F1 Dinner Imola GP | FerrariChat

F1 Dinner Imola GP

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by tifosi12, Apr 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    On Friday at 5pm we'll have a nice early Italian dinner at Marlot on 16 W Maple in Chicago.

What makes this place special is their Bolognesian cuisine with tortellonis and tortellinis, both very typical for that region (Imola is a 30 minute train ride outside of Bologna).

Any joiners?

PS: This will be the last F1 dinner for a while. I'll be having the Spanish one on location.
    :)

2. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Andreas, what's the dress code like? I'm going to the Cubs game that afternoon, so I'm not sure if the two events will compliment one another very well.

3. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Great........ I can't make it.

I'll be in Oswego IL that evening! :(

4. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    It's a regular restaurant, SOP. I bet you'll be fine coming from the Cubs game.

5. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
    I want to go since I pushed this idea, but location and time is not going to work. It would take be about 2 hours to get there out from the northwestern burbs given the time and day. I have also promised to stick by a prior obligation I keep blowing off.

This is why I have suggested the idea of an F1 lunch or get-together instead of dinner. If it takes place out in the burbs the threat of a valet not tearing up your car, fighting the traffic there and back, and not beaching your Fcar on a curb less likely. Plus, evening events for those with kids are tough to plan, and if it was a saturday or sunday afternoon event things can be scheduled so the kids can be looked after or even brought along. I don't think I would ever feel comfortable brining an exotic car to the city, ( I have enough problems having taxi's buzz around the H2. )

I really like Chelle's idea of driving up to the border to a place like Freddys. The drive will be more pleasing, our cars can be displayed outside with ease, and we can sit back on some patio watching the race while the little kids or those not as involved with F1 can explore around the cars or surroundings.

I will definitely be up for this. If the Brazil GP/Downers Grove thing works, regardless if it is a show or just us Fchatters getting together, I will show for that too.

RocketBoy

6. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    This is not the first time I've heard this, so Rocketboy don't think I'm just picking on you:

Some of you have real misconceptions when it comes to driving in the city.

- There are lots of self parking garages around.
    - The only time my front wing got beached was in the suburbs while driven by a suburbanite.
    - There are quite a few Ferraris living in the city and FCA holds two great events right in the streets of downtown (Oakstreet and Monroe street events). Many really exotic and expensive Ferraris show up in these, actually driven there.
    - IMHO one of the most beautiful roads you can take your Ferrari on is along Lake Shore Drive. Another great experience: The lower Wacker drive tunnel. Do it with an open window and a tubi and it'll take a long time to get that smile off your face.

If you don't like the long drive into the city, I can certainly understand that (I have the same issue going to the burbs), but then say so and don't just pick on the city.

<Andreas stepping off Richard Daley's soap box>

7. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    That's right. You've never seen me after a Friday Cubs game ;)

8. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Don't forget the Curb "Boo Boo" at Montrose harbor on our L.S.D. Drive....:(

I love to drive up and down L.S.D. But,I lived in the City for almost Half of my life. Too crowded for me...I'm spoiled now with all of the Wide open spaces and Unlimited Parking,no trafffic,etc...of the 'Burbs. I guess I'm getting old....I used to LOVE the Excitement,Crowds,Crowded Bars,etc...of the City... Not anymore. Now,it's an annoyance...:( Sitting through 2 or 3 lights trying to make a Left turn,because there isn't a Left turn lane,because the street is too narrow to put one in. Single lane traffic,all the way down.But,some people trying to pass on the right... Oh yeah. Nothing more fun than trying to drive up Clark St. On a Friday Night,or Saturday Morning. Then,try to find a place to park.... No,I am too old to tolerate that stuff anymore....No Patience.... (I often wonder if Roger Daltry still "Hopes that he dies before he gets old...." :) )

I also know a guy who got "T-Boned" on a Sunday Morning when he was driving Downtown. He said that He loves Downtown,but,during the week,it's way too crowded. So,he went down there early one Sunday Morning,just driving up and down LaSalle,Dearborn,State,etc...Looking at the Architechture. And,a drunk decided that because there wasn't any traffic,that he wasn't going to Stop at the Red lights....Boom!!!

My buddy was Hurt,but basically,O.K. His car was a total loss,though. But,I suppose that something like that can happen anywhere....

But,I certainly do not miss having to park my car 2 blocks away from my house when I got home after a late night partying...then,forgetting where the heck I parked it the next day....:)

9. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    That one doesn't really count as it was on grass and my own stupidity. Could have happened anywhere. Had nothing to do with the city.

As far as congestion goes: I wasted about 20 minutes trying to get through freakin' Geneva on my way back on Sunday. Just because of two silly lights.

10. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
    I want to go today, but the main reason is that I have a prior dinner obligation. Second, its the wait in rush hour traffic not moving for a few hours...

A Sunday morning drive into the city sounds like something I would do, maybe even this Sunday.

Frank, a funny city story I have heard about is through my dad. While at a party at the Drake or something, my parents had their nice Benz S class parked by the hotel valet. As they left later in the evening my Dad commented to my Mom how the seats felt as if they had been moved and that the car's gas supply seemed to be a lot lower than he had remembered. Sure enough, a parking ticket comes in the mail a few weeks later for "parking on a sidewalk." The location was in the toughest, most gang infested, more burnt out buildings than people area of south Chicago. Car wasn't damaged at all, but it is disapointing that a well known hotel would hire people or a manager failed to notice his valets leaving. The business that held the party was happy to pay for the ticket and I think simply sent it to the hotel. No one hurt, and the Benz was never seen on World's Scarriest Police Chases or used in a drug deal, but I still think it was funny.

When will the next Museum Campus photo op happen? Those shots of all the 3x8s and the Chicago skyline are wonderful.

RocketBoy

11. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    August 22nd, Sunday

I'll organize that drive and we'll be starting somewhere South (probably Science & Industry) and work our way up to Evanston's Bahai Temple. Many foto ops. Would be great to have your Maranello on it.

12. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
    Hey Andreas,

Did anyone show? If I recall the Cubs won so Jack should have been happy. How was dinner?
    Schu is 4 for 4! I have yet to see a race this year but is he that dominating? Jenson Button gave him a run last race? Jense must be getting some pressure from Louise to stop being just a pretty boy and leave the good looking to her. If this keeps up are we going to see another attempt for a dead finish with Schu and Rubino?
    Im just glad Montoya is still being a baby. I thought he would give Williams and thei rradical car his all before the switch, but from what I read it seems McLaren and Williams are kind of stumbling out of the gate with grips to their car and blaming tires at other times.

Rocketboy

13. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Nobody showed so we had a romantic candle light dinner at Merlo. Absolutely fantastic and authentic Bolognese cuisine. Can't tell you what I had as this will be part of the annual F1 dinner contest, but believe me it was worth the money. Probably will go back there next year. That is if there is still an Imola GP. Maybe not.

I just love Chicago: Where else can you not just have Italian food, but actually from the area in Italy the race is in.

As far as your other questions go: MS is THAT good. Rubens, well there is a reason he is #2. And if he continues his lackluster performance, Jenson will soon top him. Which I wouldn't mind. I always was a big fan of Jenson. Have a big poster of him in his first Williams year hanging in my office. He is almost as good as Alonso who one day will get towards the MS level. Just my crystal ball speaking...

JPM did fairly well. His press interview was a desaster but at least it gives the fans something to talk about.

Anyway, thanks for checking back. You guys have a nice Spanish lunch. I'll have mine in Barcelona...