F Type Coupe owner experiences | FerrariChat

F Type Coupe owner experiences

Discussion in 'British' started by GuyIncognito, Jul 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    My BIL is considering a used (CPO) F Type coupe (probably base/S V6) as a daily driver. He doesn't see the need for the V8 model for sitting in urban traffic.

Anyone here have one? good/bad/ugly? any big repair items, things to look for, etc?

He's owned a Boxster for about 8 years and is looking at Caymans as well, but is intrigued by the F type.

2. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Does your BIL need to see, that car has terrible blind spots, along will numb steering and it is a big fat pig weight wise. I list the F typeR on my top 10 list of worst cars I've ever owned (I had 2 by the way), and for someone who has owned a Merkur, that says a lot. I would take a Miata RF (I did in fact) over the F type any day, and a boxster/cayman well the F type does not even come close to those. The only thing the F type has going for it is that it looks good on the outside, and yes I'm not a fan.

Texas Forever likes this.
  3. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    he's not really a performance guy so the steering and weight won't be a huge issue, but blind spots will be a problem.

4. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Well to be fair not everyone (thank god) is like me when it comes to cars, so I suggest your friend go drive one and try going down and off ramp and looking to the right to check to see if it is clear. Maybe a convex mirror would help (I never tried since there were fat too many other things about the car I didn't like).

5. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I considered the F type but the weight was a big reason I passed. Interior fit and finish was also a bit off with those plastics. I don’t think it will age as well as initially thought although the rear is fantastic.

I went with a used Aston Martin Vantage V8.

I think it is the best bang for the buck today.

Similar proportions. Much lighter. Like a bank vault. Perfect non-electric steering. You can get a manual on the V8 (or v12) unlike the V8 jag. Bulletproof mechanically. More exclusive. More interior room. The center mirror size and location in the jag is placed to block too much looking forward...

On the jag’s looks, something is off on the front corners and the wheel size / wells. It keeps me from fully enjoying the rear... these design areas will keep the car from making it into the “timeless” category in the future. It will just be a cheap old car.

At least send him a link on the AM. :)

Robb

6. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    The V8 Vantage is one of the most beautiful cars ever made but a stick would be horrible as a daily driver I think. When I drove one the clutch was quite heavy. The single clutch transmission would also be horrible for a daily driver.

I feel like this guy just wants a nice looking sports car for a dd. Maybe consider an Audi S5?

Robb likes this.
  7. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Clutch is much lighter on vantage 2009+

Robb

flat_plane_eddie likes this.
  8. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    I am an enormous Jag Fanboy, but I think the F-Type is overpriced for what it is. I was a really big fan of the XK series it replaced (have had 3 and still own one). Personally, I think the used Maserati Gransports are the best value out there.

ferraripete and flat_plane_eddie like this.
  9. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I'd probably advise a nice used 991, the PDK can go both ways very well. In non GT3 (or other special additions), it may not be the sports car it once was (but not a GT car like the others including the F type), but still better than some of the other suggestions. The 14 or 18 way seats are comfortable and you can probably find a nice example for around 60K. I have a 718 Cayman S (my girlfriend drives it), and I think it is a very nice car (this stickered near 100K), but the 911 is more of a GT ish sports car, and a bit more grown up.

10. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    tough crowd :eek:

I guess I'll suggest the Cayman. ;)

11. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Well he ended up buying an R today.

I guess 550 bhp covers a multitude of sins :D

12. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I hope he likes it, I am about to add an AMG GTS to my group. I would have suggested it, but it is not the same type of car.

13. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I've test driven them a couple of times and love them.

There's just no storage space at all for a daily driver, and it's not special enough (in my eyes) to be a fun car.

So I really want one, but can't justify it.

Matt

14. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I'm about 10 months into owning mine. I wanted a v-8 RWD car that I didn't have to worry about a bunch. Kind of a better finished off Corvette. After 10 months I'd give the car a 7 out of 10.

-'s
    The exhaust noise is bothersome around town and in the neighborhood. The pops and farts start to be unnecessary although it's great under acceleration and there's no drone on the road.

It weighs 400lbs too much and feels like it. No mistaking it for a 911 when you drive it. The V6 is probably a better car to drive.

+'s

The V8 has a ton of power everywhere. The transmission is fantastic.
    Perfect reliability. The only issue I had was the sticky crap going sticky and the dealer replaced all of it no questions asked.
    Awesome car to drive on a road trip. almost 30mpg with comfortable cabin. Just don't bring much.
    Best dealer of any car I've owned.
    The annual service was $200.

It's filled the want I had for a Corvette type car. An over powered V-8 is a lot of fun.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. Donatella

Donatella Karting

Aug 26, 2007
    US
  16. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom