F1 Book Recommendations | FerrariChat

F1 Book Recommendations

Discussion in 'F1' started by amerikalei, Jun 25, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. amerikalei

amerikalei Karting

May 23, 2011
    Looking for suggestions on F1 books and thought this might be a more appropriate place than the official book collectors thread. I've recently been on a run and have gotten through or am working on the following for 2020:

- A. Newey, How to Build a Car
    - M. Lawrence, March: Four Guys and a Telephone
    - N.Skeens, John Barnard bio
    - J. Saward, The GP Saboteurs (this one was an interesting gem that had not gotten a lot of press, although it might be too history based for some purely racing fans)
    - G.Donaldson, James Hunt bio

The Hunt, March, Newey and Barnard books all complement each other in terms of overall culture and context. I've read the Stewart and Lauda books long ago and they're part of this universe as well.

What is the best Villenueve book out there?

Was looking at the Tony Brooks autobiography. Wondered if anyone had any comments on how it was. I've always like Brooks, but the ebay speculative value effect has taking it off my list for now.

Also looked at the Tony Southgate book, but again, the ebay effect priced it out of my willingness to pay.

Horsman, Racing in the Rain, ditto re cost for now. Maybe it got swept up in the notoriety of the fictional novel and movie of the same name...

The Luca del Monte Enzo book is on my short list. Seems to be the definitive bio from what I've read.

Curious about Surtees as well. Seems like EVRO has a book out, but it seems to be all captions to photos. Any reviews? Does it cover his entire career, both as racer and team owner?

The Brothers Rodriguez. Another one I've looked at but haven't taken the plunge.

And finally, any other recommendations on designers or team managers books. One of my earliest purchases long ago was John Wyer's The Certain Sound, which set a good standard even on a recent re-read. Reminds me of some of the insights in the Newy and Barnard books. I see that Veloce Press has a book Ron Tauranac-RALT book, wondered how it was?

Thanks for your insights and impressions.

2. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    You are better read than me, but I as you mention March, I am enjoying Maurice Hamilton’s Lauda biography.
    Though to be honest this is due to ‘the rat’s” contribution rather than the author.
    Hamilton starts off by belittling Mallory Park, the place where my relationship with motorsport began.

Anyway, I have it as an audio book, and the guy who does Niki’s voice seems to have his deadpan humour well covered.

Sample: on hearing that his grandfather had pulled strings to get an Austrian bank to withdraw its sponsorship of Niki’s F2 car.
    “I rang up my grandfather, he explained that no Lauda should be a racing driver, and I told him to go **** himself and get the **** out of my life. My only regret is that he died before I became World Champion.”

#RtR !

3. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    BTW, could you lend the Newey book to Mattia ?

4. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Villeneuve by Gerald Donaldson is very good.

pilotoCS, amerikalei and 05011994 like this.
  5. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    Agreed, I particularly liked the part about he “borrowed” tools early in his career.

6. amerikalei

amerikalei Karting

May 23, 2011
    Thanks. I enjoyed his Hunt book far more than Against All Odds, which I read long ago.

7. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Have you read Steve Matchett's "The Mechanic's Tale"? It is a quick, interesting read.

Same goes for "The Limit" by Michael Cannell. It looks back at the 1961 season.

And if your eyes get tired, "Beyond the Grid" a F1 podcast, has some great interviews with past and present drivers. Jackie Stewart and Mika Hakkinen were, I thought, particularly good.

amerikalei likes this.
  8. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    A fun read: Flat Out Flat Broke- Formula 1 the Hard Way!, by ex-Andrea Moda driver Perry McCarthy.

greyboxer, Nembo1777 and amerikalei like this.
  9. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I just ordered Crashed and Byrned the Tommy Byrne autobiography. It should make for perfect summer reading.

amerikalei likes this.
  10. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Well speaking of F1 books Thursday late morning during my short holiday in Switzerland I walked through Gstaad and suddenly there in the doorway of an art gallery I see Bernie Ecclestone himself. He lives there part of the year and owns a hotel there too.

He was alone relaxed, nobody around (tourism has not really restarted from what I saw: empty parking lots) so I introduced myself which was more than a bit surreal, it was facilitated by the fact that we know in common someone I wrote a book with and I mentioned another automotive journalist whom I know who went to Biggin Hill (an airfield near London) to meet him and do an article on him and his collection, housed there.

So we talked for a few minutes about books and surprisingly he said that a proper complete book has never been done about F1, from 1950 to today.

When I politely objected that it would be 8000 pages and would have to be better than the F1 annual yearbooks he dismissed that stating they missed a lot and insisting it should be done.

Interesting point of view and of course who more than he knows F1 history...not a topic for me though. Such a monster endeavour -if it ever gets done- would have to involved several generations of F1 journos and Jenkinson, Crombac etc are no longer with us. Of course their body of work is but it is not the same. Obviously I was thrilled to have met him.

375+ likes this.
  11. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    So I guess that means the huge Opus books he signed & signed off are of no value !

12. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    That is what he was implying yes: that they could have been much more complete.