F1 light blinking on dash? | FerrariChat

F1 light blinking on dash?

Discussion in '360/430' started by djastral69, Mar 6, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. djastral69

djastral69 Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Fl
    Full Name:
    David
    #1 djastral69, Mar 6, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
    I just took my car for a drive after my oil change, oil is at the proper level. We changed all the fluids properly and cleaned the screen on the side of the gearbox and put it back properly. Two days later I get the blinking light for the f1 and it won't go into gear? I wait a minute, it goes out and everything is normal. We changed all the fluids properly and cleaned the screen on the side of the gearbox and put it back properly. Now today I drive the car and on the way home i et the blinking light again, now while driving? Again, wait a minute and it goes away and all is good? Any help on this? Transmission fluid low? Any help would be appreciated.

Is it possible to overfill the F1 transmission fluid as I topped it off?

'D

2. BLAMPEE

BLAMPEE Man Card Status: Never Issued

I have had this problem 3 times with my 355 F1. However, the major difference is that I have no problems getting mine into gear or shifting gears. All three times it happened while I was driving. No problems changing gears or engaging reverse as I pulled over into a parking lot twice to check it.

Took it to the Ferrari dealer, hooked up the SD computer and the dealer said that there was nothing abnormal in the reading.

Kinda weird, though!

3. djastral69

djastral69 Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Fl
    Full Name:
    David
    So, what did you do as the manual states that if the F1 light is flashing it means low pressure?

4. Ingpr

Ingpr F1 Rookie

Jun 30, 2009
    PR
    Full Name:
    David
    If you over fill your Tranny fluid it would came out anyway and you will notice the spill at the floor. Very important when you check the oil level at the canister the system needs to be warm but engine off and the key needs to be at second position. Very important to know is, did you change the ATF? If you did what oil did you used? I recomend the Redline fluid.
    One more question, does the pump sounds when you open the door?

5. djastral69

djastral69 Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Fl
    Full Name:
    David
    #5 djastral69, Mar 6, 2010
    Actually engine cold, it's in the manual. Pump sounds fine, just I have found that after any type of real acceleration it starts to blink and won't let me shift. I'm leaning toward a bad sensor as it is intermittent.

6. Ingpr

Ingpr F1 Rookie

Jun 30, 2009
    PR
    Full Name:
    David
    It sound like a gear actuator. Maybe Brian can comment more about this.

7. djastral69

djastral69 Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Fl
    Full Name:
    David
    #7 djastral69, Mar 6, 2010
    The F1 light starts to blink after any real acceleration and it will not shift gears when this is happening. If I let the car either idle or sit for a minute to three it goes off and everything is fine. If I leave and accelerate quickly or hard, when I slow down it'll do it again.
    When the light is Not blinking the car shifts fine and everything seems normal but when it comes on no shifting or if in neutral it won't go into gear until it stops flashing.
    It's a weird issue to have as when it's going into gear and shifting properly it's perfect but when the light starts blinking it will not go into gear if in neutral or shift if it starts blinking when in gear? I don't get it.

In the manual it says the 'blinking light' means low pressure? I checked the fluid and topped it off and it's perfect now. I did just change the brake pads and bleed the brakes, would this cause this if there's air in the lines?

8. djastral69

djastral69 Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Fl
    Full Name:
    David
    How would I get in touch with Brian? Thanks

9. Ingpr

Ingpr F1 Rookie

Jun 30, 2009
    PR
    Full Name:
    David
    Rifledriver

10. Ingpr

Ingpr F1 Rookie

Jun 30, 2009
    PR
    Full Name:
    David
    #10 Ingpr, Mar 6, 2010
    After one hour reading here is what the manual has to say to your situation;
    Hydraulic Power
    Sings of possible problems
    • The gearbox warning lights continues to flash
    • The electric pump is not properly activated
    • The system does not shift gears

Components involved
    • Battery knife involved
    • TCU
    • Electric pump relay and 30A fuse
    • Electric pump
    • Pressure sensor
    • Hydraulic circuit
    • Power u nit and actuators

Practical checks
    • Bt means by the Ferrari tester, check that the lines pressure between 42 and 60bar
    • If the pressure indicator is below 42bar, check that the electric pumps feature 12V battery using the 30A fuse and the RLE relay controlled by the 31 ECU.
    • If the electric pump is working properly and the pressure do not rise, check the pressure transducer of if there is any hydraulic leakage, including the screws using for draining the hydraulic actuator system and the oil lever at the tank.

When everything is working properly
    • The electric pump must be activated only when the pressure drops below of 42 bars and it must be deactivated when it reached 60bar (display on Ferrari tester)
    • The electric pump activation time during normal operation must exceed 4/ 5 seconds and the deactivation time must not be shorted than 8/10 seconds, the gear actuation is below described.

Notes:
    If the car is not started even if the starter motor works and not request for motor stop it is stored by the engine ECU, this means that the problem is not caused by the gear shift system.

I hope this works and good luck!!

11. BLAMPEE

BLAMPEE Man Card Status: Never Issued

I wasn't aware that if it blinked continuously that the system had low pressure.

My light came on and stayed on for 3-4 mins. But again, even when the light was on I could shift through all the gears while driving and stopped (including reverse) without any problems.

Again, SD showed no abnormalities so there wasn't anything I could do to fix it.

Sorry I can't be of more assistance.

12. djastral69

djastral69 Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Fl
    Full Name:
    David
    Thank you but exactly how am I supposed to interpit this and test the system? ;-)

13. Ingpr

Ingpr F1 Rookie

Jun 30, 2009
    PR
    Full Name:
    David
    #13 Ingpr, Mar 6, 2010
    IMO you have a bad pressure problem. Something is wrong with your oil pressure at high rpm. You should check the line pressure sensor located at the power unit. use a thread here were a member used a battery to test his pump and read what are the voltage output in that pump. The worst ecenario is changing that power unit or the pump. Try to test everything before you decide to change those components.

Take the car to the dealer If you don't found anything. Here are several threads regarding that F1 system. Now you wonder why the big part of the members here prefer a manual trany instead an F1.

14. djastral69

djastral69 Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Fl
    Full Name:
    David
    I just find it hard to believe that no one else had had this issue and what actually causes it? Brian was kind enough to reply to my question but nothing more than have someone with an SD2 to look at it. This I already know. I would just like to talk to someone who has had the same issue come up.

15. jdf

jdf Rookie

Mar 31, 2008
    Westerly, RI
    Full Name:
    John Fritz
    I've got the blinking light issue, although it only happened once, and you seem to have researched this better than most. I'm trying to check the fluid level in the F1 system and have the back cover off the engine bay, have found the small round canister that holds the fluid, but don't know how to check the level. Is that something you can instruct me on?

Thanks.

16. Ingpr

Ingpr F1 Rookie

Jun 30, 2009
    PR
    Full Name:
    David
    #16 Ingpr, Mar 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Ok, Here is a print screen from the manual regarding on how you can check your F1 oil. Send me your email and I can send you the owners manuals since it only size 12megas.

I hope this helps you!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. djastral69

djastral69 Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Fl
    Full Name:
    David
    Brother you should be getting paid for this...HaHa ;~).

18. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    BTW, I had an F1 failure light. After much wrangling, fluid replacement, etc. I figured out it was the reverse switch that was not returning on its own very well. But if I push it forward it stays put and all is well. Just an FYI.

19. ferraribuysell

BANNED

Apr 30, 2013
    I have had a problem with a 1999 F355 F1 I just bought with 32000 miles. When I drive hard and close to redline the speedo stops working and the F1 light comes on and stays on and I cant shift out of the gear its in. I stop check fluid its fine. Wait a minute and it goes away and shift fine. Whats the deal?

20. efetchko

efetchko Rookie

Mar 11, 2013
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    Eric B Fetchko
    #20 efetchko, Oct 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2013
    1999 355 F1 with 12,000 miles, After having my transmission sensor replaced as it had a broken wire and the Transmission light was solid red and would only go in 1st or 2nd, it worked fine for about a week. Now when its cold, I turn the key and the transmission light flashes 8 or 9 times and it wont shift to neutral. After it stops blinking, it pops into neutral fine. When I go for a spin, stop the car and start again, ie: warm, light doesn't flash and it pops right into neutral. No issue with the transmission light while driving. Ferrari dealer that dropped the tranny and replaced oil and sensor inexplicably doesn't know what it could be?

21. tr512

tr512 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2007
    canada burnaby bc
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Thats normal the pump is priming and will not shift if the light is flashing until it stops.If the car is sitting still it will only get 1 and 2 gear and reverse if it's running,But if the car is shut off you should get all your gears. And the dealer could'nt tell you that?

22. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    That procedure has been superseded. The new procedure requires an L shaped suction pipe that rests on the screen in the reservoir to remove any excess fluid -- in other words the correct level is with the fluid level with the screen. I guess you could look in there with a mirror to see where the level is.
    Alan

23. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #23 up4speed, Nov 12, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
    Is there any F1 fault that you guys can think of that would randomly illuminate the F1 error light (sometimes steady, other times flash) all while not losing any drivability whatsoever?

My car had the error light come on about 4 or 5 times in the past year and a half of ownership, but twice in the past week or so. I started getting a little concerned because of the frequency of occurrence lately. I would love to fix the problem, but I spoke to a mechanic who says that there is not much that they can do until the light stays on. My light has gone on for a split second all the way up to approximately 5 minutes. It always goes off eventually, and there is never any shifting issues even while the light is illuminated. I was suspecting that I had a weak pump because I thought that it was running longer than usual when I open the drivers door. I timed it, and it ran for exactly 9.5 seconds. From the research I've done, I think it is within normal specs. Plus, anyone that had the light illuminate caused by a failing pump, also had shifting issues or the gear box dropping into neutral.
    What part can I check/test/replace that would illuminate the light and not affect the shifting of gears at all?
    Are there any not so obvious things that can cause these symptoms, like bad ground connections, bad battery, bad F1 relay etc.? I'm leaning towards the F1 pump, but I think I'm just wasting money because when they go bad the shifting is typically affected as well.
    If anyone had the same symptoms, how did you fix it?

24. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    Yes, a leak.

On my car the light came on regularly for the last year and half, at least once a day I would see that light flash usually more than once. Dealer hooked it up to the SD2 twice and never found a problem, when I got my exhaust swapped out the shop found a F1 leak, they fixed it and no more light now. The leak was super tiny, I never had to add fluid (but I suspect the dealer did as part of the annual) and it was enough to cause the light. The car shifted fine, never missed a shift.

Dealer talked about F1 bleed screws maybe working loose and causing a loss of pressure, dealer talked about my pump going out. NOT my dealer fixed it as part of installing the exhaust.

25. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #25 up4speed, Nov 13, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
    Every 2 to 3 gear changes, the pump runs for about 3 seconds. Is that within normal spec?

When changing gears rapidly, and continuing even after the pump kicks on, the gear changes continued without a problem. There was no error light and the pump kept up perfectly to the gear change demands. I have to assume that it is not a pressure issue because if it was, I think that rapidly changing gears would cause the error light to trigger, wouldn't it? I also think that it wouldn't be a leak, if it was a leak wouldn't I have an issue every time I drove it? In my case, I can go 1,000 miles between error lights sometimes. It only happened about 4 or 5 times in a year and a half, that's why it's so confusing to me.