F1 at COTA in October | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F1 at COTA in October

Discussion in 'F1' started by Corsair66, Jul 12, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chopperdr

chopperdr Formula Junior

May 10, 2009
    oceanside/vancouver
    Full Name:
    cal meeker
    The Tyrrell is a 79, so its a true ground effects car, we are not allowed to run skirts in Historic racing. The car was used to test the hydraulic suspension that showed up in 82 when skirts were banned and the cars would lower themselves on track and raise up in the pits to be within the ride height rules.
    The Tyrrell and the Williams are pretty much the same money to run, the Williams is just worth about twice as much to buy. The FW08C is an 83 car, so yes it was super stiff and more twitchy than a ground effects car. Both are great no matter how you slice it.

2. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Wife and I are planning on going. This will be our first time there and her first F1 race.

Have most of the kinks been worked out at COTA? Or do I need to prepare myself for parking nightmares, no food, terrible facilities, etc?

3. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Get a parking pass. Food and facilities are top notch

4. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Awesome! :)

5. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Will do. Any hotel suggestions?

6. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Anything you find and can afford.

You'll find average motels around the periphery of Austin at decent prices and you find elegant hotels downtown at ridiculous prices. Downtown is where the F1 parties are

7. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    There is no separate concert ticket. Race & qualifying tickets are needed to gain access to the concerts.

crinoid likes this.
  8. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    They actually said that? Everyone with a Qualifying ticket can see the Timberlake concert.

9. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    No real improvement to the parking situation.

10. chopperdr

chopperdr Formula Junior

May 10, 2009
    oceanside/vancouver
    Full Name:
    cal meeker
    Was informed this morning that the vintage F1 paddock will be open to the public, cannot 100% verify, but source is the organizer of the vintage F1 group. In previous years the inner paddock was closed to spectators. looking at a 25 car grid right now.

tifosi12 and crinoid like this.
  11. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Wow. It's about time. It's always open in Montreal. Never could understand why it hasn't been open in Austin.

12. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    UGH... Michael Buffer who announces WWF aka: "Get ready toooooooooooo ruuuuuummmmmmmmmbllllllllllllllle!" is doing the driver introductions.

F1 keeps reaching lower and lower into the barrel to find an audience.

hairy_scotsman likes this.
  13. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I just realized something. It seems COTA has dropped its Fan Fest activities for this year.I can't find any confirmation of it on google or their website. It has shrunk more and more every year. I guess they gave up on it.

14. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Oh boy. This will be my 2nd trip to the USGP at Austin. From what you are saying it reminds me of the Indy US GP where things were fantastic for the first race and then dwindled down over the years until it resembled a GP in Valencia where you couldn't tell in town that there was a race that weekend. :(

15. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    FYI for any of you who might want to attend the USGP this year ... COTA finally released this year's shuttle info a few days ago.

There are two shuttle drop off points this year. One shuttle drops you at the McAngus Road shuttle loading/unloading area. From there, COTA calls it a "short walk". It's about a 3/4 mile walk on a dirt path just to get to the Grand Plaza entry gate near Turn 15. That shuttle costs $15/day. If you're sitting at T1, or T9 it's about an additional 1 mile walk from the Grand Plaza gate to either of those areas. It's about 3/4 mile from the Grand Plaza gate to the Main Grandstand.

There is a shuttle that will drop you right at the Front Gate by the Grand Plaza That shuttle costs $50/day. So for an extra $35/day you avoid 1.5 miles of walking, but you may still have a long walk to your seats and back to the Front Gate shuttle area.

16. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I have a parking ticket for my car so I should be all set.

17. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    We are coming and bringing our kids (4 and 7). My lovely wife bought me tickets for father's day (although I have a sneaking suspicion Mr. Timberlake may have influenced this decision somewhat). This will be both my first trip to Austin and my first F1 race, so really looking forward to the experience. We've been to a few Indycar races and various vintage race weekends at different places, so looking forward to the contrast in the size of the event. So, now some rookie questions for all you seasoned professionals:

1) We just bought general admission tickets, but I am planning on watching stubhub during the weekend to see if any grandstand tickets pop up that I may want. I've never been to COTA, so where are the best places to watch from, both GA and grandstand areas that would be worth searching for? I'm sure we'll walk around a bit especially on Friday/Saturday, but wanted to have at least a bit of a game plan in my head. We did also buy a parking pass.

2) Is it worth trying to get on the track for the podium celebration after the race? My kids and wife enjoy watching that when we watch on TV, so I thought it may be fun to try to make it. Does anyone know where the track access point is at COTA? Don't want to have to watch the race from a crappy vantage point just to be in a position to make it out on the track in time for the podium.

3) For GA, is it worth the hassle of carrying around folding chairs? Will they allow a small wagon or stroller for the kids?

4) I would love to have paddock access to the Masters cars as mentioned above...any special ticket needed for this? At the Indy races I've been to there is an additional paddock pass you have to buy, but I don't see anything on the COTA website.

5) Any other tips for a successful weekend are much appreciated!

18. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Michael Buffer announces for Boxing... HBO PPV now I believe, was Showtime for a long long time. I don't understand how this is considered "Lower and lower in the barrel"

goose22b likes this.
  19. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    We are coming and bringing our kids (4 and 7). My lovely wife bought me tickets for father's day (although I have a sneaking suspicion Mr. Timberlake may have influenced this decision somewhat). This will be both my first trip to Austin and my first F1 race, so really looking forward to the experience. We've been to a few Indycar races and various vintage race weekends at different places, so looking forward to the contrast in the size of the event. So, now some rookie questions for all you seasoned professionals:

1) We just bought general admission tickets, but I am planning on watching stubhub during the weekend to see if any grandstand tickets pop up that I may want. I've never been to COTA, so where are the best places to watch from, both GA and grandstand areas that would be worth searching for? I'm sure we'll walk around a bit especially on Friday/Saturday, but wanted to have at least a bit of a game plan in my head. We did also buy a parking pass.

Turn 12, you can see them going into turn 1/2, 4-7, 12-15. Plus 12 is a heavy braking zone after the long straight.

2) Is it worth trying to get on the track for the podium celebration after the race? My kids and wife enjoy watching that when we watch on TV, so I thought it may be fun to try to make it. Does anyone know where the track access point is at COTA? Don't want to have to watch the race from a crappy vantage point just to be in a position to make it out on the track in time for the podium.

Last time I went they didn't realease the masses until after the guys were ready to get on the podium. It would be a scramble to get close at that point.

3) For GA, is it worth the hassle of carrying around folding chairs? Will they allow a small wagon or stroller for the kids?

4) I would love to have paddock access to the Masters cars as mentioned above...any special ticket needed for this? At the Indy races I've been to there is an additional paddock pass you have to buy, but I don't see anything on the COTA website.

5) Any other tips for a successful weekend are much appreciated!

Food is good, but be prepared to wait in line. Bathrooms are portables, but plenty of them. Wear sunscreen and have a great time :D

20. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I start the weekend Thursday night...JD McPherson will be at the Scoot Inn....

After that the FCA Reception Friday, like last year...I use the Broken Spoke and then later, C Boy's on South Congress, for entertainment.
    I think the Grid Girls are in the spare bedroom....:/

Craigs List will be full of ticket swapping.

GA is okay with small chairs and certainly strollers.

If any one needs anything, come find the Big Green House, on South Congress at the Live Oak stoplight.
    Hairy_Scotsman you need to catch up, to Retired Sterling!!

My seats are PSLs, in MSG, at least until Enzo's secretary arrives.

Oh, Podium access is from MSG after the race, so go up the stairs like you are heading to Velocity Lounge, then go thru the lower level of MSG, then out the gate they open, on to the Track!

They don't call me 'Turn 1 Wayfinder', for nothing!!

21. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    There are permanent bathrooms also.

At Turn 1, and also at T15.

goose22b likes this.
  22. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  23. kevinkw

kevinkw Karting

Apr 19, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Also going, but haven't decided on which ticket yet. Long long time fan, first time in person, first time COTA.
    They still have general admissions, grand stand, Turn 9, and Turn 4. Turn 12 is sold out. Any suggestions?
    Also when ordering, they talk about different shuttles, from free to $150. Anyone use those? What are the differences, worth it?

24. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    #49 jgonzalesm6, Oct 11, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  25. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed