F1 in self-destruction mode | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F1 in self-destruction mode

Discussion in 'F1' started by william, May 22, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Quit with the pigeon talk, now will ya ...;)

2. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    This ^

CW

3. nsxrebel

nsxrebel Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    Yet you are still here...

4. Nate Johnson

Nate Johnson Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2006
    USA
    I'm not trying to dogpile, but I haven't watched a race for three years. The TV coverage puts me to sleep. To attend live I t's $100 or more for general admission. There are too many other options.
    To restate others' objections to the current cars, I suspect that if there were no restrictions on engine layout, the V10 would be back. Remember the F399/F12000/F2001/2/3GA/4/5? Incredible cars. I can still hear the wail in my dreams!

5. Mulehead

Mulehead Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2012
    Why do people blame Bernie he's more for f1 than anyone

6. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Bernie undoubtedly grew the Golden Goose but it may be time to eat it before he leaves the table.

7. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Europe is the heart of the kind of automobiles we care about. Personally I don't care about NASCAR, Indy cars, or dragsters.

Judging by the listings in Classic and Sportscar there are the same or more classic and current car events on the relatively little island of the UK than there are in the entire US.

And the Germans and Italians love their cars as well.

How many car events are there in the Middle Eastern and Asian countries that host the "new" F1 races? As has been said, the races there are more political statements by the ruling powers than anything the average citizen cares about.

8. derty

derty Rookie

May 23, 2015
    Rome
    Full Name:
    Davide Giordano
    It is true the F1 is in self destruction mode and I can confirm there were many blue seat this
    afternoon in Monaco,

What they are doing is to collapse the F1 and force it to implode into the Formula Electric. If anyone was present during one of this races, it is obvious what they want to achieve and the amount of propaganda is amazing.

What is really sad is the fact that's not racing and it is sick and ridiculous...

Ayrton would have shout is disapproval .

9. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    He's made a lot of people very rich. That's not the same thing as doing right by the sport.

To be fair this mess isn't entirely of his making. The entrants, promoters and regulators all have roles to play.
    The teams and the FIA have abrogated their responsibilities to Bernie's cash machine.

10. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Really?

Mercedes and Benz (separate then) were pioneers in GP from the begining of the 20th century. Mercedes won the Grand Prix de l'ACF, one of the first race, and the GP de Lyon.

That's before WWI, and decades before Hitler and the Nazis came to power.

Germany, and France are the countries with the longest motor racing tradition, going back to the last years of the 19th century.

The Kaiser GP, the AVUS races and the Nurburgring existed well before the 30s.

11. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

You are wrong .

12. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Bernie had his use, but now he is overstaying his welcome.

Like all dictators, he doesn't know when to quit.

13. EnzymaticRacer

EnzymaticRacer F1 Veteran

Feb 27, 2005
    And your point?

14. NJB13

NJB13 Formula 3

Jan 5, 2013
    Pampanga,Philippines
    Full Name:
    Norm
    He's right

15. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Mercedes was given far too much say in determining the new formula by the FIA.

16. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    This ^^^

:(

I also miss the fuel strategies. No one knew what fuel level the cars on the starting grid were on. Plus the fueling rigs made for some serious drama.

IMHO

p.s. get well Michael.

17. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Do you mean by that that Ferrari and Renault didn't have the same input in the current regulations?

I read that several carmakers were consulted, in view to attract them, and that even VW and Honda had a say in the new regulations.
    Now, because Mercedes seems to have the upper hand, it is vilified for it.

I don't agree at all. Not only Mercedes has made a better job with its engine (sorry power unit), but with its chassis as well.

McLaren last year, Williams, Lotus have Mercedes PUs, why can't they compete against team Mercedes? What's wrong with their chassis?

If the token system, and the development ban are the hurdle for Ferrari and Renault (and Honda) to catch up, why didn't they object to these rules BEFORE the new formula came into play, and not 2 years down the line after accepting them?

Just like we had to endure a 5 years Ferrari stranglehold on the world tittle, and then Red Bull's 4 consecutive WDCs, instead of accusing them, we should accept that Mercedes is there to dominate for a few years, because it has a very good car, and a very good team.

18. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Today the car looked great and the team looked like chimps.

19. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David

My point isn't about how well any particular team did or didn't cope with the new regs, rather that the regs themselves have been harmful to the sport. That they were pushed by the big car companies and that despite dire warnings and reservations the FIA bent over.

20. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

my initial post was in response to 375+

« Mercedes wrote the rulebook, they should be vilified.”

If the rules are bad (and they are) why should only Mercedes be blamed for them, when other carmakers were also invited and participated in the draft of the technical regulations, later endorsed by the FIA?
    Why nobody blames Ferrari, or Renault, or Honda?
    Because Mercedes made a better job?

21. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Honda wasn't a part of those negotiations.
    At the time Renault was as vilified as MB. Now that they've screwed the pooch with their PU it would look like piling on.

Ferrari went with the money.

22. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    But why Ferrari and Renault are not blamed like Mercedes?

Also, I read differently about Honda...

23. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Because blaming Renault given their luck would be like hitting your little sister.
    Ferrari always gets a pass.
    MB is winning so everyone resents them.

24. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Whatever the rules (and I agree they are bad), whoever design the best car and the best engine shouldn't be blamed for doing the best job.

Anything else is just sour grapes.

I know this is a Ferrari forum, but somethimes the bias is just too much.

Should everyone have resented Schumacher's 5 titles on Ferrari too?

25. kingjr9000

kingjr9000 Formula 3

Sep 16, 2014