triple DOC, with SEAD...))

OK, I'll bite.

WTF are "triple DOC" and "SEAD"?

Acronyms. SMDH

6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    designed operational capability and suppression of enemy air defenses

NeuroBeaker likes this.
  7. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    Thank you, sir.

8. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Just curious, what enemy would that be?

9. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Many years ago I was channel surfing on a lazy Sunday afternoon and stopped on one of those C-SPAN defense news shows. There were a couple of defense nerds arguing about whether or not the U.S. should invest a bunch of money in the F-35 or if the F-16s and F-18s were good enough. The Yes We Need New Planes guy was arguing that we definitely need new planes because all of our enemies have F-16s and F-18s. It felt like deleted scene from Dr. Strangelove as written by Dwight Eisenhower.

Texas Forever likes this.
  10. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Well that is somewhat of an unknown. In the 80's who would have ever thought we would be fighting in the Middle East? The F-35 would take on the mission of what the F-117 did in desert storm. Just like in desert storm the F-35 would clear the way for the F-15/16/18 to do their jobs. Just like the advanced F-117 cleared the way for the older F-4s.

11. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    It is my understanding this weapon is meant to fight against other advanced technologies, i.e., Russia, China and so on. Said another way, it is designed to fight the last war. Cyber warfare or economic warfare are not part of the portfolio.

12. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    While I think a number of our recent interventions have been dumb it seems to me that was the common opinion in 1919 too. Too many crazy people with power in the world to actually think we don't need actual guns.

13. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Reasonable people can disagree. The future of warfare will be economic, cyber, and eventually space. The days of tanks rolling across the border are gone.

14. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Pretty sure we've heard that before.

Hannibal308, Boomhauer and Ryan S. like this.
  15. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Frankly, these are billion dollar weapon systems, all in. So who else in the world has anything even close? It is my understanding that our analysis of the Russian planes during the recent Syrian dust up showed they were still in 1990s Desert Storm mode, i.e., junk. So the question becomes does it make sense to spend $25 billion for a squadron of these planes, or should we use that money somewhere else, e.g., cyber?

Finally, without getting P&R - that $25 billion? It is all borrowed money.

16. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Borrowed because we are too stupid to spend tax money on things the Federal government is responsible for. It is not responsible for supporting corrupt foreign leaders or feeding and housing the worthless and the illegals and that is just a start. Let me be in charge of the budget and we'll lower taxed and have a surplus.

Ryan S. and Texas Forever like this.
  17. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    You have my vote!

18. westextifosi

westextifosi Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 20, 2009
    Lubbock, TX
    Full Name:
    Tex Timberlake

Brian, we could probably get you elected up here in Lubbock, but I am not too sure about Austin.

19. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    I love the fact that there are real experts here so honest question from a person largely uninformed on the details of these things, but what were the jobs these planes were doing that couldn't be completed by other means now? It seems to me that we could flood the skies with tens of thousands of drones for less than what we're spending on a couple hundred modern planes while accomplishing similar objectives and not putting American lives at risk. If the objective is to blow up some buildings or drop bombs on a group of ISIS guys attacking our troops, do you need to send in a $100m plane or could a few $4m drones drop the same bombs? Are we still getting involved in Sopwith vs. Fokker style dogfights? To Rifledriver's point, I think the argument these days isn't that we don't need guns, but more along the lines of which guns are still useful.

Also it seems that an unfortunate Japanese pilot dropped an F-35 into the ocean so now the plot of For Your Eyes Only is a real thing. If the Russians get to it first, our better-than-everyone-else plane could come unraveled and we'll hear more arguments as to why we need to build something new to stay ahead of everyone else.

Texas Forever likes this.
  20. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Killing people with drones is a PR nightmare. For some reason it makes people alot happier if we drop bombs from manned vehicles rather than from drones.

Losing pilots is also awful though, so we spend a fortune to reduce losses further and further. We lost 3 F-16s in the gulf war, so we are spending a $25 billion to reduce that number hopefully to 0. As we get closer and closer to 0 though, it gets more and more expensive.

The US DoD is well aware of the changing roll of the battlefield. They now consider their to be 5 zones of combat, Air, Sea, Ground, Cyber, and Space. All of these are important, and will continue to be.

21. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    There won’t be a last war. War will go on forever.......some will be tech wars and others will be bloody wars...some big, some small....

Boomhauer likes this.
  22. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Sure there will. Hiram Maxim said so when he invented the machine gun.

Ryan S. and INRange like this.