355 - F1 actuator "centering" or reset | FerrariChat

355 F1 actuator "centering" or reset

Discussion in '348/355' started by J. Salmon, Jul 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    I need some help from the brotherhood. Shortly after taking ownership of my 355, it developed a bad bearing in the transmission. I had promised myself I would do as much of the service on the car as possible, including engine outs. But the gearbox... forgetaboutit. So I pulled the box and sent it to Haris in Houston who rebuilt it super purdy.
    So now it is all back together, but the F1 system needs to be "reset."

I have performed the PIS self-calibration, the "IO" self-calibration, and the Octopus engagement and selection self-learning procedures; it still will not select gears properly.

Haris is saying that I need an SD1 and a special tool to center the actuator. OK...but it will be at least a month before I can get into the local dealership, and I was a little worried when they didn't seem to really understand what was going on (Haris predicted it would do exactly what it is doing). His SD1 is in Italy being rebuilt, and apparently there is some virus that is slowing things down.

Is there any way to do this myself? Is there any way to rent an SD1?
    Can anyone tell me exactly what needs to be done, so at least I can convey that to the dealership?

The only thing I dislike about the F1 is this lack of capability on a system that is about as advanced as an Atari.

2. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Check with some of the local Independent service centers.

Some have the SD1. Others have the Leonardo and the new ones will do what you need done.

Qavion likes this.
  3. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I'm in the same boat, I called both of the local independent shops here, and ask them about centering. They both sounded like they had never heard of it, but assured me they could figure it out. The problem is I don't want to pay to have them try to figure it out. It should be a one-hour job or less.

4. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    If they have the SD1 or Leonardo, they can figure it out. If they don't....I wouldn't bother.

It really is no more than following the instructions in the repair manual.

Motion Products near me did mine a few years back. They never did one before either.
    We spent more time getting the connections and contact correct than the actual process.

Motion Products had an SD1 that crapped out....they now run the Leonardo and from what I gather are quite happy with it.

5. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    I have seen groups groups get a "collective" tool that benefits the group. Any interest here? An SD1 is ridiculously expensive, but if we had 20 or 30 that went in and we managed the use of it, it could be a real help. You don't need it often, but when you do, it's really valuable.
    Back when my dad and I were build a Factory Five Cobra (no judging please...;)) there was a tool specific to those kits, and the members just borrowed it from the collective, used it, and sent it on to the next person that needed it. 355 F1s are very specialized, and many of the newer tools and shops don't have what we need. This makes the cars more expensive and difficult to service, and lowers the value.
    If we made this go away - if these difficulties and limitations to ownership disappeared - not only would we be able to enjoy our cars more, they would be more valuable to others.
    We collectively get an SD1 and designate someone to keep track of it. If you want to use it, you have to a member of the "group" and you pay the shipping and extraneous stuff to get it. Then you just send it to the next person in need. Combined with a DIY thread that documents how to use it, we would have something really powerful.

kenneyd likes this.