F1 Gearbox Issue | FerrariChat

F1 Gearbox Issue

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Anthony Troy Taylor, May 26, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Anthony Troy Taylor

Mar 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Hey everyone,

Im hoping to get some help, I've recently swapped gearboxes as mine bit the dust and I've installed a new one and Im getting some codes popping up now, and not able to get the gearbox into gear.

It will only go from park to neutral.
    When reading it for codes, Im getting
    P094 - App System pressure no signal
    and
    P196C - App parklock invalid signal (high level parkock fault)

The pressure come and goes, but the parklock is always there, and I think thats preventing it from going into 1st gear.

Anyone know whats my best course of action for this, what cable/ecu controls the parklock, is it the same cable that runs to the gearbox?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

2. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    Which model California do you have and which model did the replacement box come from?

3. Anthony Troy Taylor

Mar 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    The gearbox came out of a same 2010 California.

Im down to two thoughts, the DCT module is bad, or the cable to the gearbox is bad.
    I am just unsure where the sensor is for the parklock, and what may think its messed up.

4. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I am just guessing but these modern cars that use the CAN bus can use software to restrict recognition of certain major components to only ones that the ECUs are programmed to recognize. The factory can use this to prevent incompatible or unauthorized replacements.

I am suggesting this partly because the P196C fault code you mention as a “high level” fault. In computer operating systems jargon, high level refers to user or administrative level events and do not indicate a problem in hardware or software, but rather, that it is an improper or incompatible software configuration or setup.

5. Anthony Troy Taylor

Mar 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Hmmm does anyone know of devices that can program the Ferrari ECU, Ive looked into the Autel 908Pro but not fully sure what programming capabilities that would have.

6. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    You need a DEIS.

7. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    When Ferrari/Getrag manufactures a DCT gearbox, it is tested and a software file is created for that particular serial number gearbox. All of the parameters that are required to operate that serial number gearbox are in that file and it must be downloaded into the transmission ECU in order for it to operate correctly.

When you get a new replacement DCT gearbox from Ferrari, the matching software (called a marriage file) is downloaded from the factory to the dealerships diagnostic computer, which is then downloaded into the cars transmission ECU by the technician.

Unless you have some friends in high places at Ferrari, I don't know how you are going to get the correct marriage file for your used transmission. It may be possible that it will work with the software that is already in the transmission control unit, but you are going to need a Ferrari specific diagnostic computer to be able to clear the fault codes to figure out what is going wrong.

The park-lock is inside the gearbox, and is controlled by a solenoid/oil pressure from a signal output by the transmission ECU. There is a manual over-ride for the park-lock that is a special tool that is in the toolkit and is inserted into the gearbox through a hole in the trunk floor in order to get the gearbox out of park when the battery is dead (read your owners manual for the procedure).

Carnut and 4th_gear like this.
  8. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Thanks very much for providing the useful technical low-down. It will save some owners potential frustration. I can only guess at what our Italian designer friends may have been imagining when they considered the consummation of such a marriage "contract". :D

tomc likes this.
  9. JeremyE30

JeremyE30 Karting

Jun 12, 2013
    GA
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    Did you ever find the issue? I am having the same codes but the transmission was never changed. It will not go into P or R.

10. JeremyE30

JeremyE30 Karting

Jun 12, 2013
    GA
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    Edit: it will not go into drive or R. Only neutral.