F1 2022 - News/Regulation change/Developments | Page 4 | FerrariChat

F1 2022 - News/Regulation change/Developments

Discussion in 'F1' started by DF1, Sep 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Maybe, but the driver still makes the difference. A car only perform at its best with the most competent drive, as we have seen many times. .

Also, sports are financially supported by sponsors and announcers, and F1 provides an international platform second to none to adverisers compared to many other sports, which are at best national championships.

But F1 drivers don't get the rewards football players, golfers, basketball players enjoy. That, I find strange.

2. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Since, in physics, work is power integrated over time, the car is doing 99.993% of the work. (and I might be missing another couple of 9's)

Beau365 likes this.
  3. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau

Unlike other sports we now have the technology to completely remove the driver element, which would remove 100% of driver salaries.

Sig. Roma likes this.
  4. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    If you think the driver element don't matter in F1, think how the teams try to put the best they can afford in their cars !

5. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau

Driver influence is far smaller today than the pre-hybrid eras.

classic308 likes this.
  6. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Except for that thing about winning races and preserving tires.

DF1 and william like this.
  7. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Depends on who you ask, some drivers say they're just as hard, some say they're easier.

william likes this.
  8. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Eh?? Come 0n -ANY driver could win in the Mercedes last year, now ANY driver could win in the RedBull!! :)

9. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    George Russell proved that pretty hard too. He was *KILLING* it in the Merc and got a really raw deal. I can't wait for him to either get in a better car or for Williams to make the comeback everyone says they're going to and see him really shine.

Beau365 and Bas like this.
  10. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Max is showing that the driver makes the last 0.5 second of qualifying time.
    Lewis is showing that the last 10-15 seconds of race pace is the driver (preserving the life of the tire over a stint.)

AND:: I suspect that Latifi in the Merc would be mid-field at best.

william likes this.
  11. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau

That can all be done with software.
    Hopefully F1 won't go there.

12. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

George Russell isnt ' "any" driver either, he is possibly one of the best.

I would put him in the same category as Leclerc: an excellent driver buying his time in the wrong team.

armedferret likes this.
  13. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    #88 Bas, Jun 27, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
    Right-o. Time to put this rumour to bed:
    Which car is the Merc and which car is the Red Bull?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

HINT: The one that won a race only won it because a tyre exploded 2 laps from the end. The other scores podiums far more regularly.

14. DF1

Was having a bit of fun with Max from last year. He ran the mouth all about that many times.

15. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Big meeting set up at Spielberg on July 3rd to discuss 2025 engine rules. Källenius (Mercedes), Elkann (Ferrari), de Meo (Renault), Mateschitz (Red Bull), Blume (Porsche) & Duesmann (Audi) will meet up with Todt, Domenicali & Brawn.

Motor summit in Spielberg

Bosses determine the future of engines

Formula 1 wants to define the Formula 1 engine of the future this year. On July 3rd there will be an elephant round with the big car bosses in Spielberg. In addition to the four Formula 1 manufacturers, the CEOs of Porsche and Audi also sit at the table.

It's an ambitious game with lots of puzzle pieces. The concept for the Formula 1 engine of the future is to be defined this year. It will then replace the current hybrid technology in 2025. The manufacturers represented in Formula 1 and those who might want to become one have been at the negotiating table with their sports bosses for six months.

There are still fundamental questions like: How much should the engine cost? How high should the cost cap for manufacturers be? Which components should become standard parts and which shouldn't? What should the combustion engine look like? How big should the share of electrical energy be?

How much energy can you recuperate under the best of circumstances? Do you need the MGU-H or not? Should you give the power to the front and rear axles or, in the classic way, only to the rear? What overall performance are you aiming for? How big and heavy should the battery be so as not to increase the total weight of the car and not to change the architecture of the car too much?

Dispute over costs cover

Only one parameter has already been determined. The combustion engine must be operated with CO2-neutral fuel. The base will likely be the current V6. Anything else would cost too much money. With the budget cap, Red Bull imagines 80 million dollars, whereby the material value of a drive unit should not exceed one million. There are currently two million.

"The price and the cost cap depend heavily on the drive technology," warns Ferrari. Like Red Bull, the Italians are among the price pushers. Others in the group consider a budget limit of 120 million to be more realistic. "You could also work with that to cover costs," it says from this corner.

The negotiations that the FIA and Formula 1 have so far conducted with the sports directors have all followed the same pattern. In principle, everyone agrees. As soon as it goes into detail, mistrust dominates the conversation. Every suggestion is checked to see whether it is compatible with your own ideas. Nobody wants to give up an advantage to the competition.

Also Audi and Porsche there

Fritz Enzinger, sports coordinator of the VW group, now counts on the meeting of the car bosses. There is a greater chance that we will agree on common goals. On July 3, there will be an elephant lap for the first time in Spielberg as part of the engine discussion.

The car bosses will meet next Saturday with FIA President Jean Todt and Formula 1 bosses Stefano Domenicali and Ross Brawn. Ola Källenius comes for Mercedes, John Elkann for Ferrari, Luca de Meo for Renault and Dietrich Mateschitz for Red Bull. Audi boss Markus Duesmann and Porsche CEO Oliver Blume are also at the table.

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/formel-1/f1-motor-2025-treffen-bosse-porsche-audi/&prev=search&pto=aue

DF1 and william like this.
  16. Hocakes

Hocakes Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2010
    FL
    Biding, not buying.
    Sent from my Samsung Note 8 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

ingegnere and william like this.
  17. DF1

Looking forward to this change. This year is old news and faster old news with each race.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/russell-sim-work-shows-f1-2022-is-completely-different-ball-game/6623849/

Russell: Sim work shows F1 2022 is "completely different ball game"
    By: Luke Smith
    Jul 2, 2021, 7:20 AM
    George Russell says his early simulator work with Williams for its 2022 car shows that Formula 1 will be a “completely different ball game” under the new technical regulations.

F1 will introduce its biggest technical change since the introduction of the V6 hybrid power units in 2014 next year, overhauling the car design and aerodynamic performance.

The cars are set to become a few seconds per lap slower than they are now, but are intended to be more raceable to allow for better wheel-to-wheel racing.

Williams driver Russell said on Thursday that he was “not hugely” involved in the development of the team’s 2022 car, but had completed some early simulator work that showed just how different it will be next year.

“It’s such early days, just building those foundations,” Russell said.

“I guess from the driving perspective, you’re just constantly giving feedback from this year’s car, what you would want from next year’s car.

“But it’s a completely different ball game. I think next year, probably one of the biggest changes ever in the Formula 1 regs.

“Right now, I guess it’s the same for all of the teams, trying to find their feet and understanding where they can exploit and find more performance.

“But until we hit that track at the first test next year, nobody is going to have any idea.”

George Russell, Williams

Photo by: FIA Pool

Russell’s early indications from the simulator was that the car “definitely should be more raceable”, and hoped the reduced levels of dirty air from cars in front would also help the new 18-inch tyres set to be introduced by Pirelli.

“I think it will be more beneficial for the tyres because you’ve then got less dirty air, and the tyres will be probably overheating less,” Russell said.

“Obviously as well we’ve got the 18-inch tyres. Modelling all of this stuff, a massive aerodynamical change, modelling the 18-inch tyres, how that affects the vehicle dynamics of the car, at this stage, without having done a single lap on-track to gather the real data, it is difficult.

“I guess it comes back to how good the team correlation is. I think if a team has good correlation between the CFD and the windtunnel, and then onto the track, with something as drastic as this, they should be in a very good spot.

“They can probably really trust their numbers, whereas for teams who probably can’t trust their numbers quite as much, we’ll slightly be on the back foot.

“It’s such a big change. It’s too early to say.”

Read Also:

18. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Oh god. Last time Audi attended a meeting about engines we nearly got straight 4 turbo engines...

armedferret and ingegnere like this.
  19. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    #94 ingegnere, Jul 3, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
    +1

So funny seeing william trying to come across as so erudite and writing “buying his time” instead of “biding his time” and getting called out for it. LOL.

Also funny how his trolling is so transparent by insinuating that Ferrari—where Leclerc has won races and poles—is on the same level as has-been team Williams.

Bas likes this.
  20. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
    Yes, the technology exists to replace a driver in the car.

However, do drivers play other important roles within the team? Does the driver serve as a leader that motivates and inspires their team to perform better? Like a quarterback or the CEO of a company?

What typically separates a good team/company from the best, always comes down to culture and leadership. Not sure if drivers in F1 serve this role or if team owners do.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

william likes this.
  21. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    It’s not just typing errors, it’s writing and comprehension errors. :D

Bas likes this.
  22. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Lololo...please check the tyres Willie...maybe you will understand....or not

Bas likes this.
  23. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

You seem to have a problem with me.

Grow up ...

24. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    You seem to have a problem with a whole group, or groups, of ethnicity. You also may have forgotten F1’s motto “We Race as One”.

Maybe stop trolling or just go away. :rolleyes:

jpalmito likes this.
  25. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I suggest you report my posts to the moderators. I 'll accept their arbitration.

You call trolling posting different views than yours. I never attacked you personally, so lay off.

My non-partisan views regarding F1, or the state of the Scuderia reflect what is largely published in the media.

I wish one could say the same about yours. This forum is open to different opinions.