F1 Clienti at Zolder last weekend - chassis numbers? | FerrariChat

F1 Clienti at Zolder last weekend - chassis numbers?

Discussion in 'F1' started by trmather, May 31, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. trmather

trmather Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2007
    Merseyside, UK
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Hi all,

Does anyone know the chassis numbers or the cars that were at Zolder last weekend? Found this on an F1 group I'm part of on Facebook and we're wondering which car is which.[​IMG]

Barchetta.cc doesn't seem to have acknowledged they were there so perhaps not an officially backed day out?

Looks like a 312B2, 643, F92A, 412T1 and finally a F310B. I'm especially interested in the 90's cars but if the information is publicly available could anyone share it?

Cheers if possible, understandable if not.

NürScud, NEP and crinoid like this.
  2. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    crinoid likes this.
  3. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Interesting. I found this video of the event:

None of them have the chassis # on the nose and I noticed they all wear Marlboro logos. That would mean these cars likely don't participate in any Clienti events and that they are stored and managed outside of Maranello. Clienti removed tobacco ads. Still no answer on which chassis those were...

NürScud and crinoid like this.
  4. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Interesting that all of the cars at our F1 Clienti event here in Atlanta in March were newer than any of these! I particularly would have liked to have seen a car like the B2.

This was clearly a regular historic racing event that just happened to attract a bunch of F1 Ferraris. So clearly Maranello had no connection with the event.

5. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    At historic races, whether here or in Europe, if you are running a car that originally carried tobacco sponsorship but are in a country that now prohibits it on racecars, do you have to remove it?

6. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Apparently not in Switzerland based on that historic race this past weekend. I don't think they can do anything about grandfathered cars in private ownership. I think Mclaren and Ferrari remove tobacco ads since they currently race and don't want to make an image that they are currently sponsored by tobacco companies and advertise for them (at least obviously).

Honda brought their MP4/4 (chassis #5) to Goodwood a few years ago and ran it on the hill with full Marlboro livery and no issues. I think the same would be okay in the US.

7. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Why Zolder? lousy place, mediocre track and I am not even talking about the dark memory the place is plagued by. I raced there in FFord in 1987, not impressed, worst marshals I ever saw.

8. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
  9. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    That's my lottery winning fantasy, not just to buy a new Ferrari road car, but to get into the Corsa Clienti program!

10. trmather

trmather Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2007
    Merseyside, UK
    Full Name:
    Tom
    That's pretty damn amazing.

Still, any luck or knowledge from anyone about them? Might have to give Modena Motorsport an email and see if they'll help.

I keep a spreadsheet of 90's cars (not just the Ferraris but all of the teams) as a little hobby and it'd be great to add some more details. I've filled it up quite well so far but it's all from publicly available stuff via web searches and auctions and so on, as I don't have any connections to anyone in the world of F1 ownership. I'm well aware that private owners may want to keep those details private which is entirely understandable. I'll likely never be in a position to own an F1 car so it'll never be more than a hobby but it's something to keep my mind occupied at least :)

11. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
  12. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
  13. johngtc

johngtc Formula Junior
    Owner

Mar 4, 2005
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    John Gould
    Uwe Miessner, owner of Modena Motorsport (http://modena-motorsport.de/?lang=en) has been organising private test days for his clients for many years and I attended two or 3 at Spa in the 90s. They were only private in the sense that they were not publicised and a number of enthusiasts always attended - Peter:)

As well as a host of more modern F1 Ferraris, there were 512s, 312PB and other sports racers being tested and it was possible to get very close indeed, without hoardes of jobsworths blocking access. There were also some rare road cars in attendance.

I seem to recall that in pre Maffia days the Scuderia were not much interested in obsolete F1 cars and that Miessner was the unofficial outlet. As Speedcore says, an example followed by the factory once the opportunity for making money was identified.

14. Ferrari27

Ferrari27 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2010
    As long as the car ran with tobacco sponsorship originally, then it can continue to show that logo in a museum or historic event. Ferrari managed to keep their Marlboro branding for longer than other F1 teams by claiming that their barcode design was part of the livery of the car and nothing to do with Philip Morris (who just happened to be giving them loads of funding) so it may seem strange that they to not show the wording now. I think it comes down to whether money is being received. Someone who owns a 1970s McLaren is presumably not receiving any funding now from Marlboro so they could continue with the original branding. Ferrari, however, could have been in serious trouble if they were receiving sponsorship AND displaying Marlboro logos on historic cars at events and in their own museums.

Lots of owners and organisers seem reluctant to display tobacco branding on cars, even though a black and gold Lotus, or red and white McLaren do not need words to tell us who the sponsor was. The Lotus 72 was actually designated as the John Player Special, I think. This is all covered in Apoendix K of the FIA regulations which says that competitors are encouraged to run their cars in the original livery, as long as it is in the same colours and that the logos are of the original size. The FIA then cover themselves by saying that if a country restricts a certain type of advertising, it is the duty of the competitor to ensure that the livery of the car conforms to the local laws.

It is interesting that at Le Mans this year Porsche are running two cars in retro-liveries to celebrate their heritage. One of these is the "Pink Pig" 917 livery and the other one is in Rothmans colours.