F1 air purging with pump head change. | FerrariChat

F1 air purging with pump head change.

Discussion in '360/430' started by albkid, Mar 23, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. albkid

albkid Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I plan on upgrading the F1 transmission motor/pump head. To do so requires that the two fittings at the pump head be separated. One is the input from the reservoir, the second is the high pressure output.

A procedure published by Juri Gelovani showed how to purge a new pump head. However, it is unclear whether this procedure was sufficient to adequate purge any introduced air in the high pressure output line. See, http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/360-430-sponsored-yellow-compass-group/268458-360-f1-hydraulic-pump-relay-pictures-inside-2.html

Has anyone tried Juri's procedure when fitting a new pump head and were you successful? If not, would just using the purge valve on the top of the engine frame allow for successful evacuation of any air that might be introduced into the system with a pump head change?

Thanks.

Jim

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Jim- I would have the system bled with a diagnostic tool if I were you. A good time to change out your F1 fluid, too, which should be done at least every three years, but was not in the maintenance recommendations until the 599 came out.

3. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    I recently swapped out my F1 pump in my F430 ...but just the motor not the head. Was there a reason they you changed out the head as well?

4. scuderia09

scuderia09 Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 6, 2007
    Just changing the F1 pump head you don,t need to purge system and if you need to purge it best with a scan tool or the F1 system you would need to be running the car and bleed the F1 pump with 2 bleeders

5. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    I believe changing the pump head does require purging. Changing the motor that the pump head is attached to does not require purging. Those 2 can be separated without the release of hydraulic fluid and letting air in the system.

6. albkid

albkid Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    Full Name:
    Jim
    When I decided to upgrade the motor, I was impressed with the performance increase that both an upgraded motor and pump would bring to both decreased pump priming time and the ability of the combination to keep system pressure at a constant level during rapid shifting. Since the cost of the new pump was $150, I figured I would upgrade the motor and pump at the same time.

7. scuderia09

scuderia09 Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 6, 2007
    changing the F1 motor only and not the hydraulic head does not require purging

8. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM

That's what I said......re-read my quote ....but in your earlier quote you said changing the pump head DOES NOT require bleeding....and you're wrong....again...

9. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    let me remind you........

10. scuderia09

scuderia09 Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 6, 2007
    #10 scuderia09, Mar 25, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
    you red it wrong, I said the F1 pump re read my 1st post again and i,am not wrong ????? I don,t need to be reminded

11. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    #11 Flea7, Mar 25, 2017
    So....what are you saying here?
    To me your saying that purge is not needed when changing the pump. It contradicts what you said later.
    I'm Just trying to put correct information out there. You're is incorrect.....again.

12. scuderia09

scuderia09 Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 6, 2007
    I guess you never replace a f1 pump on an 430 then without purging the system, just remove the front 4 bolts and 1 in the back on bracket if you like to know very simple , I think you don't know what talking about it very correct , and yes that what I,am saying

13. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Jim- You have a PM.

14. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    I have and I give up. I can't argue with.....

15. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Congratulations, you came to the same conclusion most of us have.

16. scuderia09

scuderia09 Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 6, 2007
    #16 scuderia09, Mar 25, 2017
    People like you that don,t know what there doing, changing a simple F1 pump if done proper would'nt have to purge the system , that right why should I waste my time on you ether , :)

17. scuderia09

scuderia09 Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 6, 2007
    Hey Terry , you never answer me back my question i sent you , because you can't I proof you wrong again , your in the wrong thread Terry stick to your 550 thread, :)

18. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    scuderia- What I have concluded on you is there are three possibilities:

1) you do not know what you are talking about (my favorite)
    2) you do not understand what anybody is saying
    3) you cannot express yourself well enough to explain what you are trying to say

If you remove the pump and head, any pro will tell you that introduces air into the system.

Note that I ignore nearly all of your questions and only a rank amateur would think a 550 has an F1 system. All most of us can hope to do is steer folks away from your advice.

19. scuderia09

scuderia09 Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 6, 2007
    Hey Terry , if you read the thread right were talking about replacing a F1 pump and were not introducing any air into the system or remove any lines just the F1 pump very simple job you DON'T need to purge the F1 system, what don,t you not understanding Terry, get your story straight before you open your big trap .

20. Mancunian

Mancunian Rookie

Jul 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Phil Weston
    Gentlemen, what we have here is a failure to communicate. Now apologize and in the future, be nice.

21. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Phil- You have to be kidding. Policing the forum with 8 posts?

22. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Brian- I actually bought it for my techs. The AE software can do all the bleed and self-test functions, but my techs are the ones who get their hands (gloves, actually) dirty.

23. Davet18

Davet18 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 1, 2014
    NE Florida
    With the help of all the post on this forum, I just finished changing the fluids on my F430 and the last fluid to change is the F1 hydraulic system. Like Brian, I have the AE Software and searching for a purge/bleed procedure for the F1 transmission. WSM is lacking in this area.

Anyone have an ideas where to find the procedure, even if it is using an SD3.

Thanks
    Dave T

24. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Look on Aldous Voice's site. Procedure for 360 should be very close.

25. gtr2

gtr2 Rookie

Mar 1, 2017
    texas
    Full Name:
    earl
    i have a 2008 f 430 and need motor and pump but i can't PM you how do i get in touch