F1 gearboxes:white elephant of the future? | FerrariChat

F1 gearboxes:white elephant of the future?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Bullfighter, Jun 23, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    In one of the sale threads, there's discussion about an F430 with the old style three pedal/stick transmission, and as always it's listed for a significant premium over the base F430 with F1.

Given that the DCT in the 458 was a step forward and seems to be the accepted evolution of the manual gearbox, are we looking at a situation where F1 boxes are going to be a liability over the long haul?

The market overall looks very frothy to me right now, with regard to the newer used stuff. But that doesn't explain a premium for three-pedal over F1.

2. Loz997S

Loz997S Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2007
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Laurence D
    I don't think it's a response to F1, I think there'd be a premium of manual over any flappy paddle option right now. Folks are just craving what they can't have.

3. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    If you want a 3-pedal they're harder to find and thus will cost more to purchase. I think it's as simple as that with an added flappy paddle fatigue. Unless its on the track you're not going to fully experience it. I think the buyers in this market segment are finally coming to appreciate that the driving experience with 3 pedals is engaging and they want that. It's not all about performance. unfortunately, there are only a number of cars that have 3 pedals that offer it.

4. exotic30

exotic30 Karting

Jun 22, 2008
    #4 exotic30, Jun 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    There will be a point where the new generation does not know how to drive a manual car and will know automatics and paddles only and at that point manual cars will be ancient history.

Think of it -- how many find the Ford Model T transmission desirable?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I don't think it is a stretch to consider the modern manual transmission a significant generational improvement over the Model T transmission. No one missed it when it was replaced. I don't think at least as of yet on year 16 and counting of the F1, that the same can be said.

6. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    F1 = expensive gimmick

7. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    Unforeseen maintenance issues would be my concern. In the grand scheme of cars, F1 boxes had a very short lifespan. Stuff will fail, parts will be scarce, and owners will fork over huge bucks.

Mark

8. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    A future business opportunity would be selling a conversion kit to convert F1 cars to manual. I think there would be a huge demand.

9. icecar-1

icecar-1 Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2008
    Topsfield/Danvers Ma
    Full Name:
    Steve
    As I have ordered a 2016 Z06/Z07 I opted to stay away from the 8 speed automatic. I tend to keep my cars for a long time and future parts supply and servicing is a concern. My 13 GS has paddle shifters and I'm not overly concerned as they have been around for awhile now. The F car units may present future unforeseen problems with parts and reliable techs who can service them. The Valeo transmissions then the F1 units and now cars E Diffs will make diagnosis and servicing challenging in the near future. Someone here posted that Ferrari stops making parts for a specific car once the paint dries on the last unit out the door...
    Yes, I'll stick with a 3 pedal car as long as they are available.

10. jkddad

jkddad Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2006
    Another anology would be synchro-mesh verses non synchronized, I'm sure there were plenty of drivers shouting, "it is not a true manual transmission unless you are double clutching, or grinding gears". I would guess, that just like non synchronized transmissions, in another 20 years, the only people that know how to drive a manual transmission, are the guys driving classic cars. Bring on a parade!!!

11. f360nh

f360nh Karting

Apr 12, 2014
    NH
    Full Name:
    John Q.
    What are these issues? When there's a problem there's an opportunity.

F1 actuators are already being rebuilt in a few places for a fraction of the cost;
    Pumps and such are available for a low cost (common part number with other vehicles in some cases);
    ECUs and such - oh well...still an open item, but people have taken things apart and flashed updated software (i.e. 360 CH Stradale on 360)
    etc...

I think the bigger concern is when stuff really improves so much so that the shift times and logic of older boxes make them appear clunky and outdated.

12. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    I despise automatic/manumatic/sportmatic/whatevermatic transmissions, so read this with that in mind, but ... new transmissions are inherently more complicated and electronic than older ones and all of those computers, solenoids, system interfaces, etc. are going to fail at some point. Where will you and your prancing horse be when that happens? How will you get it back in the barn?
    In my 88 1/2 Mondial one time the clutch slave cylinder ruptured. I was 210 miles from home, but I could start it in 1st, and with a little finesse, you can shift all day long with no clutch. Up or down! So I just drove home that way. Can you even start a car in gear anymore? I doubt it; certainly not w/ a paddle shift car.
    More importantly, how much will such repairs cost? I'm guessing that in the 308/328/Mondial series there have been almost zero problems w/ internals of the manual trans. I have 85,000 on mine, and the thing is as robust as new. Total repair costs to-date? Zip. Not even a new clutch.
    Anybody have 85,000 zero maintenance miles on an F-1 trans? I would like to hear of such stories!

13. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The actuators and power units are largely being repaired with existing parts scavenged from other cars. That will not get better with time.

They will be harder and more expensive to get serviced and repaired as time goes by.

I suspect partially for that reason and partially due to demand, conversion to manual operation will be more common in the future.

14. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    This. That's why I think there could be a bit of a "white elephant" aspect...three pedal manuals, DCT and traditional automatics seem like they will have the critical mass to go on. F1, not sure...

15. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    A friend just sold his 575F1 at just under 70 000 miles zero maintenance apart from one clutch which may or may not count as part of an F-1 trans

16. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    Manual transmissions?? Didn't know there were so many NASCAR fans on here.

17. psorella

psorella Formula 3

Oct 22, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    I know of several 355'S with first gen F1 paddle gearboxes and no explosions as of yet and these cars are almost 20 yrsld... :) Are they expensive to fix ? Definitely, but properly maintained I don't see why they wouldn't last as long as a 3 pedal manual. And parts for any manuals will become scarce not just F1... Just like some can't drive 3 pedals properly ,same can be said of F1... It's not everyone's cup of tea, but then neither is Ferrari...

18. forzatifosi

forzatifosi Karting

Aug 30, 2009
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    J
    I'm definitely in favor of 3 pedal cars whenever possible but I wouldn't pay an extra 20k for one...maybe an extra 10k. I have a love hate relationship with the F1 box in my QP ...the whole thing failed at 7500 miles and cost a pretty penny to replace..the auto mode is useless and terrible but on an open road it is a revelation..absolutely love it. As far as I know its pretty much the same as the one in a 360 which will probably be my next f car. I wouldn't mind saving $$ and getting another

19. F.Engineering

F.Engineering Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jan 23, 2015
    ITALY
    Full Name:
    Fabio
    Hi Jon,
    for me the people are little crazy .....
    people that never used a manual gear box now are crazy for that!
    For what? for a pleasure driving? oh yes move the baston if good, but also the F1 gearbox is good.....
    Some people think that in the future F1 willbe inaffidable and expensive to repair, and for that they want to pay a premium for manual gearbox, this premium will arrive to 500000$ for 599 manual ...
    I asking: how many time i will repair the F1 gearbox of 599 in the future with 500000$? ......
    DCT in the 458 was a step forward but also F1 was a step forward ....
    The new DTC have some problems and the repair is too expensive ... how many person know that?
    And if you want a 458 or a F12 with manual gearbox how can do? This represent a bad future for the 458 and F12? like the F1 gearbox? ....
    At the end come back my first thinking .....

20. Flash G

Flash G Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2006
    Hollywood Hills
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    There will always be people who want to just get in a car, press the "GO" button and drive fast, letting the car do all of the thinking for them. (Nissan GTR comes to mind.)

Then there are the rest of us who actually want to be engaged in every aspect of the experience. Like they say, it takes a stick to stir the soul. Hopefully manuals don't disappear from cars completely. But it's not looking good.

I will hold on to my Lotuses for as long as possible. Six speeds, no power steering, no electronic stability anything, no traction control (on the Elise)... And the most true, genuine driving experience you can get.

It will be a shame when eventually the computer does all of the driving, and not you.

21. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    my quick 2 cents:

initially the F1 was an awesome revolutionary novelty.

as cars age, there is a trickle down effect, i.e. the less wealthy get them. many are diy'ers, and have less disposable income to maintain them. The more complex so the more expensive and less diy'able they are. F1 set up despite its awesomeness 15 years ago (and still now) is a financial liability.

22. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    given that
    1. people who know how to drive manual probably will still be alive for another 60 years.
    2. self driving cars will likely be around long before that.
    3. the gen Y, and millenials don't care so much about cars like Gen x and other generations prior.

I don't think manual being ancient history is of any different than pretty much all current cars being history.
    wasn't Keynes who said "in the long run we are all dead"?

23. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Here, here!

24. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Sort of off topic. There are plenty of guys who can't drive an F1 or three-pedal manual very well and would do better with an automatic.

My thought was that we may be seeing both increased interest in retro-gearboxes but also some amount of worry that the F1 boxes (a) are going to be liability with regard to maintenance and repair and (b) they weren't as good as the latest DCTs. I remember my first ride in an F1-equipped 360 Spider, and was underwhelmed. I would easily take a 458 or a 328 over it.

I agree - at some point cars stop being serviced at the dealer and go to independents and eventually to some dude in his garage on the weekend. Basic stick shift cars are slower, but they're found in everything from pick up trucks to economy cars, so there's always a skill set out there, plus less to go wrong.

25. galt

galt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2005
    +1 The F1 gearbox is the same as the manual but with some relatively simple actuators that are easily available and being rebuilt. In fact, thinking about it, for that reason the dual clutch gearbox may be the problem one for collectors. My understanding is that they are much harder to rebuild (or Ferrari just replaces them too aggressively). Time will tell.

In addition, for a sporting car, the F1 technology, while not as refined, is a bit more fun for many.