F1 2020 Delayed: News/updates / is there hope :) | Page 19 | FerrariChat

F1 2020 Delayed: News/updates / is there hope :)

Discussion in 'F1' started by DF1, Mar 15, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    And they kept the august break!!

2. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

More fake news ?

3. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Sorry but this is wrong. Isn't it the calendar for the Renault EuroCup???

22-25 of October - 24 hours of Spa
    24-26 of July - Imola - European GT
    4-6 of September - Nürburgring - GT3/GT4

A friend races in GT and got the confirmation that these races will go on.

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  4. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Aha, so it is a calendar of racing events but not specific to F1.

5. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Ooops.....my bad.

You are correct.

DISREGARD

william likes this.
  6. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
  7. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    how stupid. could easily get in three more races and salvage the season

8. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    PROMOTERS: CLOSED-DOORS SINGAPORE GRAND PRIX NOT FEASIBLE

https://www.grandprix247.com/2020/05/16/promoters-closed-doors-singapore-grand-prix-not-feasible/

The Singapore Grand Prix will not be able to go ahead without spectators, according to the race’s promoters.

F1 plans to start its stalled season in July with races behind closed doors in Austria and Britain due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The sport has not given up on crowds returning later in the year, however.

Singapore GP promoters told The Straits Times newspaper on Saturday that they were maintaining an open dialogue with F1 but the race, which is scheduled for September 20, is “not feasible to conduct the behind closed doors”.“The top priority remains the well-being and safety of our fans, volunteers, and all Singaporeans,” a spokesman said.He added “works typically require three months to complete, and this will depend on whether such activities are permitted under the prevailing government regulations”.

Last year’s race on the Marina Bay street circuit was watched by 268,000 spectators over the three days, with overseas visitors making up 40% of the crowd.F1 has yet to publish a revised calendar, with three races cancelled and seven postponed so far, but draft versions have appeared on the internet without featuring Singapore.

The island nation has reported nearly 27,000 cases of coronavirus, the highest per capita infection rate in Asia, largely due to mass outbreaks in cramped accommodation for foreign labourers. The government has ordered a nationwide lockdown due to run until June 1.

SEIDL: CAREY IS IN CONTACT WITH HOCKENHEIM
    https://www.grandprix247.com/2020/05/16/seidl-carey-is-in-contact-with-hockenheim/

Hockenheim is in serious talks to host a Formula 1 race in 2020, according to McLaren boss Andreas Seidl.

Previously rumoured to be an option as a replacement for venues unable to host amidst the current COVID-19 pandemic, Seidl has now confirmed that negotiations between the German circuit’s owners and Liberty Media CEO Chase Carey are underway. “We heard that Chase Carey is in contact with Hockenheim. I can well imagine a race in Germany,” he told Sky Sport Deutschland.

Originally removed from the calendar after the 2019 edition due to the two parties being unable to reach terms on a contract extension, Liberty now finds itself in the position of needing the German circuit more than they need it, particularly with countries such as Singapore stating their unwillingness to race without spectators.

In comparison to many countries, Germany has been largely successful in its attempts to manage the spread of the coronavirus, although it still has a ways to go to join the 2020 calendar with Liberty’s willingness to cover the cost of hosting the race likely to be an issue.

9. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Teams still have to observe the legislation.
    The confinement didn't take away the right of Summer holidays for employees.

10. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/149473/wolff-very-proud-austria-set-to-host-f1-return

Mercedes Formula 1 boss Toto Wolff says he is "very proud" his home country of Austria is set to host the first two rounds of the 2020 season.

After coronavirus forced F1 to abort its season-opener in Australia back in March, the 2020 campaign has been on hiatus since, though Autosport reported a provisional first draft of a new calendar last week.

The Red Bull Ring is due to run races on 5 July and 12 July, and the venue has been working with F1 and state and local authorities on procedures that will allow the race to happen, such as regular COVID-19 testing over the weekend.

"I'm pretty optimistic that we can start in Austria because Austria has been one of the best countries in keeping the virus numbers low," Wolff said in a Mercedes video.

"And I think they will come up with a plan of how we can race.

"I know the circuit extremely well, because I did a thousand laps there as a racing driver and as an instructor.

"I lived in Spielberg, being a junior driver. It feels a little bit like a second home. I love Styria, and have many fond memories from the place.

"Starting the season there makes me very proud, that Austria will be the season opener, and doing it on two consecutive weekends so that finally we get two races done.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

"I'm very much looking forward to it."

Wolff says a special group has been established within the Mercedes team to help prepare for a full return to work.

At the moment the Brackley facility is subject to the FIA shutdown. Wolff expects to see a lot of changes when the staff return to work.

"We have a great task force in MGP which is structuring the life after coronavirus, social distancing, moving desks and work places around. So it will be very different," he added.

"I think what we have learned is we can do a lot from home, Zoom conferences or Skype or Webex are very efficient, so I think that's going to change in our work environment.

"Then of course we are planning the next races and hopefully getting the season started soon."

11. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    RUMOR: Liberty media has reached out to the Miami Dolphins as they have extensive experience in holding sporting events with no fans!

jjmalez and DF1 like this.
  12. DF1

Ouch LOL

13. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Steiner: Eight races would be financially worse for teams than no races

https://www.gptoday.net/en/news/f1/255532/steiner-eight-races-would-be-finanically-worse-for-teams-than-no-races

Haas team principal Guenther Steiner has spoken about the financial impact a delayed start could have for teams on the grid, worrying that if the season sees further cutbacks, it could be worse for teams than if the season was cancelled.

With the ongoing coronavirus pandemic delaying the start to the 2020 Formula 1 season, a revised calendar is set to begin in July with planned double-header races at the Red Bull Ring and Silverstone. F1 and the FIA have also taken precautions towards helping the teams financially for 2021 and beyond, allowing the current chassis regulations to move ahead into next season and delaying the initially proposed regulation changes for 2021 ahead a year to 2022.
    Under current FIA regulations, a minimum of eight races must be held for a season to be counted as a world championship. However, Steiner believes that the possibility of having such a low amount of races could play a very negative impact on teams.

“If you don’t go racing, I think we can survive,” Steiner told the F1 Nation podcast.
    “I think the worst of all would be if we’ve got only eight races because then you race, spend a lot of money, but you have got little income, and if you don’t race you don’t spend your money as you don’t go to races and you don’t need car parts.
    “The car [specification] is frozen for next year so I hope the plan works that we go to 15 races, that seems to be the magic number for getting it economically [viable], the 15 races, so hopefully we get that one done."

F1 teams 'owe it to the fans' to return to racing

With restrictions and lockdown currently still operating across Europe in an attempt to get the virus under control, fans will not be allowed to attend the first number of races. Despite this, circuit organisers hope the races can go-ahead behind closed doors and can be broadcast on television. Steiner hopes that this will allow F1 to be able to entertain the fans and said that F1 owes the fans to get back racing as quickly as possible.

“Nothing is not good for the sport in general as some fans would work away and just find other things to watch and get enthusiastic about,” Steiner added.
    “We owe it also to the fans to go racing, it’s not about us, we always speak about us, we talk about us, how we are getting frustrated, but there’s millions of people who follow us and we need to do the utmost to get them entertained again.
    “Obviously they like [F1] otherwise they wouldn’t be watching it! There’s a responsibility there, so hopefully we can get it done.”

14. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Typical fair weather fan ...

ktu likes this.
  15. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Potentially a major blow to F1: Boris Johnson's government changed their minds on giving the F1 teams an exemption to the quarantine rules. That eliminates the two Silverstone races. The alternate plan would be to do two Spielberg races and then go directly to Hungary and then to Hockenheim.

Meanwhile Austria is even considering having spectators at their event. Imagine that!

It's totally weird how different the individual countries react. A bit like the states in the US where you can live a normal life in one state and you are in lockdown in the neighbouring one.

16. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    F1 teams 'owe it to the fans' to return to racing

With restrictions and lockdown currently still operating across Europe in an attempt to get the virus under control, fans will not be allowed to attend the first number of races. Despite this, circuit organisers hope the races can go-ahead behind closed doors and can be broadcast on television. Steiner hopes that this will allow F1 to be able to entertain the fans and said that F1 owes the fans to get back racing as quickly as possible.

“Nothing is not good for the sport in general as some fans would work away and just find other things to watch and get enthusiastic about,” Steiner added.
    “We owe it also to the fans to go racing, it’s not about us, we always speak about us, we talk about us, how we are getting frustrated, but there’s millions of people who follow us and we need to do the utmost to get them entertained again.
    “Obviously they like [F1] otherwise they wouldn’t be watching it! There’s a responsibility there, so hopefully we can get it done.”[/QUOTE]

Mmm. Nice words but news to me. Not blaming Gunther but when has F1 ever considered the fans for ANYTHING. In fact they’ve done everything possible to make us want to head in another direction.

Never fails. Fans are only a consideration when ringside seats become increasingly available....;)

17. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Ted Kravitz's theory on where Sebastian Vettel could end up next! | The Notebook (32min 32sec)

18. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    If Sepang was still on the calendar, i think the first race could have been here. The daily rates seems low, averaging 30 cases per day.

Bas likes this.
  19. DF1

Fun watch. Clearly the BBC stating Vettel was not offered a contract hints at what Ted said - Equal or under Charles etc. The Charles contract was all Vettel needed to see. He would be #2 it seems so far. They disagree'd and Vettel decided to leave and Ferrari move on. He talked with Mclaren but nothing was set up. No Renault and he is 5th or lower priority for Mercedes. I still think Seb will depart F1 for now.

william and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  20. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I can't see anyone interested in Vettel these days.

The harder they fall ...

21. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Not just the best of the Tilke tracks, but just a fantastic all round track and facility. Truly dread that the Sepang GP is gone.

Remy Zero and DF1 like this.
  22. DF1

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/149533/hockenheim-talks-accelerate-amid-british-gp-doubts

Hockenheim chiefs say that talks with Liberty Media about the circuit joining the Formula 1 calendar have accelerated in the wake of fresh doubts over the British Grand Prix.

As reported by Autosport on Tuesday, the planned Silverstone races in July are now at risk of being abandoned with the British government looking likely to not grant F1 personnel an exemption to imminent quarantine restrictions.

If F1's final lobbying efforts to the UK government are unsuccessful, then there will be no chance of the British GP going ahead if personnel have to stay in isolation for 14 days after entering the country.

The uncertainty about Silverstone has resulted in Hockenheim emerging as the favourite to replace it, with the circuit having had preliminary discussions over recent weeks.

Hockenheim managing director Jorn Teske has now told Autosport that talks with Liberty had recently stepped up and were now focusing on practical matters.

"It is indeed true that we are still in ongoing talks with Formula 1," he said.

"We've moved from a casual conversation mode to a mode of sounding things out.

"We are sounding out under which conditions such a thing could be possible - [such as] the approval situation, infection situation, track availability and, of course, economics. These are all important issues."

23. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    I won't rule out that one day it will make a comeback. But F1 has to get more interesting first. And they definitely need a night race here.

DF1 and Bas like this.
  24. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
  25. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005