F being heavy-handed or protecting TM | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F being heavy-handed or protecting TM

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ferrariartist, Jan 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. miked

miked Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    It sounds like the Ferrari "marketing dept." has been to a few too many FCA "drive and dine" events.

2. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    You say that like it's a bad thing. Don't you see? No skirt, slacks, panties, bras, nothin'!

3. sindo308qv

sindo308qv F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    miami.fl.
    Full Name:
    sindo
    Paul, I already know the Italian anthem by heart from all the races we've won!LOL!

4. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie

5. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    I need to attach the appropriate Rush audio clip here. ;)

6. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    I was just refused entry at my dealership because I didn't know the secret handshake ! Brand protection is one thing but this is getting out of hand. I was, however, able to gain entrance through the service department by using my decoder ring . :)

Tom

7. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I told 'em I had $32 each for my door handle grommets, and they let me in!

8. notoboy

notoboy F1 Rookie

Jul 8, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    David
    I work with beaurocratic Italians often, and they don't seem to understand the rest of the world, and most especially people in the US who don't stand for people "mandating" anything when freedom of choice is at the core of our culture.

That said, Ferrari needs to understand their clients a little more. If they supply (FREE or at a GREAT discount) the letterhead, cards, etc, thats a great idea to help the sometimes struggling clubs. Otherwise, none of it will fly, especailly when they try to throw in a dress code.

My opinion: Hire a real marketing company!

DN

9. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    maybe I'm being paranoid, but is this whole "Ferrari control of the clubs" possibly a first step in a nefarious plan to get a lot more revenue out of existing clients? and not just for blazers?

I ask this because the official Owner's website has started a "Certificate of Authenticity" program for vintage owners where, in order to participate in any official, Ferrari SpA-sanctioned vintage events, your car has to have this certificate. I've heard that Ferrari charges on the order of $500 for the privilege of getting the certificate; and it's a pain in the ass to get. Go to the "Classiche" section of the site for more details - the certification process is 'available' to owners of GT cars over 20 years old and the program takes effect starting Jan 1, 2004.

Right now, this doesn't affect too many of us unless you're campaigning a car in the Shell Historics. But wouldn't the next step be to impose this on all of the members of the clubs that, under the scenario that Ferrari envisions, Ferrari would now control? and then to impose these various certificate requirements on the Owners of the newer cars? If the FCA accepts this Ferrari-control plan, it's possible that the Owner of any car made before 1984 would have to get this Certificate in order to show and drive at the next FCA National. (OR we could all just show up at Rob's house. . . . DES monitoring the kegs out back . . . it's a beautiful picture, really)

Of course, we know that such a plan would end in abject failure; we'd tell the clubs to piss off. But it's entirely likely that the same marketing whizzes that proposed 'uniforms' wouldn't understand that such a plan would be doomed.

10. flashman

flashman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    Star Valley, Arizona
    Full Name:
    William Rappaport
    They can't be serious about this...........can they?

11. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    Ok, I can understand the need for uniform circular logos across all clubs, but requiring clubs to purchase stationary, envelopes, etc. direct from Ferrari is a bit absurd. You've got to be kidding me. Ferrari is going a bit beserk with their whole licensing scheme. They ought to think again, after all, they should feel privileged to have so many international members. And the attire? I think not.

12. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I'm curious why some of you are posting that you will now not join the FCA over this....this is not any club's doing, it is Ferrari SPA. In fact, joining the club, will give you the voice to veto this action. So I encourage all of you to join if you have been "on the fence" and if you don't like this action by Ferrari, speak up! And if you do like it, then again, speak up to your board members.

Dave

13. F40

F40 F1 Rookie

Apr 16, 2003
    AZ
    Why no circle thing for Canada?

14. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    Since I do not wear shirts and ties I guess I will never see any formal club event ever again. No grey trousers for me either and I can see the argument I will be having if I want to get my wife into their prescribed "uniform".
    As a non-conformist I guess my membership dues will NOT be renewed if this takes effect.

Just the fact that they want to control the clubs means that all independence will be lost. The reason why the FCA for example was created in the first place. They have come too cosy with FNA so the FOC has been created.

I will guarantee you all The Miami Squids will never conform :)