F1 + 6speed in 575 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F1 + 6speed in 575

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by bobracing, Jan 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    On the street, a Maranello has so much torque that not much shifting is required anyway. 4th gear will cover just about any situation.

Indeed, the other day, a friend of mine did a top gear roll on against a GT2. The GT2 dropped two gears to get cooking. My Maranello friend just left it in 6th. No drama Momma.

On the track, you might need to stir the pot a bit more. But I can cruise TWS (a converted NASCAR track) in 4th with just one downshift to 3rd for a mid-course hairpin.

Given this, I have always wondered why anyone would want an F1 in a Maranello. (A 360 CS is another story.) But finding a 575 with a stick is hard to do. It looks like over 90% of the 575s are being sold with the F1. I'm wondering if maybe the F1 is better than most of us as drivers as far as wear and tear is concerned. Let's face it. Babying a clutch is becoming a lost art.

Don't know. I'm planning on test driving a 575 F1 pretty soon just to see what the fuss is all about.

Dr "Look Ma, no feet" Tax

2. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    On the track, I'd take a sequential over a traditional manual every time. Once upon a time at Pocono I tried a 4th to 3rd UPSHIFT in a 911 - still have a couple of bent valves as souvenirs. Love those sequentials.

3. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Sorry to bring this thread back, but I guess there's still some interest! Thanks, Brian, for your response. Now the question is: I wonder how extra this guy had to pay Ferrari to put two shfters in his 575

4. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    The 15 turn course (2.9 mile) at TWS can be taken in 4rd gear in a F355 except for the Carrosell (mid course hairpin) and turn 15 (the end of a 3 corner left-right-left that exits onto the straight), and the shift into 5th on the main straight.

5. RP512TR

RP512TR Karting

Jan 11, 2004
    FRESNO
    Full Name:
    Ross
    The paddle is great for racing. But there is nothing like hearing the metal shifter klink through the gates.

6. Seth

Seth Formula 3

Feb 8, 2004
    Texas
    i kind of have the car with two diff trannys figured out but one question

when the car is in F1 mode and you upshift or downshift does the actualy shiftstick move into the correct postions on its own, or just stay in neutral

7. Chip D

Chip D Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2003
    Louisiana
    2004 575 F1 Argento Nurburgring/Black

8. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    So has anyone heard much about this car in the past 2+ years? Thread Bump because some people still haven't heard about this car.

9. otaku

otaku Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Boise,Idaho
    Full Name:
    Josh
    If I were buying a 575 I would want a 6spd in blue pozzi with a tubi.