F1 Clutch Job | Page 10 | FerrariChat

F1 Clutch Job

Discussion in '360/430' started by Andrie, Jul 18, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chdavis

chdavis Karting

Sep 19, 2015
    Philadelphia, PA
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Just ordered one of these - I should receive it on Monday. Can it be used to bleed the clutch? I apologize if this has already been answered.

I'd also like to modify my PIS value - which I realize is being discussed. Is there any consensus on whether this can be performed?

2. mkzhang

mkzhang Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Mike

I found it, thanks! I had some time and went into all the menu, went into "read data stream" and everything is there :)

Thanks mwstewarr too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. mkzhang

mkzhang Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Mark, do you know what the term "clutch wear index" means? Is it the clutch degradation index (CDI)?

4. mike01606

mike01606 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2012
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Mike M

Yes it is.....roughly 4300 on my car.

5. mike01606

mike01606 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2012
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Mike M

You will also need the software....

Exoerience at the moment is it will only accept whole numbers. The decimal is dropped.

6. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Clutch and actuator bleed work fine.

7. mkzhang

mkzhang Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Mike

Thanks again! Mine reads 340 which was what threw me off, I thought the CDI was supposed to start at 3,000 with 4K as the index point

8. chdavis

chdavis Karting

Sep 19, 2015
    Philadelphia, PA
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    What software? Would you mind clarifying?

9. chdavis

chdavis Karting

Sep 19, 2015
    Philadelphia, PA
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Thanks!

10. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    Ouch. I thought 5-6.5k was the going rate.

11. mike01606

mike01606 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2012
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    See earlier in the thread. Once you have the adaptor you need to PM mechanicservice6

You need an android device to run it on also.

12. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Jgivoo your inbox is full so I can't respond.

Hello,
    Read the F430 WSM to get an overview of the system and procedure before starting it.

Workshop Manual - F430 Spider | WorkshopManual.com

Regards,
    Mark Stewart

13. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    In case that WSM isn't complete my guide below:

Actuator bleed
    -Remove actuator;
    -Loosen the the three bypass port (bleed) screws;
    -Ignition on and run bleed procedure;
    -It is a 'dry' procedure and no need to top up the tank;
    --Tip: if the tank is overfilled the procedure will cause the excess oil to overflow. Leave the tank cap firmly screwed in place and put a catch can under the overflow pipe. This saves the mess of oil around the F1 tank area;
    --Tip: Once the procedure has completed - signified by a beep - have someone ready to immediately turn off the ignition. This saves the F1 pump from trying to build pressure in an open loop system when it returns to noral mode i.e. before you have chance to tighten the screws;
    --Tip: put a dab of external bolt seal in one point around the periphery of the screws. They can and do come loose, whether by poor design on inappropriate fastening during previous service operations - I don't know, but neatly seal them;
    - I used white RTV to reseal the actuator to the 'box. A bed of approx 1.5mm smeared on the entire face is sufficient i.e. not much.

Clutch bleed
    -'Wet' procedure like a brake bleed. The fluid level must be kept up;
    --Tip: I ran a test bleed to see how much fluid was used, and gauged how much additional fluid to pour in before the bleed, which from memory is about 10mm below the neck of the tank. With a couple of practice runs I perfected adding the right amount of fluid before a bleed leaving the correct level in the tank after the bleed. It means I can be under the car to tighten at the right moment;
    - The bleed nipple must be loosened slightly after the first pump activation - within a second or so - and closed before the last activation has finished. On my TCU there are six pump activations;
    --Tip: Have a practice run leaving the nipple open to determine how many pump activations there are. Use that to know when to close the nipple.

1.5l of fluid should cover both operations. 7se a catch can for the clutch bleed - don't use a pipe to return the expelled fluid back into the F1 tank.

imahorse likes this.
  14. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Great info Mark. Thank you!

15. mike01606

mike01606 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2012
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Mike M

+1

Have you found an actuator centering function Mark?

16. 2bf360

2bf360 Karting

Dec 18, 2014
    WA
    Full Name:
    Heng

Hello Mark, are the three bypass(bleed screws) can be accessed by NOT remove the actuator? Thanks.
    Heng...

17. mkzhang

mkzhang Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Just a general question:

Can the TCU change the PIS by itself as the clutch is being used?

18. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #243 mwstewart, Jun 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
    There is one, Mike, and I tested it but note you need the special tool #95973271. The procedure only needs to be run if the actuator has been disassembled or somehow the finger was forced out of its locked position on the shaft by an incorrectly setup TCU. The latter must be really unlikely but I guess anything is possible!

If you meant centering function for reattaching the actuator there isn't a need as the finger doesn't move during the bleed. If you do need to realign for whatever reason just open the bypass screw and move by hand. I have done it by eye. The finger will be stiff on the X axis but have a surprising amount of play in the Y axis. It is perfectly normal.

Edit: the alignment procedure sets the position of the actuator finger on its shaft. The second approach I describe does not interfere with this alignment, it just moves the complete finger as the actuator would if requesting neutral.

Hopefully that makes sense.

19. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Afraid not on the 360 or F430. It was possible on the car the actuator was originally designed for but on our cars it was flipped to make it fit.

20. mike01606

mike01606 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2012
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Mike M

Yes makes sense.....the one you need the centering tool for (HE supply one).
    I couldn't see it on the menu. I'll look again.
    I'm really curious to strip an actuator down but cannot reassemble without the centering procedure.

blueTT likes this.
  21. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    It is called 'actuators calibration' or something similar.

The clever bit of the actuator is the design and use of the oil pressure. They aren't particularly complex from a service perspective.

22. KJB355

KJB355 Karting

Apr 4, 2006
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Kenneth Brom
    Reporting back on the PIS setting. Quick recap - was able to change PIS using whole numbers. My experience was entering 4 was a setting of 3.98. 5 = 4.97. I left it at 5. The creep is completely gone. The engagement is very, very slightly delayed. Maybe 100 rpm instead of 50 rpm. Launch to full engagement is around 1,600 - 1,700 RPM. Would I like to tighten the PIS a bit - yes. But for now, I'm not creeping and have no worry of damaging the gearbox.

23. 2bf360

2bf360 Karting

Dec 18, 2014
    WA
    Full Name:
    Heng
    When I did the system scan on my car it showed that its equipped with 2 gear boxes, 2CFC231 and CFC301? any info greatly appreciated. Please see attached photo.[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

24. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    The F430 up to the 2008 model year used the 2CFC231 transmission (SOFAST II system).
    The 2008 model year F430 switched to the CFC301 transmission (SOFAST III system). The SOFAST III system now incorporates a pressure sensor on the clutch hydraulic actuator in order to give the TCU feedback on how the spring pressure on the clutch pressure plate is engaging the clutch. You can see the sensor screwed into a junction block where the pipe from the throwout bearing connects to the supply hose.

It also incorporates a longitudinal acceleration sensor to allow the TCU to properly manage take off when the car is on a slope.

You can feel a marked difference between the the two systems when taking off from a stop, as the SOFAST III system is a large improvement.

As far as replacing the clutch, you need to have a diagnostic computer that is capable of learning the configuration of the spring characteristics of the new pressure plate, using the information from the clutch pressure sensor.

25. mkzhang

mkzhang Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hey thanks for sharing for your experience! I am still hesistant to touch the PIS without the ability to do decimal places.

If I have time this weekend, I am hoping to test out the real time graph / monitoring ability of the app and do a short write up on how to check if the F1 gear box is engaging the clutch (aggressive vs. smooth).