f car newb... picking up 360 modena this weekend | Page 7 | FerrariChat

f car newb... picking up 360 modena this weekend

Discussion in '360/430' started by one4torque, Jun 3, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fotostars

fotostars Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Bay Area
    If the car was stored with battery disconnected for a long period of time, the alarm battery got totally drained and they usually don't survive that :-( Old tech... After a few charge cycle, they just give up!
    Report back after replacement to confirm it was the issue, 99% chance it is...

2. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Foto- the real challenge is the siren cont chirping upon alm set is intermittent.

It stopped yest.. then last same thing.

I’ve inst new remote fob batts, reclosed all doors lids, restarted lock unlock seq.. and same thing.

So new siren on order.. 358 from online dis of auth f parts. Will report results.

In mean time I just lock the door w key now at work.

3. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
  4. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    RANDY6005 likes this.
  5. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Next challenge - coolant low... noticed coolant cap weeping when hot..... new cap on order, and some glycol based fluid en-route.
    Reminds me of my 99 m3 project car..... had to work out little bugs for 6 mos' before I 'paid my car gods dues', and have since had 5k miles of care-free utilization....... time to pay the italian gods.

Ryan... likes this.
  6. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Projects complete today:
    1) top off coolant, test drive 2 days..... no drop in level. Suspect was just not fully filled after new water pump. new cap coming just for good measure.
    2) my shifting was getting more diff, would not go into 2nd under accel...… so I installed the hill eng al shift bushing. I was concerned when I pulled the orig plastic unit out and saw it was in tact...… but I'm delighted with the result. The shifter is very tight... all pre-loaded against the springs. No slop. And the shifts are now good in all conditions. it's not m3 like.... it's just better, and I can go into gear now. I put my $19.99 Chinese caliper on the plastic part - the orig thickness at the base are 3mm.... and in the center worn down to 2.94mm...….. so that is .12mm on each fork..... so that is .24mm total sloppage if my math is right.... apparently that is enough to cause problems.

on deck -
    new siren, will do that tomorrow.

Going to be 104 here tomorrow..... so laying low..... and only driving in the wee am hours for coffee. !

espvh and RANDY6005 like this.
  7. Mtbguy

Mtbguy Rookie

Jul 23, 2018
    Full Name:
    Rick Bensyl
    Hi there,
    I love your new car. I have always been a Porsche guy but now considering a 360. I also am looking at one at Empire Motors in Dallas. If I get further along may want to find out more about who you used for a PPI.
    Congrats!

Rick

8. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I keep a stock of those coolant caps because they are crap. You can get them from carrier for around 10 bucks.

9. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Mtb- I used Norwood in Dallas for ppi. Petty legit f car race car builders.
    I saw that f1 360 at empire. It is clean. Do your due diligence. Empire is just a middle man for consignment at least in my case.

10. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Red- thx for advice. Learning the 360 tricks and tips.

11. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Batteries don't usually last long in these cars, but the V12's are even worse. It takes a lot of juice to crank up a high compression V12.

Sirens are another item that fails, as are the coolant caps.

12. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    I went through an old 99 E36 M3 2 years ago and I had to do the same thing...… 6 mo's of working out the little bugs..... then it's been great 5K trouble free miles..... hoping to do the same in the 360!

13. Mtbguy

Mtbguy Rookie

Jul 23, 2018
    Full Name:
    Rick Bensyl
    The one I am looking at is silver, but has navy blue interior, I like it but wonder if someone else would in five or ten years. Thx

14. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La

15. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    I think Silver would dictate the ease or difficulty of selling the car years down the road. Most silver cars have black interiors so dark blue is not a big jump. Years ago I had a silver DB6 with dark blue interior and it was stunning. Yes, I regret letting it go!

one4torque likes this.
  16. fotostars

fotostars Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Bay Area
    Carrier p/n for the coolant cap by any chance?? Source @ $10? , Thank you!! I love the community for the kind of stuff...

17. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
  18. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Looks like I’ll keep this to the top w regular weekly bugs.. each 100 miles a new little issue.. so far all manageable by me.

Blinker relay just became inop. New one from swizz land en route. Fancy solid state variant on order. Blinks still work w alarm just not blinker stalk or haz button.

On pos note will be driving m cars at cota today for m school full day. Wish me luck on the very short ax. Hoping to place well. Usually some national level hot shoes attending. Last yr we drove the m2 on the ax. Can’t wait for some cota laps at speed in the new m3 and m4. Will see how they do in our 100F.

G. Pepper likes this.
  19. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Welcome to Ferrari world! You won’t be sorry. The 360 gate shifter is raw visceral fun. Period. I’ve owned 2 and in the process of getting another one. Sellers remorse on the last 2 so I have to add another one to the stable. Good luck with yours. You’re going to love it.

20. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Placed 1st in the autocross today w the beemer peeps at the cota m driving exp.

New m5 is a beast on cota! Like a luxury gtr.

21. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Please hit me up if you happen to have an old used 'working' 360 blinker relay I can buy.
    I want to drive my car.... and don't want to be down too long waiting for my swiss made solid state upgrade kit.
    thx.......

22. fotostars

fotostars Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Bay Area
    one4torque likes this.
  23. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    #173 one4torque, Jul 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
    7/31/18 Update working on my 360:
    1. Think I found my blinker in-op culprit -
    Nothing visible burnt or puffing on the circuit board.....
    was thinking it would not be too hard to decipher the 7 blade f car relay..... and make an adapter to plug in an off the shelf auto-zone relay.... prob take two for the blinker and haz logic.
    If I had endless time I would do it.... instead just send $ to swiss guys for the solid state solution with the fancy blinks ;)

side-bar - researching this relay life to fail, and replacement avail.... it seems you can buy a replacement for $300 US. and read a few people suggest this is a consumable part.... and not surprising it fails on such an old car. I've got to say I've had 20-40 yr old cars and NOT one has had a relay fail..... some with over 100-180k miles.... not hating on an italian relay.... but my data suggests reliability (at least for this part) is sub-par, and replacement options are unusually and un-necessarily high.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    New swiss solid state variant on order.

2. inspected my battery terminals, one was loose, and added a batt tender connection.

NOTE_ blinker relay connector dangling loose to the right side..... oh swiss buddies, please ship my part aSAP! Batt voltage (not running) at 12.6...pretty happy car has no drains while sittings. topping off with tender today.

3. Inspected prior shops major svc work..... found my new water pump had a weep.... see dried green mat'l..... explains my one day low coolant bottle.... since then 200 miles no leak, no drop. cleaned up and will check again in 200 miles..... perhaps seals seated? or a defected new w pump from ricambi..

Also check every fuse in all locations.... found my parking light 15a blown.

rather easy to work on, and fun to get to know my 360 better.

Also able to run the car with the engine panel off and listen for any ex leaks... none to be heard. all good.

and one final OCD moment.... while the carpet panels were out performed a nice carpet clean with carpet shampoo and brushes....... some grime from prior svc's. cheers all f car people of the interweb.

RANDY6005 likes this.
  24. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    Looks like you are on the way to have her all sorted out . I am sure you know about the heat exchanger maybe a good ideal to replace it before it goes out, wend they go out it is one hell of a mess .. You are doing a great job on your 360 !

25. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Randy - thx! Will research the HE next.

Side note..... upon further exam of my failed blinker relay circuit board..... I was able to source a rather low cost replacement relay that is soldered onto the board...… it is $10 NOW out of Europe...…. I ordered on and will 'attempt' to sold it onto the old board and see if I get this blinker module replaced for $10 vs $300.

p/n
    Picture Information

Have one to sell? Sell now - Have one to sell?
    Details about SIEMENS V23072-C1052-X116 RELAY GENUINE