F1 2020 Delayed: News/updates / is there hope :) | Page 27 | FerrariChat

F1 2020 Delayed: News/updates / is there hope :)

Discussion in 'F1' started by DF1, Mar 15, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Without spectators, I presume the hosting fees go away completely as well and the cost to host a race is minimal in these circumstances. Bring on Imola, Mugello, Algarve....and lets throw in Magny Cours as well!

Chang in Thailand is also a wonderful little gem that also holds T1 grade. Can we pretty please get Sepang back as well?

Huge makeover. Final chicane got removed as well and is now a long straight (with some bends) from Rivazza. Still one of my all time favourite circuits. On sims I use it all the time.

jgonzalesm6 and Ferrari 308 GTB like this.
  2. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Sepang is right next to KLIA , there are also a few decent hotels around there which together could accommodate the reduced F1 circus. Fly in/out on dedicated charter flights.

The latest MCO Recovery runs until 31 Aug ,no foreigners allowed in without a work permit and even locals cannot fly out internationally.The promoters could not make money in the past and the Government had to put money in .However if Liberty could guarantee the financials i can see it might work towards the end of this year.

'Only'around 8600 c19 with 120 deaths so far.

Bas and Nembo1777 like this.
  3. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Malaysia dropped its GP because they say they couldn't afford it; I guess there was more than meet the eyes there.
    It shouldn't be allowed to take advantage of the Covid-19 circumstances to hold a GP for nothing now!!

4. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Would be same for other tracks like Hockenheim

william likes this.
  5. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Yes.

If Liberty gives GPs for free to circuits that don't want to pay the fees in normal circumstances, that's a kick in the teeth for those that do.

6. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Cough... Monaco... Cough...

7. DF1

+1 lol. All the money in the world and they pay zero lol

8. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    The reasoning is that, apparently, F1 absolutely needs Monaco and Ferrari, on historic grounds apparently.

So they both get special treatment from F1. Monaco pays no fee and obtains all the necessary safety dispensations to have a GP.

Ferrari, well, we all know ...

9. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    So where is your libertarian spirit now? It's supply and demand: if only Monaco can do a Monaco GP, they get it for free. And if just a few are willing to host a race during the coronavirus days they can ask for a discount.

If Liberty doesn't agree, well, they can do a season with only 5 or 6 races and loose the TV money, it's their choice.

Sunracer and Simon^2 like this.
  10. DF1

In the absurd spirit of fairness, since not all places are Monaco, Monaco should pay. Even a small fee. They can easily afford it. Has zero to do with anything else certainly not a political line. They should pay something. Singapore pays and is even wealthier. So LOL :)

william and tifosi12 like this.
  11. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Monaco works because the hospitality industry(broadly speaking) revenue is massive. No fans=no$=no race.

12. DF1

Im glad it works. They can afford to pay something. There is not exception for them vs Singapore etc.

william likes this.
  13. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Monaco matters. Singapore is just another strip of asphalt.

stavura, Jack-the-lad and Bas like this.
  14. DF1

Monaco is show not a race lol. Yes I know how historically important. They should still pay. They have the money.

william likes this.
  15. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I love Monaco, the race I agree is not so good but the qualifying is by far the best, of all. Singapore? Not so much. Monaco qualifying is sheer greatness.

16. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    F1 is not a cooperative venture or a mutual, in the financial sense. Each track is free to negotiate its own arrangement with Liberty. Personally I think it’s a silly track for modern F1, but obviously Liberty sees it as highly valuable. Thus....no fee.

375+ likes this.
  17. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    With that logic, why can't the circuits negotiate their own arrangement with TV channels, and completely by-pass Liberty, thus avoiding paying exhorbitant fees?
    It used to be like that before the FIA sold the commercial rights.
    In the end, one can question the role of Liberty in F1.

18. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Because Liberty controls those rights. If they didn’t then nothing would stop the tracks from negotiating with the tv channels, except that the tv channels wouldn't do it. Too messy. They want to deal with one entity.

19. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    william likes this.
  20. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Germany has more cash than Monaco or Singapore and still there is not German GP. It's not about the money, it's just that the German GP is not so important as the Monaco GP, neither for the Germans to pay for it nor for Liberty to give it for free.

I could agree in that Monaco should pay something. But for the rest, hosting a race right now is a PITA: no ticket's money, setting quarantine zones for the teams... So the price can't be the same than before.

21. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    There is only one F1 championship so having only one promoter to arrange the calendar is not a bad idea.

The real problem is that Max Mosley sold the rights to his pal Bernie for a whole century so he was able to do as he pleased, and now Liberty inherited the deal. But it's too late to complain about that.

22. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Monaco is a week that everybody talks to any potential sponsor and get deals worked out.
    The race itself is incidental.

23. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    It's not a matter of money, but a case of strict accounting.
    Some tracks cannot break even organising a GP, with the gate revenue.
    They spread the loss in their account over the whole financial year, or receive sponsor or public money to balance the books.
    In Germany, it seems the expectation is that each event has to pay for itself, and that's impossible for them.
    Those who dealt with Germany, know they are not very flexible when it comes to financial discipline.

24. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    I wouldn’t miss monaco for one moment. The most pathetic race of the year. Pointless procession. Arguing it’s important on historical grounds is garbage. No fans will abandon the sport if it’s gone. It’s not the same as losing ferrari. How they are allowed to host a race for free is beyond me. Monaco needs F1 way more than F1 needs monaco.

william likes this.