F1 driver career earnings . . . . | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F1 driver career earnings . . . .

Discussion in 'F1' started by Jean-Pierre Marchand, Apr 6, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    And of course you believe that.
    People have some reluctance to admit their motives in public.
    OK, but whatever the reason is, Red Bull doesn't pay its drivers very well, and after a while, they think about cashing on their talent somewhere else.
    I think the reason Webber, Vettel and Ricciardo left was money.
    A retainer is like a price tag in F1, and if a team like RB don't reward its drivers, it's a clear indication they don't value them much.
    It's excusable for small teams, but not for the top 3.

2. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Very interesting indeed. I presume a large chunk of each drivers total package which comes from endorsements is not reported here.

Ham and Vet are at the right level for what they are. No arguments there given they have 9 WDCs between them. Although Vet is now at risk of making Leclerc look like the bargain of the century...

Ricciardo ($31m) vs Hulkenberg ($4m) makes no sense. None. Ricciardo was only ever a number 2 driver at RB. He's done exceptionally well to cream as much as he has. It won't last.

Why is Stroll paid anything????!

Of the new boys, Norris and Russell are clearly a bit of a bargain.

3. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Ricciardo's retainer may indicate how desperate Renault was to recruit at top driver.
    He may look second rate to you, but some would say Ricciardo is definitely among the 5 best drivers on the grid, and a proven GP winner as well.

Stroll is paid by his father, who probably wants to enhance his son's status with a good price tag.

Norris and Russell drive for McLaren and Williams, and have everything to prove yet to improve their market value.

4. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Renault paying Ricciardo what he is very much has to do with ''compensation'' for not being able to drive a winning car, leaving a winning team and tempt him away from all that.

lagunacc and william like this.
  5. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Ricci is a good driver but making 3x as much as Mad Max? It's conceivable Renault sweetened the pot with the understanding that Ricci would be in an inferior car to RB for 1-2 years.

lagunacc likes this.
  6. Mbutner

Mbutner Formula 3

Aug 11, 2005
    Bay Area / Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Quick Draw
    I believe the person you were quoting was speaking (typing) tongue in cheek.

7. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    From what I have heard, Ricci had set his heart on Ferrari, who were dithering over offering him a contract, but the death of Marchionne threw things in the air, and when the cards fell, the LeClerc move was authorised to honour a deal M had promised, and with the reluctance to swap Vettel at the same time given they had a relative rookie, stuck with him and there was no room for Ricci. He therefore took the only other viable option open to him - go to Renault believing their promises that they will improve and soon be a top team for a bloody good retainer. Red Bull was an option according to most, but for Ricciardo, he already knew Max was the number one option in their eyes, and so he had no chance of shining as a potential champion there

william likes this.
  8. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Ricciardo is already 29, I believe, so in the middle of his career already.
    The eventuality of a world title is elusive at best (even in a top team), so realistically cash in the bank makes sense.
    Red Bull doesn't pay well; it's notorious. Even 4-time WDC wonderboy Vettel was not rewarded as such, so he departed.
    Ricciardo may have made his decision in a fit of pique, seeing that the Red Bull management threw all its weight behind Verstappen.
    If his contract is only for 2 years, it make sense for Ricciardo to keep his powder dry, so to speak, and go to Renault.
    He will see how the drivers market evolves until 2021. There may be other opportunities then, that decide him to move if Renault don't improve.

375+ and daytona355 like this.
  9. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Better to be a works driver with the possibility of improvement than the midfield independents that seem to reach a glass ceiling these days, with even McLaren and Williams unable to impact upon the top echelon anymore

william likes this.
  10. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Ricciardo is finished after Renault. He will be seen as very bad value for money and none of the top teams will touch him. Why should they when there are so many younger, faster and cheaper options out there? He’s basically sold out, taken the Renault cash and will be gone from the sport in 2 years.

11. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    This also makes my point that non of them is actually worth 30-40 million a year....
    Look who is on top: the three top drivers of the three factory team plus one of a wealthy drink company. None of these teams need to make profit at the end of the season, those in teams that actually have to look after the money earn less than a tenth of the top ones. So these drivers are not payed for the business they generate but only for publicity that is not measurable, so I stay with my opinion that they are overpaid for what they do

daytona355 likes this.
  12. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    When parents give their kids money it is called pocket money...
    Difference: my parents could not deduct it from tax :D

stavura, Bas, daytona355 and 2 others like this.
  13. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I'm not sure about that.

14. cairns

cairns Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2003
    Potomac MD
    Full Name:
    George Williams
    Hamilton wins again!

ATBNM3 likes this.
  15. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    True enough, but after reading the likes of the below post, it must certainly be a bitter pill to swallow, of course that's taking into account that one can even comprehend it, not that it matters anyway ;)

ATBNM3 likes this.
  16. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Leclerc now 2nd favourite for WDC @3/1 , he should be inline for a huge pay rise within a couple of years.

ATBNM3 and william like this.
  17. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Living in a country where free speech and differing opinions difficult to comprehend for you are they? Never mind, everyone makes allowances for all you Elton cheerleaders.

Jakuzzi likes this.
  18. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Yes, Leclerc is a welcome arrival among the potential title winners, and someone to brighten up the F1 scene, rather stagnant these last few years.
    If his form for the rest of the year is anything like what he demonstrated during the first 2 GPs, he will probably become de facto team leader at Ferrari.
    On a personal level, I like his understated personality, his modesty and calm.

19. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Formula Money is a consultancy firm that Forbes uses to get their numbers and Forbes/FM mentioned Lewis made $9 million from endorsements in 2018.

The same story suggested that Schumie only made $38m/yr at his peak but that contradicts what Forbes wrote back in 2005 ;) The story at the time said Schumie was making $80m/yr.

Formula Money started their reports in 2007.

This old site mentions the original Forbes/Eurobusiness story. https://thetyee.ca/Mediacheck/2006/07/11/TrendWatch/

Michael Schumacher, the Formula One driver made $80 million US in 2004 (in 2005, he became the first billionaire athlete according to EuroBusiness magazine, not available online) and Tiger Woods made $80.3 million US.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Jakuzzi, jgonzalesm6, stavura and 3 others like this.
  20. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    pathetic

daytona355 likes this.
  21. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Chuck's down to earth nature makes him easily likeable. Also think having Jules Bianchi as his godfather and going through that tragedy and his own father passing away right before a race that he subsequently won has made him level-headed and mature for his age.

daytona355 and william like this.
  22. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    Ugly? Are any of yours hotter?

Jean-Pierre Marchand likes this.
  23. Jean-Pierre Marchand

Jean-Pierre Marchand Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 21, 2019
    Mont Royal, QC
    Full Name:
    Just call me J.P.
    After about a month here on F-chat and the F1 forum, I've figured out that "Elton" is Lewis Hamilton. However, I still can't figure out the similarities to Elton John . . . unless there's another Elton you're referring to. Please explain.

Jakuzzi likes this.
  24. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    That's gonna have to be tabled on a PM (private message).

Jakuzzi likes this.
  25. Jean-Pierre Marchand

Jean-Pierre Marchand Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 21, 2019
    Mont Royal, QC
    Full Name:
    Just call me J.P.
    Thanks for the PM. I think they're wrong about Lewis.